• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, zhamlau said:
12 hours ago, NoMan said:

THey must have the whole book as the Mummy story is there. Odd. I so wanna know the circumstances of how they got it.

Marie Severin donated it.

Has that been proven yet? So far it's just a plausible theory.

6 hours ago, nWo_22 said:
On 2017-03-16 at 10:27 AM, Jordysnordy said:

At the rate AF 15 increases in value, if you can buy one at FMV and have 6 months to pay for it at zero interest, once it's paid off you can probably flip it for an immediate profit so maybe this isn't such a bad strategy at all.

No that would be called a market bubble.

That would collapse the hobby.

That is exactly what is happening to most of the biggest keys right now. :makepoint:

45 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Nope, it has not. It remains a plausible theory. And based on what I've read by and about Ditko, it would be very unlikely that he would have donated it. 

I don't have the multi-quote function down yet.

1 minute ago, Pontoon said:
48 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Nope, it has not. It remains a plausible theory. And based on what I've read by and about Ditko, it would be very unlikely that he would have donated it. 

Mr. Pontoon, the easiest way to multi-quote is to highlight everything you want to quote and then a 'quote this' tab pops up and you click on it.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

6 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
53 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Mr. Pontoon, the easiest way to multi-quote is to highlight everything you want to quote and then a 'quote this' tab pops up and you click on it.

Ahh! Thank you! 

17 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Yeah, in the comic art groups i move in it was pretty much thought it was Marie who did it. As for Ditko, in theory objectivism and its followers shouldn't have an issue donating an item to the federal government like the AF15 pages so that wouldn't preclude Ditko. However based on his views about physical art from the past and its importance now I would think he wouldn't care enough to make the trip to donate it. I think right now its on her still as the single strongest option.

1 minute ago, zhamlau said:

26 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Yeah, in the comic art groups i move in it was pretty much thought it was Marie who did it. As for Ditko, in theory objectivism and its followers shouldn't have an issue donating an item to the federal government like the AF15 pages so that wouldn't preclude Ditko. However based on his views about physical art from the past and its importance now I would think he wouldn't care enough to make the trip to donate it. I think right now its on her still as the single strongest option.

Yeah, from what I've read she seems like the best guess.

Multiquotes! :whee:

38 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

:baiting:

8 hours ago, nWo_22 said:

After seeing this weeks ComicConnect's AF 15's auctions results, maybe it is time to sell my spare copy. hm 

af15_zpsb739c17e.jpg

Why not just trade it straight up for a 9.6, TMNT #1? :baiting: :shy:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

I know I've read before, but age/memory problems: how did MS get it and when? 

5 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Yeah, from what I've read she seems like the best guess.

I seem to remember someone who saw the artwork posted about asking the curator this question and she flat out denied it was Marie Severin.

Not even an "I'm not at liberty to divulge" but confirmed it wasn't her.  

Edited by r100comics

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

That is exactly what is happening to most of the biggest keys right now. :makepoint:

Not really Roy.

Hulk 1 has stabilized downwards since the fraud that was 4 years ago.

Most books you can't buy at full retail on 4-1-17 that stays the same grade and then sell it for 25%-40% more 10-1-17 without market manipulation or new movie news.  

Edited by nWo_22

On March 23, 2017 at 3:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Back to the financials for a few seconds here.  (tsk)  lol

Do you think this so-called "insane sale" at $57K is representative of the new normal for mid-grade AF 15's or can it simply be considered as an outlier, relative to current Price Per Point trending on this particular book?  (shrug)

Just wondering since we just saw a couple of astounding sales results for 2 relatively lower graded copies of early Detective's in the GA Forum, albeit they certainly presented far nicer than their assigned grades.  Is this the newest strategy for getting top dollars on your books now?  hm  :idea:

I thought it was to high for a price for that CGC grade.  It looked very clean though.  

4 hours ago, nWo_22 said:

Not really Roy.

Hulk 1 has stabilized downwards since the fraud that was 4 years ago.

Most books you can't buy at full retail on 4-1-17 that stays the same grade and then sell it for 25%-40% more 10-1-17 without market manipulation or new movie news.  

Now you're throwing all sorts of qualifiers into the discussion. 

Hulk #1 is picking up steam again. I have no idea what fraud you're talking about. The book legitimately jumped across the board, stabilized (and pulled back a bit in lower grades) and now is climbing again.

Anyhow, back to the discussion, this is what was said:

17 hours ago, nWo_22 said:

At the rate AF 15 increases in value, if you can buy one at FMV and have 6 months to pay for it at zero interest, once it's paid off you can probably flip it for an immediate profit so maybe this isn't such a bad strategy at all.

Sure enough, over the past 6 months you could have bought an AF #15, paid it off for 6 months and then resold it for a profit. 

You can add pre Robin Batman, Detective #38, Batman #1, Action #1, Detective #27, possibly TOS #39 and X-men #1 and Showcase #4 to that list. There are probably other books too but you get my point.

Does that mean you can do it every time? No, but certainly over the past year this seems to have been the case.