• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,525 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2021 at 4:27 PM, Dr. Love said:

So almost 12k for 5 high grade issues of promise Lovers' Lanes.

Wasn't me. Bueller?  All I can say is congrats to the winner and

CALL ME NOW

It wasn't me either.  I figured those books would go for about half that amount, but what do I know.  I really am curious to know who the winner is AND who is the under bidder.  Obviously more than one person is willing to pony up.

May be I just need to have another selling thread.  hm

On 9/21/2021 at 12:01 AM, Bumble Kitty said:

It wasn't me either.  I figured those books would go for about half that amount, but what do I know.  I really am curious to know who the winner is AND who is the under bidder.  Obviously more than one person is willing to pony up.

May be I just need to have another selling thread.  hm

Promise prices in general have been off the charts. High grade + new pedigree excitement + opportune selling time = $$$$$

It will be interesting to see if there is much impact on non-ped HG books in future auctions. 

On 9/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, Robot Man said:

I have collected Avons since the early ‘80’s and don’t recall ever noticing that one. That being said, I have collected very few “Love Books”...

Yeah nice Kintsler. The guy did amazing work and worked in about every genre there is. 

Here's a Kinstler splash for a full story he did. His portrait paintings paid the bills in his later life, some hang (or hung) in the White House. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

cPn9vPH.jpg

On 8/20/2021 at 6:47 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is there a consensus as to the first appearance of Good Girl Art?  Or is this an impossible question, with just too many examples that could be considered GGA?

This is an excellent question.  For certain, the phenomena of actual GGA predates comics (Enoch Bolles, Gil Elvgren, Earl Moran, Rolf Armstrong, etc.).  However, I remember when GGA was fairly recognized as a particular content in which a woman was shown in an innocent light and usually surprised at something or just innocently happy (hence Good Girl).  I don't care what certain C-grade sci-fi authors have said, this is not GGA.

943436120_BestTrueFactDetective_May1953_Front.thumb.jpg.cdd844bc7a3dee6d90e0e584589c9fd1.jpg

Why?  Because she doesn't look like she's well behaved or innocent.  In fact, she looks like the kind of lady that might ruin a guy's life.  Thus, not GGA.

Today, it seems that any illustration of a woman is called GGA as long as she's attractive or sexy or pretty (any drawing of a woman will do...).  Which is kind of weird to me.  And ultimately, makes it difficult to ascertain what the first instance of GGA in comics is.

I advocate for a return to the correct usage of the term.  The rest can be referred to as "Bad Girl Art" or "woman on cover" or whatever.  :sumo:

Edited by Randall Dowling
missing s

On 9/24/2021 at 3:02 PM, Randall Dowling said:

This is an excellent question.  For certain, the phenomena of actual GGA predates comics (Enoch Bolles, Gil Elvgren, Earl Moran, Rolf Armstrong, etc.).  However, I remember when GGA was fairly recognized as a particular content in which a woman was shown in an innocent light and usually surprised at something or just innocently happy (hence Good Girl).  I don't care what certain C-grade sci-fi authors have said, this is not GGA.

943436120_BestTrueFactDetective_May1953_Front.thumb.jpg.cdd844bc7a3dee6d90e0e584589c9fd1.jpg

Why?  Because she doesn't look like she's well behaved or innocent.  In fact, she looks like the kind of lady that might ruin a guy's life.  Thus, not GGA.

Today, it seems that any illustration of a woman is called GGA as long as she's attractive or sexy or pretty (any drawing of a woman will do...).  Which is kind of weird to me.  And ultimately, makes it difficult to ascertain what the first instance of GGA in comic is.

I advocate for a return to the correct usage of the term.  The rest can be referred to as "Bad Girl Art" or "woman on cover" or whatever.  :sumo:

Good Girl, bad girl... she'd have me writing bad checks within a week.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:23 PM, telerites said:

I never thought I would be interested in romance comics but this @*#&@*$&*$ thread hooked me and I blame all who posted as it bleeds my wallet even more :nyah:

Just starting taking some pics and here are a few that may or may not be that rare.

20210923_152440.thumb.jpg.051da255176836d47daac54b32c7c322.jpg20210923_152541.thumb.jpg.a8c7fb77b23d967e96569137b8e747f2.jpg20210923_152610.thumb.jpg.4ad8303f99faddf4ece3b29df565648a.jpg

Those should be in my collection - I'll PM you my address....

:golfclap:

On 9/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, Joshua33 said:

Good Girl, bad girl... she'd have me writing bad checks within a week.

There ain't no good in an evil-hearted woman
And I ain't cut out to be no Jesse James
And you don't go writing hot cheques down in Mississippi
And there ain't no good chain gang

On 9/24/2021 at 3:23 PM, telerites said:

I never thought I would be interested in romance comics but this @*#&@*$&*$ thread hooked me and I blame all who posted as it bleeds my wallet even more :nyah:

Just starting taking some pics and here are a few that may or may not be that rare.

20210923_152440.thumb.jpg.051da255176836d47daac54b32c7c322.jpg

Is this reprints of US material or is it original content?

On 9/24/2021 at 3:02 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Today, it seems that any illustration of a woman is called GGA as long as she's attractive or sexy or pretty (any drawing of a woman will do...).  Which is kind of weird to me.  And ultimately, makes it difficult to ascertain what the first instance of GGA in comics is.

I thought the good in Good Girl Art referred to the art and not the girl, similar to the way that Carl Barks was referred to as the Good Duck Artist back when readers didn't know his name.  "Bad Girl Art" I took to be a 90s riff on the term when a lot of cover artists started doing pin-up type covers of women looking "naughty", perhaps born of a confusion of what the Good in GGA was referring to, or maybe just an acknowledgment of it. 

If GGA was just about good girls, then presumably it could apply to any depiction of a young woman, even if she wasn't drawn in a revealing way.