• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,584 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes it is. And now there will be an actual recorded sale. Here is what it looked like before:

19569726-6368-46A4-A884-0C685E32026E.png

My first Baker romance was a low grade copy of 13 I paid $5.00 for. About a fair. I had it for awhile and tried to unload it, nobody wanted it. Finally sold, might have been here. Thought I could upgrade. Took years. Very tough. BTW where is the Ha article on the 20 rarest St. John's? I can't find it.

I really love the Girl Confessions 31 cover.  The slabbed copy that sold on HA a little while back indicates Gene Colon as the cover artist.  GCD also gives Colon the credit (which is probably where CGC pulled the attribution from).  I don't see it.  It also seems strange that Colon would have only done one cover for that series and no interior artwork.

I really want to believe it's a Hartley/Pike collaboration.  Hartley pencils and Pike inks?  Any ideas?

Girl Confessions 31.jpg

All-True Romance #11 CGC 7.0 finished @ $2040. I've been a believer in this book for some years; seems like it's starting to take off for real now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/romance/all-true-romance-11-comic-media-1953-cgc-fn-vf-70-white-pages/a/7270-96011.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

On 4/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, Point Five said:

All-True Romance #11 CGC 7.0 finished @ $2040. I've been a believer in this book for some years; seems like it's starting to take off for real now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/romance/all-true-romance-11-comic-media-1953-cgc-fn-vf-70-white-pages/a/7270-96011.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Great result! Really outdistanced the other issues in the run in the auction which are also relatively tough.

The headlights and booze are certainly a factor. Do you still have a copy? 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, Point Five said:

The romance heat is just begun and you were way ahead of it (thumbsu

Edited by comicjack

On 4/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, Robot Man said:

Generally not a big “love book” collector, but been after this one for years. A couple of grand? I think I can wait a little longer. 

On 4/9/2022 at 10:07 PM, Yorick said:

I'm running census searches looking for some other stuff and thought I'd try Girl Confessions.  No one has sent in a 32?!

Girl Confessions 32.JPG

Just love his line work such detail 

On 4/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, comicjack said:

The romance heat is just begun and you were way ahead of it (thumbsu

I mean, ATR #11 is getting the heat for its cover, but I love the whole crazy series. Some pretty outrageous stories, sometimes underneath fairly tame covers. I've been chipping away slowly at the ATR #9-20 run for many years.

Looks like slabbed copies of Dear Lonely Hearts also got some attention on HA... mid-grade copies went for mid-to-high three figures. Those are all really tough books too; wish I could have nabbed a couple.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, Dr. Love said:

Well, Jim Vadeboncoeur did the credits on this one and generally speaking his eye is supposed to be right on.

However. On this one, I'm with you on  Hartley/Pike.

I'm watching the Love Adventures #10 (Hartley cover) ending on feebay in the next 20 minutes...

I am retracting my Pike attribution and giving Hartley 100% credit for the Girl Confessions 31 cover.