• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,454 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2022 at 6:38 AM, C. Spaulding said:

The two copies with the pink writing were my old copies. It’s a ‘Ch’ short for Cherrainne which was my grandma’s first name. 

That's great to know, thanks.

And thanks again for the book. I just checked my old pm's and see I bought the 5.0 from you a year and a half ago on the boards. 

On 1/1/2023 at 8:37 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Is that actually a comic book, or are the contents primarily text with accompanying illustrations? It looks more like a pulp than a comic.

That is correct regarding the contents, approx 80+ pages.  It's not a pulp, because of its size, considered a digest.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

What a fantastic set! Well done!

Might I recommend Meguiar's Scratch X-2.0 for that OG case on the #6. Avail on amazon. I find it's the best product for cleaning them up, to whatever extent is possible.

Thanks, and thanks! Just added it to my next order. (thumbsu

On 1/8/2023 at 6:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

What a fantastic set! Well done!

Might I recommend Meguiar's Scratch X-2.0 for that OG case on the #6. Avail on amazon. I find it's the best product for cleaning them up, to whatever extent is possible.

That stuff works great, just takes a bit of elbow grease.

Pike romance covers for Atlas are rare.  14 of them - and Lovers 49 is undoubtedly the best of the lot.  Strong participation I think up to about 1K for this sole graded 4.5, and then it seemed to me two bidders went at each other above the 2K level.  A really strong price was the result, establishing this book as a minor grail for sure.  Remember - the underbidder is still out there, willing and able.

2023-01-14_125237.jpg.99cd8daebea122ab58752354181ac28c.jpg

In that Lovers 49, the interior art for the most part is strictly so-so.  In other words, just another day that ends in "y" in romance land.  Until you get to the last story...easily identifiable if you're familiar with his work.  Most are, but not so much in the romance genre.  That's a real shame, for he would easily be in the top 5 best artists for this kind of work if not for the extremely limited output.

Lovers49int.thumb.jpg.ae75cee2aeba26362a307349a45fc23f.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

On 1/14/2023 at 4:04 PM, Dr. Love said:

In that Lovers 49, the interior art for the most part is strictly so-so.  In other words, just another day that ends in "y" in romance land.  Until you get to the last story...easily identifiable if you're familiar with his work.  Most are, but not so much in the romance genre.  That's a real shame, for he would easily be in the top 5 best artists for this kind of work if not for the extremely limited output.

Lovers49int.thumb.jpg.ae75cee2aeba26362a307349a45fc23f.jpg

The red baby strikes again?

On 1/14/2023 at 3:56 PM, Dr. Love said:

Pike romance covers for Atlas are rare.  14 of them - and Lovers 49 is undoubtedly the best of the lot.  Strong participation I think up to about 1K for this sole graded 4.5, and then it seemed to me two bidders went at each other above the 2K level.  A really strong price was the result, establishing this book as a minor grail for sure.  Remember - the underbidder is still out there, willing and able.

2023-01-14_125237.jpg.99cd8daebea122ab58752354181ac28c.jpg

Though wrestling with a little seller regret, consignor is happy with the result! Curious if a boardie landed it.