• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,479 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2023 at 6:54 PM, comicnoir said:

Yes we were all tracking that. 

I didn’t realize you whales were watching this humble book, although the bidding should have tipped me off.

:gossip:  I woulda paid more, so I’m happy to get out of that with my skin . . .

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/6/2023 at 7:32 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I didn’t realize you whales were watching this humble book, although the bidding should have tipped me off.

:gossip:  I woulda paid more, so I’m happy to get out of that with my skin . . .

I looked up the notes on that one:

image.png.ec3a42aab9b1e462c620a9b2138d1f9d.png

It has some cover tanning, but the pages are OW/W. So the missing coupon knocked this one all the way down to a 1.5?

I could swear I've seen front covers with an accumulation of more "missing" paper get a higher grade.

On 4/1/2023 at 4:19 PM, Dr. Love said:

There are only 330, so we're not talking some huge amount.  The harder ones are the smaller publishers with one shots for instance.

Is that the number of pre-code romance comic books that were published? If so, I am surprised there were that few!

On 4/7/2023 at 11:49 PM, Dr. Love said:

330 titles, my friend. 5,846 books (total, not pre-code). 84% line drawn covers, 16% photocovers.  41 publishers participated.

Charlton had the most output at 1370 books, DC second at 932, Timely/Marvel/Atlas third at 556.

Thanks for this great info, Doc!:golfclap:

On 4/19/2023 at 11:58 PM, Dr. Love said:

here's an unattributed Colletta page from 1958 doing moonlight work...for DC

even just phoning it in, as he was at this point, his way of blocking these scenes was advanced for the genre

he took what he learnt from the talented artists who came before him and applied it in his own style

2023-04-19_205652.thumb.jpg.4a4534654bdb02375a82988c71c0a2fa.jpg

It is good composition but still he is lazy with backgrounds.

On 5/8/2023 at 6:13 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The Dragon Lady is no match for Terry

Looks like he helped her make up her mind.  That was VERY romantic.  B|

:insane: