• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,494 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2023 at 3:40 PM, manetteska said:

Question for all of you old-timers our there (: :

What does it mean if the Gerber Journal is missing a series completely?

I went to look for Girl Confessions #32 (as MCS has a blank spot for that issue) and didn't find an entry for Girl Confessions at all.

A lot of titles and issues from the 1950s were left out of the Gerber Guide.  Gerber has almost everything up through 1950 but it's selective after that.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:40 PM, manetteska said:

Question for all of you old-timers our there (: :

What does it mean if the Gerber Journal is missing a series completely?

I went to look for Girl Confessions #32 (as MCS has a blank spot for that issue) and didn't find an entry for Girl Confessions at all.

Not an old timer (I think???) but did notice many titles are under whatever they started out as -- so Girl Confessions (look in OSPG) was Girl Comics. Look in Gerber - he only has a few Girl Comics and one Girl Confessions (#14) but does have them listed in the issues. 

On 1/18/2023 at 6:00 PM, Qua-Brot said:

Not an old timer (I think???) but did notice many titles are under whatever they started out as -- so Girl Confessions (look in OSPG) was Girl Comics. Look in Gerber - he only has a few Girl Comics and one Girl Confessions (#14) but does have them listed in the issues. 

Atlas was horrible about this ... there was some type of fee for a new stand-alone title, and Goodman was VERY creative about avoiding it. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/18/2023 at 6:00 PM, Qua-Brot said:

I've heard that often publishers would change titles and keep numbering to fool newsstand guys.  They wouldn't want to order more or new titles so they'd go from a romance book to a horror book and keep the numbering.  The newsies would just see a number not caring what the title was and put it on the rack.  Pretty sneaky sis.....  :) 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:21 AM, pmpknface said:

I've heard that often publishers would change titles and keep numbering to fool newsstand guys.  They wouldn't want to order more or new titles so they'd go from a romance book to a horror book and keep the numbering.  The newsies would just see a number not caring what the title was and put it on the rack.  Pretty sneaky sis.....

They were attempting to fool the Postal Service.  Technically, a title change required them to register and pay for a new mailing permit to get the reduced shipping rate when mailing out subscription copies.

On 1/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, adamstrange said:

They were attempting to fool the Postal Service.  Technically, a title change required them to register and pay for a new mailing permit to get the reduced shipping rate when mailing out subscription copies.

Thanks!  I knew there was a good reason for this (and that someone would correct me!).  

On 1/18/2023 at 4:35 AM, jimjum12 said:

Don't know if I've posted this lately. It's certainly not common and features what used to be called the finest romance story of all time, if such a thing could truly be. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

yiCqLJ6.jpg

2SjHJHL.jpg

A long time ago, Russ Cochran published an over-sized high-quality b&w magazine that reprints all of Frazetta's romance stories.  I highly recommend it.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:37 PM, C. Spaulding said:

I'm not sure about the overall rarity of this one but I couldn't pass it up when I found it. I really like the inks on this cover.

IMG_8564.thumb.jpg.6aa01dec336763ff661ca23463793693.jpg

yeh, love it, another great clinch scene from Colletta.  

There are 21 issues in this title from '53 to '56.  As usual, '54 books are the sweet spot for Atlas romance.  If there are any graded books they're usually only one or two for an issue, mid grade at best.

For this issue, #9, none in the census.  It's the only pre-code for this title (out of 11) with no census.