• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

Actually I would consider Hulk 181 closer to importance with AF 15 than TMNT #1 to be honest strictly on pop culture importance.

I honestly would not put TMNT #1 in top 50 books of all time to be clear, but I do defend it as every much a mega key comic book as anyone can see by my posts.

Just curious would anyone agree with this order of importance as parameter of importance in pop-culture as of today's date.

1. Action Comics #1

2. TEC 27

3. AF 15

4 Hulk 181

I just cant think of any other comic book that is more important in 4th place in terms of popularity of the character than Wolverine after AF 15.

What do you guys have at #4?

BTW I am not saying personal preferences but a non-biased realistic list.

It really depends on your definition of pop-culture.

Show a picture of Wolverine to my mother and she won't know who it is.

She can name Superman, Batman, Spider-man, and TMNT, though.

(She also knows Archie, Wonder Woman, and every character on Frozen.) :grin:

Actually I would consider Hulk 181 closer to importance with AF 15 than TMNT #1 to be honest strictly on pop culture importance.

I honestly would not put TMNT #1 in top 50 books of all time to be clear, but I do defend it as every much a mega key comic book as anyone can see by my posts.

Just curious would anyone agree with this order of importance as parameter of importance in pop-culture as of today's date.

1. Action Comics #1

2. TEC 27

3. AF 15

4 Hulk 181

I just cant think of any other comic book that is more important in 4th place in terms of popularity of the character than Wolverine after AF 15.

That is impossible if your mom watches TV she knows who Wolverine is then, especially if she knows who TMNT is.

That is impossible if your mom watches TV she knows who Wolverine is then, especially if she knows who TMNT is.

Nope.

My mom definitely doesn't know who Wolverine is.

See?

Just curious would anyone agree with this order of importance measured in pop-culture as of today's date.

1. Action Comics #1

2. TEC 27

3. AF 15

4 Hulk 181

I think ToS #39 could be #4 then. EVERYONE knows who Iron Man is now.

Nope.

My mom definitely doesn't know who Wolverine is.

See?

Well I would wager and win the best easily most moms know who Hugh jackman is so they obviously know who Wolverine is. lol

But neither of you answered my question what is the 4th most important comic book of all time by its popularity? (which in my opinion is the #1 factor in evaluating comic books importance)

But neither of you answered my question what is the 4th most important comic book of all time by its popularity? (which in my opinion is the #1 factor in evaluating comic books importance)

That's tough. I'm tempted to say Pep #22. hm

Not for the popularity of the book itself, but for the popularity of Archie.

Many people can name Superman, Batman, and Spider-man, but MOST outside of comic collecting CAN'T name the comic with their first appearance.

(They just guess #1.)

No way lol

Pep 22 isnt as well known as Hulk 181.

No way lol

Looks like my edited reply was too slow.

I'm talking about the book that represents the first appearance of a pop culture icon.

People can't name the comic book first appearance of major characters unless they're IN our hobby. They just guess #1.

From that standpoint, TMNT #1 might be the ONLY key with a #1 on the cover and the character name in the title.

(Just kidding, Captain America #1 is kind of important.) lol

Many people can name Superman, Batman, and Spider-man, but MOST outside of comic collecting CAN'T name the comic with their first appearance.

(They just guess #1.)

If looking purely at pop culture then Hulk #1

Most outside the US knows who the Hulk is.

Hardly anyone outside the US knows who Archie is.

No way lol

I'm talking about the book that represents the first appearance of a pop culture icon.

People can't name the comic book first appearance of major characters unless they're IN our hobby.

Right so my rebuttal is Archie is a dying character unlike Wolverine.

So kids today see both a picture of Wolverine or Archie who will they even know who Archie is more so than Wolverine?

(They just guess #1.)

Good point... Hulk #1 should beat Hulk #181.

Otherwise, we've been doing this comic collecting thing all wrong. :kidaround:

I was thinking Pep #22 as well but only in that most people know who Archie is.

In terms of awareness of the actual book, ummmm, Cap 1. That's my guess.

No way lol

People can't name the comic book first appearance of major characters unless they're IN our hobby.

So kids today see both a picture of Wolverine or Archie who will they even know who Archie is more so than Wolverine?

Kids are a small percentage of pop culture... and the least established.

If we use kids as the basis, then Justin Bieber and One Direction beat Wolverine.

(They just guess #1.)

So you would put Hulk 1 over hulk #181 as #4?

I def agree Hulk is way bigger than TMNT, and I mean bigger and much more green. ;)

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

So please show me where I can find this bloated bubble.

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

This graph shows a small post 2008 dip. Everything dipped in '08. This isn't that big a dip either comparitive to everything else. This indicates it is holding it's value very well.

Small dip? It lost almost half its value and stayed around there until the movie announcement. Come on guys.

-J.

No way lol

Kids are a small percentage of pop culture.

If we use kids as the basis, then Justin Bieber and One Direction beat Wolverine.

Equal.

Kids are huuuuuuuuuuuuge for a basis.

The most important factor for our books to be growing is little Jimmy.

Comic are commodity but that commodity is because of:

littlejimmy.jpg

I was thinking Pep #22 as well but only in that most people know who Archie is.

In terms of awareness of the actual book, ummmm, Cap 1. That's my guess.

See I think your #4 is more as comic book back issue importance than popularity.

Wolverine beats Cap all day in terms of general public awareness.

Movies helped Cap, but in the 90's Wolverine was leaps and bounds over Cap no?

....pretty sure this just proves (again) that TMNT 1 currently (and temporarily) is in a speculative bubble being artificially bloated by movie hype.

You've posted so many times in this topic, people might begin to think you know what you're talking about.

Let's pretend you do...

So please show me where I can find this bloated bubble.

cgc96tmnt1trend.jpg

This graph shows a small post 2008 dip. Everything dipped in '08. This isn't that big a dip either comparitive to everything else. This indicates it is holding it's value very well.

Small dip? It lost almost half its value and stayed around there until the movie announcement. Come on guys.

-J.

Come on, Jesus christ your posts make me want to pull all my hair out.

So movie hype only applies to TMNT #1?

Af 15 same rinse and repeat dude.