• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

I have a plausible theory that Dan(the original OP) can shed some light on.

What if the new owner submitted the book with the original 6.0 OW Blue label, perhaps for a 'review'. In that case the focus of the graders would be on the grade, not a resto check. With a blue label attached they would probably skip the resto check. The fact that the grade, page quality, and label color are all identical to the original blue label makes this plausible.

Dan, did you pass the original label along to the new owner ?

This might be true if the label stays with the book the whole way. It does not. I would be very surprised if review books were treated any different than a new submission. The point is to grade the book in front of you with no outside influences.

That may be the point that that's NOT what happens plenty of times ;)

Also did they crack it out of the case to check for trimming or just look at it? If they didn't crack it then it was in a purple case.

I was always under the impression it was cracked out and if CGC did not change the grade or their opinion of the book being trimmed or restored it was reholdered using the same label.

Also did they crack it out of the case to check for trimming or just look at it? If they didn't crack it then it was in a purple case.

I was always under the impression it was cracked out and if CGC did not change the grade or their opinion of the book being trimmed or restored it was reholdered using the same label.

This begs the question why the consensus on trim, 6 mo later no trim. I think they had SOME kind of heads up to make a consensus like that.....

It seems obvious the person who walked this thru is a forumite as he bought it on a sales thread here. His silence is a bit troubling. I can't imagine it won't come out eventually, and its always better to get in front of a situation like this. There aren't more than a couple of dozen folks here with the budget for the book.

It most certainly wasn't me.

It seems obvious the person who walked this thru is a forumite as he bought it on a sales thread here. His silence is a bit troubling. I can't imagine it won't come out eventually, and its always better to get in front of a situation like this. There aren't more than a couple of dozen folks here with the budget for the book.

It most certainly wasn't me.

The cover up is always worse than the crime.....

I'll say it again, since so many people are crying conspiracy by the resubber.

1.) you pay thousands for a purple book, you are going to find out its history

2.) Upon hearing what happen, if not already aware before purchasing, MANY people would take a chance and resub. Especially given it had ALREADY been graded BLUE prior to purple

-nothing weird about it all

3.) When it came back, of course he is going to contact the seller. Again, perfectly normal.

As if people are trying to out the buyer or accuse him of something. CGC is the one that wronged Dan, likely lied to his face, AND failed to meet there own supposed standards in grading.

AND, if it is so "obviously trimmed to every grader in the building"

what it could show even worse, is that the resto checking on walkthroughs is lax for anything short of obvious.

2.) Upon hearing what happen, if not already aware before purchasing, MANY people would take a chance and resub. Especially given it had ALREADY been graded BLUE prior to purple

3.) When it came back, of course he is going to contact the seller. Again, perfectly normal.

As if people are trying to out the buyer or accuse him of something. CGC is the one that wronged Dan, likely lied to his face, AND failed to meet there own supposed standards in grading.

True. I think the main concern is if it's a big customer of CGC that might raise fairness issues....

Either:

The book is trimmed and:

They missed it in the walkthrough-PROBLEM

Preferential treatrment was given-PROBLEM

The book is not trimmed and:

They misdiagnosed trim-PROBLEM

Everyone in the building took a look and saw trim-PROBLEM

Which scenario is best for CGC? Worst?

You can say it a third time if you wish. I will still disagree with it, especially if it turns out the new owner is a high volume submitter.

Sort of. Yes you know the history. You get a book that has been a blue and now is a purple, who would resub it? I wouldn't, you wouldn't. Nobody who buys big books like this would resub so quickly. It wouldn't happen. And contact the seller again? Why? It's just going to cause problems like this. Especially because the resubber was doing this for monetary gain, not curiosity. You don't sub big books for curiosity. So your 1,2, and 3 are not normal. Not saying it's the op but or the seller, but the op needs to address these concerns so we can have a better picture.

I have nothing concrete to add to this situation but I do have one BIG question. Why would the new owner resub this book, especially in a Walkthrough tier? Surely he did not expect this outcome. Did he expect a higher grade ? I thought the 7.0, for a book length crease, was generous.

My question also. The new owner had to know the history of this book, so why run it through again?

Sort of. Yes you know the history. You get a book that has been a blue and now is a purple, who would resub it? I wouldn't, you wouldn't. Nobody who buys big books like this would resub so quickly. It wouldn't happen. And contact the seller again? Why? It's just going to cause problems like this. Especially because the resubber was doing this for monetary gain, not curiosity. You don't sub big books for curiosity. So your 1,2, and 3 are not normal. Not saying it's the op but or the seller, but the op needs to address these concerns so we can have a better picture.

I would have resubbed it. I might even have flown down and walked a bunch through. I've bought purple books, had the color touch removed, and resubbed for blue (even when it's been a bit of a coin toss).

I would resub. 3% FMV grading fee on a plod jim 83 7.0 is about $100 versus a potential doubling in price from 2800k for a plod to nearly 6k for a universal. So it would be worth the risk for me. Especially if i knew it had been a universal before...

Edited by The-Collector