• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Thread "The Flash" TV Show SPOILER-FILLED
4 4

2,574 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me how 2 guys shooting "ray" guns is a danger to the Flash? Isn't the Flash so fast he can move people out of the harms way of bullets being shot from a gun? Couldn't he just run up and dismantle the guns or just take them out of the villains hands?

Always something that baffled me.

I believe super-speed is the single most difficult power to do without plot-holes and failings of logic. Even worse than time travel. If you start picking holes you will unravel the whole thing.

I refuse to analyze this show with too much logic. It's too fun, and I'd hate to ruin it. It was a little smooshy there at the end, but I can live with it.

Still, this episode was really stretching any plausible adherence to logic and reality. I mean, let's face it, anyone with super-speed would pretty much make everyone that's normal defenseless, especially in a confrontation like this. Also, any police dept. sniper could've easily taken these dudes out, they were standing still in the middle of the street with no one else around. Plus, what insufficiently_thoughtful_person burns up a $25 million art piece? For Capt. Cold to be the (cold) calculating thinker they are playing him up to be, this just doesn't fly. So far they've not shown these guys to be billionaires.

Side note: (There needs to be a name for this paradox when you watch these kinds of shows; I can suspend my rational thinking to believe there's some guy running around with super-speed in a red suit, but yet still expect the rules of logic, reality and physics to apply! Anyone got any ideas?)

Just outta curiosity, why didn't Barry just run at superspeed and disarm both cold and heatwave?

Why run around and cross streams?

Why didn't the cops just blow away those clowns with heavy artillery while they were focused on the Flash?

The answer is obvious I guess....there'd be no show or suspense. The episode would have ended in under a minute. That said, I'd prefer if they used a bit more plausible scenarios. The showdown, as fun as it was.....is simply an insult to the fan intelligence. I already have a suspension of disbelief for the superspeed and metahumans....can we at least pretend that there aren't other impediments to common sense?

I hope they got some feedback on the forums they read, assuming they don't know we're even alive, that they listen to and not take our intelligence so lightly and give us more plausible battle scenes.

Can someone explain to me how 2 guys shooting "ray" guns is a danger to the Flash? Isn't the Flash so fast he can move people out of the harms way of bullets being shot from a gun? Couldn't he just run up and dismantle the guns or just take them out of the villains hands?

Always something that baffled me.

I believe super-speed is the single most difficult power to do without plot-holes and failings of logic. Even worse than time travel. If you start picking holes you will unravel the whole thing.

I refuse to analyze this show with too much logic. It's too fun, and I'd hate to ruin it. It was a little smooshy there at the end, but I can live with it.

Still, this episode was really stretching any plausible adherence to logic and reality. I mean, let's face it, anyone with super-speed would pretty much make everyone that's normal defenseless, especially in a confrontation like this. Also, any police dept. sniper could've easily taken these dudes out, they were standing still in the middle of the street with no one else around. Plus, what insufficiently_thoughtful_person burns up a $25 million art piece? For Capt. Cold to be the (cold) calculating thinker they are playing him up to be, this just doesn't fly. So far they've not shown these guys to be billionaires.

Side note: (There needs to be a name for this paradox when you watch these kinds of shows; I can suspend my rational thinking to believe there's some guy running around with super-speed in a red suit, but yet still expect the rules of logic, reality and physics to apply! Anyone got any ideas?)

I don't disagree with those points. And you're right - I did expect Capt Cold to be a little more cerebral and calculating. Maybe they will make that adjustment for the next time he appears.

As for the art piece - it took next to nothing to obtain it, and it's value was in Flash taking the bait. Unless Capt Cold and Heat Wave were into Rothko knockoffs, there'd be no reason to do anything with it, since the effort to steal something of that value was minimal.

The funny part about that is the nonchalant way the stewardess was handling the painting and that it was not protected in any way, shape or form for transport. lol

my first thought other than "why?" -- having not read any Flash stories -- was that they might have been being true to some original comic material for this confrontation. After seeing so many like minded responses to the silly way in which the fight went down-- with no Flash fan interjecting it was "true to the original storyline" -- at least my gut instincts were correct.

Still-- really enjoying the show. I would like to find some TPBs that delves into the early Flash, specifically this version of character /storyline. Is this show more or less a mash up of the entire franchise? The more I learn about the Flash, the more I want to know. I had no idea there were so many different people who were at one point (or at the same point/time travel) this super hero.

Any recommendations?

HSrMrVGl.jpg

allow me to nitpick here for a moment-- but early in tonight's episode they show Wells playing chess and claiming checkmate where in they show this image above.

I am not chess grandmaster or even an enthusiast but am I wrong in saying this is totally not checkmate?

first off-- the piece he moves into position seems to be a bishop not a queen (you can see two white bishops in the background). Also-- even if that is a queen, why can't he simply use his knight and take the queen out and eliminate the check threat?

I could be wrong but it seems this is off.

THE FLASH Executive Producer On What's Next With The Speed Force

---------------------

lash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg explained to Entertainment Weekly what that means for the series moving forward. "Right now, the Speed Force is a little bit like the force in Star Wars before midi-chlorians came along. It’s an amorphous thing, which hopefully for comic book fans will make them feel like we’re heading in certain directions. For right now, it’s a catch-all phrase that speaks to a grander universe and a grander power and ultimately grander abilities. If you know the comics and you know what having access to the speed force gives you the abilities to do."

---------------------

I'm dying to see how they do grodd seems like it can be awesome or really bad
With the tech they used on the Planet of the Apes movies, it could be done right. Also, I hope they have the Firestorm of my youth for a few episodes before they "modernize" him.

What's up with:

GIMPY WELLS? He's running at super speed 1 minute, the next he's flailing on the ground like a fish out of water.

And for that matter, why did the Pied Pier let him live whilst he was incapacitated.....ONLY to come back later to cause trouble for him?

HSrMrVGl.jpg

allow me to nitpick here for a moment-- but early in tonight's episode they show Wells playing chess and claiming checkmate where in they show this image above.

I am not chess grandmaster or even an enthusiast but am I wrong in saying this is totally not checkmate?

first off-- the piece he moves into position seems to be a bishop not a queen (you can see two white bishops in the background). Also-- even if that is a queen, why can't he simply use his knight and take the queen out and eliminate the check threat?

I was assuming the piece moved was a Rook and with the position of his Knight it does make checkmate.

HSrMrVGl.jpg

I was assuming the piece moved was a Rook and with the position of his Knight it does make checkmate.

Even if it is a rook (which it appears to be), the white knight could take the rook which would alleviate the "check" - so it is wrong. If the Rook was moved up one space to the white square then it would be checkmate. But no big deal - still a really good episode IMO.

What's up with:

GIMPY WELLS? He's running at super speed 1 minute, the next he's flailing on the ground like a fish out of water.

And for that matter, why did the Pied Pier let him live whilst he was incapacitated.....ONLY to come back later to cause trouble for him?

It seems that machine he had on his chest is failing, that must be what allows him to walk and run.

That's definitely true Sharon. BUT:

Haven't we seen him walk & run before he stole the Tachyon device?

hm

I forgot he stole it, Dan. I was thinking last night that perhaps he really had been crippled and the device gave him special powers.

Meanwhile, they teased us with him running

my first thought other than "why?" -- having not read any Flash stories -- was that they might have been being true to some original comic material for this confrontation. After seeing so many like minded responses to the silly way in which the fight went down-- with no Flash fan interjecting it was "true to the original storyline" -- at least my gut instincts were correct.

Still-- really enjoying the show. I would like to find some TPBs that delves into the early Flash, specifically this version of character /storyline. Is this show more or less a mash up of the entire franchise? The more I learn about the Flash, the more I want to know. I had no idea there were so many different people who were at one point (or at the same point/time travel) this super hero.

Any recommendations?

I picked up the archive edition 1 to re-read the Showcase origin and stories, but they are very early. The subsequent editions would be a good place to get up to speed, no pun intended.