• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Thread "The Flash" TV Show SPOILER-FILLED
4 4

2,574 posts in this topic

That's definitely true Sharon. BUT:

Haven't we seen him walk & run before he stole the Tachyon device?

I don't think continuity is this shows strongest suit (shrug)

I have to admit I was a little miffed that once again Flash had to be saved by someone to defeat the villain. And the fact he called him a insufficiently_thoughtful_person just before he whacked him, didn't make it feel particular good that he has things under control. I'm patient but I'd like to see more logic and continuity in the scripts

+1 couldn't have said it better myself. (thumbs u

Arrow seems to be on another level as far as the writing and seriousness of the show. hm

That's fine, but I think they need to close some of the plot holes and start to pay more attention to details that fans like us take seriously. :/

my first thought other than "why?" -- having not read any Flash stories -- was that they might have been being true to some original comic material for this confrontation. After seeing so many like minded responses to the silly way in which the fight went down-- with no Flash fan interjecting it was "true to the original storyline" -- at least my gut instincts were correct.

Still-- really enjoying the show. I would like to find some TPBs that delves into the early Flash, specifically this version of character /storyline. Is this show more or less a mash up of the entire franchise? The more I learn about the Flash, the more I want to know. I had no idea there were so many different people who were at one point (or at the same point/time travel) this super hero.

Any recommendations?

The SA Flash Volume 1 Omnibus came out last year(collects SC4-Flash #132), that would be the best place to start. Having said that a lot of the run is really corny and if you think the show has plot holes the comics will make your head spin. Still love it though :cloud9:

I think last nights episode might have been effected by budgetary constraints. It seems like it had the least special effects of any episode so far. I bet they are saving up their money for the Grodd episode coming soon.

Overall it was a pretty blah episode but it did give us a little more info on Wells. I think they are doing an excellent job of giving a little information every episode to drive fans crazy.

An interesting summary of the show.

The Flash Used A Formerly Lame Villain To Make A Nearly Perfect Episode

To respect those that have not seen it yet.

Juggy! Behave now.

--------------------

Part of the reason "The Sound and the Fury" works so well is because it uses the Pied Piper to focus on The Flash's most intriguing mystery: Harrison Wells. Admittedly, it doesn't give any answers, but that's fine when the questions are so fascinating. Was it just hubris that caused Wells to activate the particle accelerator despite Hartley's warning, or was it always part of his crazy masterplan involving the Flash? Was Hartley really talking about warning Wells, or does he know a bigger secret? Did Wells admit his guilt about ignoring Hartley's warning solely in order to diffuse other suspicions? Was Wells apology to the team even genuine? You'd think it wouldn't be, but he goes to far as to hold a press conference to admit his guilt to all of Central City — seemingly specifically to atone for his mistakes and gain back the SuperSTARS' trust. But does he do it because he generally cares of because he needs them for his final plan? Or is it even both?

--------------------

my first thought other than "why?" -- having not read any Flash stories -- was that they might have been being true to some original comic material for this confrontation. After seeing so many like minded responses to the silly way in which the fight went down-- with no Flash fan interjecting it was "true to the original storyline" -- at least my gut instincts were correct.

Still-- really enjoying the show. I would like to find some TPBs that delves into the early Flash, specifically this version of character /storyline. Is this show more or less a mash up of the entire franchise? The more I learn about the Flash, the more I want to know. I had no idea there were so many different people who were at one point (or at the same point/time travel) this super hero.

Any recommendations?

The SA Flash Volume 1 Omnibus came out last year(collects SC4-Flash #132), that would be the best place to start. Having said that a lot of the run is really corny and if you think the show has plot holes the comics will make your head spin. Still love it though :cloud9:

I'm kind of astounded how different the stories seem when I read them. It's a reminder that the intended audiences were young boys. Still the great memories of reading the characters exploits are enduring.

Just enjoy the show and be entertained. .

some people get entertainment from well crafted stories

that said, personally I am looking past a number of things to enjoy the show

god forbid people talk about things they notice while watching a show IN AN INTERNET FORUM. That would be crazy

HSrMrVGl.jpg

allow me to nitpick here for a moment-- but early in tonight's episode they show Wells playing chess and claiming checkmate where in they show this image above.

I am not chess grandmaster or even an enthusiast but am I wrong in saying this is totally not checkmate?

first off-- the piece he moves into position seems to be a bishop not a queen (you can see two white bishops in the background). Also-- even if that is a queen, why can't he simply use his knight and take the queen out and eliminate the check threat?

I could be wrong but it seems this is off.

I was assuming the piece moved was a Rook and with the position of his Knight it does make checkmate.

Even if it is a rook (which it appears to be), the white knight could take the rook which would alleviate the "check" - so it is wrong. If the Rook was moved up one space to the white square then it would be checkmate. But no big deal - still a really good episode IMO.

the video of the Wells move is him making a diagonal attack (which as you know rooks cannot move that way). So it has to be either a bishop (which would be even worse since it would not put the opponent in check) or a Queen -- which it hardly looks like as a piece BUT REGARDLESS-- the black knight can take the queen, stopping the assault WITHOUT putting the king is check by moving.

I realize it is a minor point but I can just imagine some chess players watching this shaking their head.

How's the logic with this one (keep in mind I wasnt paying 100% attention and may have missed something):

Piper wanted to be caught by Flash in the beginning, so he could get into star labs, steal the secrets of the flash, and kill him. But:

1) why the heck didnt he just kill him in the first fight? cisco said his weapon was on the lowest setting, and he was able to hit flash with it. if he merely started on the highest setting, he would have killed flash- which was his apparent endgame. of course he didnt know if he would be able to hit flash with it, but why not be ready?

2) even if he wanted flash to beat him, why did he assume flash would kidnap him back to star labs? why did he figure flash wouldnt leave him for the cops? when he was in the cell he mentioned surprise that those machines were turned into prisons- so then why think he would get taken back to star labs?

that said, I try not to look at the bad writing so much (seen over a slew of episodes), and just enjoy it- kinda like a silver age romp through the flash comics. I liked the portrayal of the piper from comic to screen.

kind of anticlimactic that flash didnt overcome piper at all at the end, I thought he could have lost yet still done more to save face/put up a better fight. that said, its cool that wells saved him (bigger picture and all). also cool that the villains are a serious threat. not cool if barry doesnt eventually learn super speed tricks and start beating villains one on one without star labs help all the time. I can understand relying on them for a bit, but eventually I would love to see him progress.

while he said it was much more powerful than that-- he was referring to it being able to destroy the whole building (and maybe the Flash). But the goal was to get the biometric data about the flash and maybe Wells -- so he could calibrate the device to destroy them from within-- as demonstrated by Barry to his cop buddy in the police lab.

As for why did Wells suddenly go down in the hallway-- I think he had his bio info used against him that sent him to the ground-- similar to what happened with Flash later. I don't think Wells is crippled at all. He was able to walk before they got the tachyon (sp) device -- that device was to enhance abilities. Anyway -- love the show despite some of the strange things I see

On your #2 point-- Piper wasn't surprised they were turned into prison cells-- he said it was a good use for them. I think he knew they would bring him back to Star Labs because they have done that several times before and the guy has been observing them for months.

at least that was my take

why the heck didnt he just kill him in the first fight?

I'm pretty sure the first chapter in the Comic Book Super Villain manual discusses this.

Rule #1: Don't kill the hero right away.

Rule #2: Be sure to explain your master plans.

Rule #3: Vow revenge when you get caught due to abiding by Rule #1 and #2.

why the heck didnt he just kill him in the first fight?

I'm pretty sure the first chapter in the Comic Book Super Villain manual discusses this.

Rule #1: Don't kill the hero right away.

Rule #2: Be sure to explain your master plans.

Rule #3: Vow revenge when you get caught due to abiding by Rule #1 and #2.

Rule #2-sub step (b) - Be sure that the process takes a few minutes to kill them

Rule #2- sub -step © - Leave them knowing that the plan is foolproof, no need to stick around make sure nothing goes wrong. You might get hero blood on your new tights.

HSrMrVGl.jpg

allow me to nitpick here for a moment-- but early in tonight's episode they show Wells playing chess and claiming checkmate where in they show this image above.

I am not chess grandmaster or even an enthusiast but am I wrong in saying this is totally not checkmate?

first off-- the piece he moves into position seems to be a bishop not a queen (you can see two white bishops in the background). Also-- even if that is a queen, why can't he simply use his knight and take the queen out and eliminate the check threat?

I could be wrong but it seems this is off.

I was assuming the piece moved was a Rook and with the position of his Knight it does make checkmate.

Even if it is a rook (which it appears to be), the white knight could take the rook which would alleviate the "check" - so it is wrong. If the Rook was moved up one space to the white square then it would be checkmate. But no big deal - still a really good episode IMO.

the video of the Wells move is him making a diagonal attack (which as you know rooks cannot move that way). So it has to be either a bishop (which would be even worse since it would not put the opponent in check) or a Queen -- which it hardly looks like as a piece BUT REGARDLESS-- the black knight can take the queen, stopping the assault WITHOUT putting the king is check by moving.

I realize it is a minor point but I can just imagine some chess players watching this shaking their head.

I don't remember if he was making a diagonal move - but if he was then you are correct that there would be no check unless it was a Queen, which it does not appear to be since then in the shot there would be two white queens (which is not impossible, but given the board is improbable). As mentioned if it is a Queen then the White Knight can eliminate the threat, unless the "queen" was moved up to the white square instead. Then it would be checkmate.

I am going to give them a massive benefit of the doubt, assume somehow it is a Queen, and that in that shot they meant to move the Queen to the white square, but came up one square short :)

That being said I had no problem with this shot in real time as I was not really focusing on the board. All of these shows are cheesy and can be picked apart easily - while it is fun sometimes to pick the show apart, it is more fun to suspend logical thought during them :)

How's the logic with this one (keep in mind I wasnt paying 100% attention and may have missed something):

Piper wanted to be caught by Flash in the beginning, so he could get into star labs, steal the secrets of the flash, and kill him. But:

1) why the heck didnt he just kill him in the first fight? cisco said his weapon was on the lowest setting, and he was able to hit flash with it. if he merely started on the highest setting, he would have killed flash- which was his apparent endgame. of course he didnt know if he would be able to hit flash with it, but why not be ready?

2) even if he wanted flash to beat him, why did he assume flash would kidnap him back to star labs? why did he figure flash wouldnt leave him for the cops? when he was in the cell he mentioned surprise that those machines were turned into prisons- so then why think he would get taken back to star labs?

that said, I try not to look at the bad writing so much (seen over a slew of episodes), and just enjoy it- kinda like a silver age romp through the flash comics. I liked the portrayal of the piper from comic to screen.

kind of anticlimactic that flash didnt overcome piper at all at the end, I thought he could have lost yet still done more to save face/put up a better fight. that said, its cool that wells saved him (bigger picture and all). also cool that the villains are a serious threat. not cool if barry doesnt eventually learn super speed tricks and start beating villains one on one without star labs help all the time. I can understand relying on them for a bit, but eventually I would love to see him progress.

while he said it was much more powerful than that-- he was referring to it being able to destroy the whole building (and maybe the Flash). But the goal was to get the biometric data about the flash and maybe Wells -- so he could calibrate the device to destroy them from within-- as demonstrated by Barry to his cop buddy in the police lab.

As for why did Wells suddenly go down in the hallway-- I think he had his bio info used against him that sent him to the ground-- similar to what happened with Flash later. I don't think Wells is crippled at all. He was able to walk before they got the tachyon (sp) device -- that device was to enhance abilities. Anyway -- love the show despite some of the strange things I see

On your #2 point-- Piper wasn't surprised they were turned into prison cells-- he said it was a good use for them. I think he knew they would bring him back to Star Labs because they have done that several times before and the guy has been observing them for months.

I thought Wells said "not now" when he went down, like it had happened before.

I thought Wells said "not now" when he went down, like it had happened before.

I must have misheard what he said-- now I understand your point.

I had more trouble not understanding why Flash couldn't just disarm Captain Cold and Heat Wave in a 'flash' (or any enemy). Certainly he could sneak up from an opposite direction right?

But I'm ok just enjoying the ride. Its done fairly well.

On another weird note, does anyone else think it'd be more fun to watch a tv show about Eddie and Joe? Age gap partners, younger one dating the daughter solving weird crimes, and all the Flash stuff is ancillary? I guess a little bit like I hoped Agents of Shield would be?

I had more trouble not understanding why Flash couldn't just disarm Captain Cold and Heat Wave in a 'flash' (or any enemy). Certainly he could sneak up from an opposite direction right?

But I'm ok just enjoying the ride. Its done fairly well.

On another weird note, does anyone else think it'd be more fun to watch a tv show about Eddie and Joe? Age gap partners, younger one dating the daughter solving weird crimes, and all the Flash stuff is ancillary? I guess a little bit like I hoped Agents of Shield would be?

This thread makes me miss the old 'Nitpickers Guide to Star Trek TNG' or the one for X-Files. Kinda fun to read the oversights.

I agree - I think Jesse Martin is a great actor, and the dynamic he and Eddie have works well when it's just those two in the scene. It'd be interesting to see if longer scenes with those guys would continue to be interesting, or if we're just noticing it because they are good in small doses.

AOS could pull a lot of cues from Flash and Arrow - the chemistry of the casting on those shows is really good in comparison to AOS and even Agent Carter (with the exception of Haley and the guy who plays Jarvis).

I never know what to put in spoilers anymore so I'm going to just mask everything....lol.

Is Wells trying to "mature" or "cultivate" the Flash's relationship with the Speed-Force because he wants him to become the Flash that he knows he will eventually become having knowledge of the future? Or is he doing that because he NEEDS the Flash to become faster for some other purpose?

In other words: does the Flash's ultimate speed enable him to stablize/rectify his own speed-related problems in our time or is he just doing it to have a "worthy opponent"? My personal feeling is that it's a combination of both due to the dialogue with Gideon and the Flash respectively.

He absolutely NEEDS the Flash to obtain the critical speeds necessary to breech the time barrier or he can't have Barry chase him back in time to when his mother was initially killed. That would create a paradox and unravel alot that has been put into motion already. But of course we all know Barry can't do a thing about it because it would lead to the events in Flashpoint.

But beyond that Wells is most likely a time traveller that's been stuck in the past for whatever reason and has actively created relationships and organizations to accomplish some additional purpose....like enabling his travel back to his own time via the Speed-Force. In any event, he's clearly done well for himself and puts to bed the old adage that "Crime Doesn't Pay".....

His crib was pretty posh, wouldn't mind having that action myself.