• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, Grottu said:

Feels a little weird to say this is “just back” from CGC, since I submitted it almost a YEAR ago, but here it is…

D784950C-B274-447A-9FD6-AEED25FB2E9C.jpeg

Almost a year? Wow, only one reason I don’t submit anymore. I just can’t have them out of my possession that long,

Great book but I would have just kept it in a nice shiny Mylar…

On 3/2/2022 at 11:36 PM, jpepx78 said:

DCC2CF54-900A-45E5-B840-A2C5903BC4F9.jpeg

'Hi, I'll take the Crime Suspenstories #11 up there, the one with the-'

[top of ladder completely mangles it]

'Um. Never mind.'

He's bracing the ladder up against comics. :eek:

DCC2CF54-900A-45E5-B840-A2C5903BC4F9.jpeg

On 3/5/2022 at 6:38 PM, damonwad said:

These were the first issues of Psychoanalysis that I read and was really surprised how much I disliked them. Definitely will not get the other 2 issues.

Your take on MD and Psychoanalysis is opposite mine.  MD is worth the effort for the art, but I think with a couple of exceptions it's a horribly boring book, and easily my least favorite of the New Direction titles.  Psychoanalysis actually is probably my third favorite New Direction book, after Aces High and Piracy.  It reads like it's decades ahead of its time, a well reviewed but poorly selling indy book from around the early 90's, only done in the 50's.  I doubt I would want any more than four issues, but I think it takes an obviously horrible concept and presents the absolute best version of what that concept could ever be.  It plays to EC's strengths of getting into the character's heads and Kamen's incredible skill at showing people's emotions on their face.  Other than the fact it was an obviously horrible idea it wasn't a horrible idea.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:31 PM, OtherEric said:

Your take on MD and Psychoanalysis is opposite mine.  MD is worth the effort for the art, but I think with a couple of exceptions it's a horribly boring book, and easily my least favorite of the New Direction titles.  Psychoanalysis actually is probably my third favorite New Direction book, after Aces High and Piracy.  It reads like it's decades ahead of its time, a well reviewed but poorly selling indy book from around the early 90's, only done in the 50's.  I doubt I would want any more than four issues, but I think it takes an obviously horrible concept and presents the absolute best version of what that concept could ever be.  It plays to EC's strengths of getting into the character's heads and Kamen's incredible skill at showing people's emotions on their face.  Other than the fact it was an obviously horrible idea it wasn't a horrible idea.

Psychoanalysis may have been ahead of its time, but to me, the patients were just too whiny and self-pitying for me to enjoy the books. I would have much preferred having the psychiatrist deal with more interesting personalities instead of the average Joe or Jane. Obviously not what EC was going for though. The "post code" cure/breakthrough endings every story didn't help either (only read 2 issues though). At least a couple of the MD stories I can think of had mild twist endings (I especially liked the one for Worried Sick in #4). At least we can agree on EC war books and The Martian Chronicles. lol

I put Piracy and Valor as my favorite New Direction titles but haven't read Aces High yet. I was holding out to get the originals, but so many in this thread have recommended it that I think I'll break down and buy the reprints. 

Edited by damonwad

On 3/6/2022 at 12:28 AM, damonwad said:

Psychoanalysis may have been ahead of its time, but to me, the patients were just too whiny and self-pitying for me to enjoy the books. I would have much preferred having the psychiatrist deal with more interesting personalities instead of the average Joe or Jane. Obviously not what EC was going for though. The "post code" cure/breakthrough endings every story didn't help either (only read 2 issues though). At least a couple of the MD stories I can think of had mild twist endings (I especially liked the one for Worried Sick in #4). At least we can agree on EC war books and The Martian Chronicles. lol

I put Piracy and Valor as my favorite New Direction titles but haven't read Aces High yet. I was holding out to get the originals, but so many in this thread have recommended it that I think I'll break down and buy the reprints. 

Aces High is my favorite by far. Lots of great WWI aviation stories with incredible art. Piracy and Valor close behind. The other 3 are just pretty boring to me.