• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2022 at 12:28 AM, damonwad said:

Psychoanalysis may have been ahead of its time, but to me, the patients were just too whiny and self-pitying for me to enjoy the books. I would have much preferred having the psychiatrist deal with more interesting personalities instead of the average Joe or Jane. Obviously not what EC was going for though. The "post code" cure/breakthrough endings every story didn't help either (only read 2 issues though). At least a couple of the MD stories I can think of had mild twist endings (I especially liked the one for Worried Sick in #4). At least we can agree on EC war books and The Martian Chronicles. lol

I put Piracy and Valor as my favorite New Direction titles but haven't read Aces High yet. I was holding out to get the originals, but so many in this thread have recommended it that I think I'll break down and buy the reprints. 

It would be a boring world indeed if everybody agreed all the time.  And I freely admit I'm taking a bit of a contrarian position on Psychoanalysis.  I think one other reason I like it is it's so clearly succeeding in what it's trying to do, all the other New Direction books are either hamstrung by the code or still figuring out what they want to be to some degree.

Aces High is an EC war book firmly in the Kurtzman tradition, even if he's not the editor.  It's excellent.

Valor falls right in the middle for me... the stories are way too often bland or undercut by the code, while the art is uniformly excellent.  I may only rank it fourth but I won't disagree with anybody who puts it higher.

On 3/6/2022 at 5:41 PM, KirbyJack said:

Two classic covers are heading my way! Pretty excited.

I used to agonize about the wait, but now I enjoy the energized feeling. I will post when they arrive. 

I just got one Ive wanted as well this week. Half the time I forget that I won something, so when it shows up its like a surprise.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:15 PM, KirbyJack said:

Can’t decide which I like better!

EBDC5F7D-ADA1-40E7-B9FC-97EF23A44B88.thumb.jpeg.13eba57926b222fc0bf19732a1152ba7.jpeg

519D3426-B183-4276-AEE7-A426C8AB04D7.thumb.jpeg.3a09201d2da1385967948167cb92a761.jpeg

Congrats and definitely two classics (neither of which I own yet).

If I had to choose though, I'd pick the Wood cover just because it reminds me of watching 50's sci-fi movies as a kid every time I look at it. :cloud9: