• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Seeing sacentaur's Weird Science with the distributor mark made me think about one of my ECs - does this notation look familiar to anyone?

I have seen this marking on some high grade EC's, but I'm not sure if they are from a recognized pedigree collection.

voh%2013_zpsmiwswbym.jpg

Seeing sacentaur's Weird Science with the distributor mark made me think about one of my ECs - does this notation look familiar to anyone?

I have seen this marking on some high grade EC's, but I'm not sure if they are from a recognized pedigree collection.

voh%2013_zpsmiwswbym.jpg

Two spectacular books!!

I picked up the VOH #13 at around the same time I was picking up other high grade EC's that also had grease pencil markings (1997-1998). The other books had a "5" or "S" on them and would be later recognized as River City copies. Could these books with the "L" be "Early" River City copies? (shrug)

Here's an unnoted RC copy purchased around the same time:

VaultofHorror39tag_zps19dc30a9.jpg

VaultofHorror39_zpsf38568f3.jpg

I picked up the VOH #13 at around the same time I was picking up other high grade EC's that also had grease pencil markings (1997-1998). The other books had a "5" or "S" on them and would be later recognized as River City copies. Could these books with the "L" be "Early" River City copies? (shrug)

I think you could be right! Check out this one courtesy of the comic book pedigrees site hm

5D77958C-7BC1-419C-94D1-1B41E1E00097_zpsteukxc6a.jpg

I think you could be right! Check out this one courtesy of the comic book pedigrees site hm

River City was my first thought, as well...the cursive "L" and the month-hyphen-day certainly fit that bill. But, then I talked myself out of it, because I've never seen a River City mark in red ink, or with that horizontal underscore underneath the "L". But...early version, perhaps hm

5D77958C-7BC1-419C-94D1-1B41E1E00097_zpsteukxc6a.jpg

Seeing an "L" an a River City certified book, I'm convinced that these are River City copies. It would be nice if CGC came on and backed our speculations...

Edited by vaultkeeper

River City was my first thought, as well...the cursive "L" and the month-hyphen-day certainly fit that bill. But, then I talked myself out of it, because I've never seen a River City mark in red ink, or with that horizontal underscore underneath the "L". But...early version, perhaps hm

Ok Ed how about this one (again from comicbookpedigrees.com). Still not quite the same but much closer. This one actually has both the L and the C:

A1EDD8E4-8B48-45B7-8955-57B31DF3BFFA_zpsupzqsjsd.jpg

I think that C mark must have been from something after the orig. River City mark...RC marks are exclusively L or S, I think.

So, that L mark is the RC mark...as you say, still a bit different. But, certainly not a stretch to think yours is the RC copy...high grade with cream in the PQ also fits...

Here's a recently posted River City (in another thread) with NO distributor mark whatsoever!:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9209846#Post9209846

:ohnoez::insane:

There were River City's with no distributor mark. Many of the initial set offered by A-1 Comics didn't have one and they were some of the nicest copies from that find.

One more for tonight... bought this off Harley some years ago, he had it high but what a book (not a pedigree that I know of, but it sure looks like one)!

5189c412-39f7-4aa1-a2fb-65a2b2188214_zpsi9n3ceha.jpg

I absolutely love this cover. Ingels was :cloud9: