• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make an official statement?

500 posts in this topic

I don't think anyone has disputed, at all...definitely not me...that this "wipe" was a reaction to competitive announcements of one sort or another.

But as has been stated before, this was a while in coming, and not unexpected.

The issue isn't that CGC did it. The issue is the overwhelming "OMG, how TACKY CGC!!!" reaction to it.

It makes no sense. Instead of being grateful for it being allowed for so long, instead they're angry that it was handled in a way that didn't suit them?

What was CGC supposed to do, issue a statement? They already did. Harsen stated several weeks ago, in no uncertain terms, that threads openly advertising competition would not be tolerated...

...and yet, everyone's up in arms because they finally do what they should have done a while ago?

:shrug:

Everyone should be grateful that it was allowed to go on as long as it did. That should be the perspective. It was very generous of CGC to allow it for as long as they did.

While I agree that the wipe was a reaction to an announcement, I'm going to have to disagree with the remainder of your statements.

rantrant

By saying "But as has been stated before, this was a while in coming and not unexpected", you make it sound as though this was the consensus amongst the board, when I believe it was only Joey that actually said it.

Judging by the comments in this thread (and others) it was very unexpected.

As far as Harshen's post, that was obviously directed at the threads popping up about CBCS / Steve Borock which is why those went poof right around the time he made it.

If there was such a concern about Joey being a competitor, why didn't they pull his post(s) then?

You wonder why people are angry about the way it was handled -- see "Implied Consent"

You can call it a "business decision" all you want, but If you ask me, this was a knee-jerk reaction by Ze-Man (who, correct me if I'm wrong, works for/with CCS), caused by butthurt over the fact that "the other company" endorsed Joey.

You could practically hear it in the post he made on the Joker thread (which I wish hadn't vanished too).

As far as being grateful to our generous CGC Overlords . . . . :censored:

When should we expect that the Ebay banner ads and affiliate links will disappear? Pretty soon we'll see CBCS books there as well.

Same for every auction house that advertises here.

Saw the my first CBCS book on ebay today

Ooo, thanks D! I'm gonna go look...

I can't find it.

Blowie, HELP!!!

:cry:

Giant Size X-Men 1 9.4 -- and I think it sold already -- so look in completed

Link.

So it wasn't flyingdonut.... hm

lol

When do the CBCS boards start?

I have an idea for a thread. I am thinking of going with "I Love Matt Nelson".

That would be awesome and then the owner of the Costanza books can start posting them up ... epic !!! lol

Additionally, long, long before joey, in fact in the inception of CGC, it was ALWAYS the plan to open a pressing business. In fact, when Ewert hit and the original outcry about pressing started (it was less accepted circa 2004) CGC canned the idea -- it eventually obviously made its way back out. This isn't in dispute and borock himself would tell you it was always part of the plan, it just took them awhile to get to it.

I know this. They canned the idea, because at the time pressers were seen as shady non disclosing CPR restorers. Joey changed that perception (for many, not all) by being a spokesperson for pressing, by providing information, by providing transparency, by being there to answer questions and respond to customers. That, combined with mountains of good feedback, and an established marketplace that was more than a handful of guys in the garage potentially destroying comics, CGC decided the service was worth revisiting. Joey's contributions were valuable to CGC in legitimizing the craft. And it could have gone either way. If Joey had destroyed a valuable book early on, pressing may still be the anonymous non disclosed type of backdoor service done in whispers by flippers trying to make a buck. If he had destroyed the book and pressing had never been seen as legitimate by many converts, it wasn't egg on CGC's face. Joey goes out of business, or takes his service underground, and CGC keeps chugging along.

Now imagine if CGC had headed the CPR movement, and had destroyed a major book early on. They have insurance, they can pay FMV for a destroyed product, but how many people would be happy with a check when they thought they were getting a high grade GA key that was going to potentially double in value in a year? What if it happened to highest grade on census, and was irreplaceable? CGC as a business would have a tarnished record that probably wouldn't die overnight.

Now that pressing has so many success stories under it's belt, the possibility of destroying a high grade comic is still there, just as it is whenever a high grade comic is shipped, but it likely wouldn't be a scandal at this point, just an unfortunate risk of the business.

Ah yes, this was around the same time when CGC graders were offering free back rubs at the now legendary CGC forum dinners.

lol

Personally, I think I should be the topic of the first thread.

That would be awesome and then the owner of the Costanza books can start posting them up ... epic !!! lol

lol

lol

as long as a moral compass is posted

I don't think anyone has disputed, at all...definitely not me...that this "wipe" was a reaction to competitive announcements of one sort or another.

The issue isn't that CGC did it. The issue is the overwhelming "OMG, how TACKY CGC!!!" reaction to it.

It makes no sense. Instead of being grateful for it being allowed for so long, instead they're angry that it was handled in a way that didn't suit them?

What was CGC supposed to do, issue a statement? They already did. Harsen stated several weeks ago, in no uncertain terms, that threads openly advertising competition would not be tolerated...

...and yet, everyone's up in arms because they finally do what they should have done a while ago?

Everyone should be grateful that it was allowed to go on as long as it did. That should be the perspective. It was very generous of CGC to allow it for as long as they did.

While I agree that the wipe was a reaction to an announcement, I'm going to have to disagree with the remainder of your statements.

rantrant

By saying "But as has been stated before, this was a while in coming and not unexpected", you make it sound as though this was the consensus amongst the board, when I believe it was only Joey that actually said it.

As far as Harshen's post, that was obviously directed at the threads popping up about CBCS / Steve Borock which is why those went poof right around the time he made it.

If there was such a concern about Joey being a competitor, why didn't they pull his post(s) then?

You wonder why people are angry about the way it was handled -- see "Implied Consent"

You can call it a "business decision" all you want, but If you ask me, this was a knee-jerk reaction by Ze-Man (who, correct me if I'm wrong, works for/with CCS), caused by butthurt over the fact that "the other company" endorsed Joey.

You could practically hear it in the post he made on the Joker thread (which I wish hadn't vanished too).

Joey may have said it but a lot of people wondered for some time now. Acc to the posts in the thread last night, Ze and Joey had already discussed it on the sidelines in the recent past.

Harshen's post was directed at any competition - CBCS simply was the catalyst that caused the stickying of that post.

And Ze-man has zero power on the boards. He's not a CGC employee. He's also good friends with a lot of people both here and with CBCS.

I think you've come to many wrong conclusions.

lol

as long as a moral compass is posted

Onwards and upwards!

rantrant

Joey may have said it but a lot of people wondered for some time now. Acc to the posts in the thread last night, Ze and Joey had already discussed it on the sidelines in the recent past.

Harshen's post was directed at any competition - CBCS simply was the catalyst that caused the stickying of that post.

And Ze-man has zero power on the boards. He's not a CGC employee. He's also good friends with a lot of people both here and with CBCS.

+1

Kenny had nothing to do with it. He didn't poof any threads. In fact, he's friends with joey as he is with a lot of us here.

A lot of people here are friends with each other, but it all comes down to business decisions, friendships notwithstanding.

If Harsh's post was directed at any competition then why not whack the

Joeypost thread when they were disappearing all the others?

Green Name = Mod, no? And didn't you just say this earlier today

And as I have often been reminded, friendship and business are two very different things that have little to do with each other.

rantrant

+1

Kenny had nothing to do with it. He didn't poof any threads. In fact, he's friends with joey as he is with a lot of us here.

A lot of people here are friends with each other, but it all comes down to business decisions, friendships notwithstanding.

94 <<<<<=====

Do I want to be around when the counter hits zero? :o

You're going to have to ask Harshen. (shrug)

And as I have often been reminded, friendship and business are two very different things that have little to do with each other.

I did say that, but again, I don't think Ze has any mod power. Didn't he say so last night in that thread that disappeared?

+1

vs

hm

You're going to have to ask Harshen. (shrug)

I did say that, but again, I don't think Ze has any mod power. Didn't he say so last night in that thread that disappeared?

He did state that. Kenny is contracted by CCS (and therefore CGC) to perform Restoration/Conservation on books when called upon to do so. He's one of the best in the hobby at what he does. He is NOT a mod and has no power to remove posts or threads.

Also joey's thread was probably removed due to the fact that CBCS' recommendation of CFP was done in the last 72 or so hours. CFP's website change was done in the last 24 hours.

Again there's more to this story. Time will reveal :gossip:

+1

vs

hm

vodka :blush:

+1

vs

hm

You are blurring contexts.

+1

vs

hm

You are blurring contexts.

As stated above....vodka :sorry: