• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make an official statement?

500 posts in this topic

The problem all started when cgc started nickel and diming it's customers by charging for graders notes back in the day. The whole restored not restored fiasco being a big time mistake. It may take time but customers are going to start looking at competitors, I know I am.

Free advertising that somehow profited CGC thousands and thousands of dollars and created the very lucrative CPR method that they are banking on today. Lets not pretend it wasn't mutually beneficial.

If all the CPR went away tomorrow, CGC would still exist.

CPR needs CGC and other legitimate grading companies. CGC and other legitimate grading companies don't need CPR.

And "I love joeypost" threads didn't create CPR.

Of course CPR wouldn't go away. But if not for Joey doing the R&D and testing the market first, would CGC even be in the pressing game today?

Unequivocal yes.

There were professional pressers doing CPR before Joey. Joey didn't invent and develop the CPR market.

It was a mutually beneficial deal. Not charity on behalf of CGC that only Joey was a beneficiary of.

Of course it was mutually beneficial. But it was NOT an equal partnership. Again: CGC doesn't need CPR, and hasn't for the nearly 15 years they've been open, to be in business.

CPR. on the other hand, wouldn't exist without CGC.

How much has CPR added to submissions?

As a percentage, 20%? 30%?

It's not an insignificant growth.

Let me be a bit more gentle about the history response.

Matt Nelson and Susan Cicconni were both doing pressing. Joey essentially saw opportunity that Matt was the only game in town and took it upon himself to do new techniques, and unlike others, actually do it as a business as Matt did.

Additionally, long, long before joey, in fact in the inception of CGC, it was ALWAYS the plan to open a pressing business. In fact, when Ewert hit and the original outcry about pressing started (it was less accepted circa 2004) CGC canned the idea -- it eventually obviously made its way back out. This isn't in dispute and borock himself would tell you it was always part of the plan, it just took them awhile to get to it.

Who would be the first known presser?Bill Sarill,Marnin?

I would have to agree with the one observation that the slab does look crystal clear.

:shy:

Although it's only one look at one scan....

When should we expect that the Ebay banner ads and affiliate links will disappear? Pretty soon we'll see CBCS books there as well.

Same for every auction house that advertises here.

Saw the my first CBCS book on ebay today

Ooo, thanks D! I'm gonna go look...

I can't find it.

Blowie, HELP!!!

:cry:

Giant Size X-Men 1 9.4 -- and I think it sold already -- so look in completed

Link.

:fear:

When should we expect that the Ebay banner ads and affiliate links will disappear? Pretty soon we'll see CBCS books there as well.

Just as a quick breath of air....

Hope you are doing well.I ran across a certain card the other day.Thank you very much.I hope you never change

D.

I can't find it.

Blowie, HELP!!!

:cry:

Giant Size X-Men 1 9.4 -- and I think it sold already -- so look in completed

Link.

That looks good, real good.

Countdown to 12,000? You're not planning on leaving again, are you? :(

Just counting down to 12k posts (I'm a bit slower than most accumulating a large post count)

I may or may not post again when I hit 12,000, but even if I decide to stop posting, I will still be reading threads and sending PMs. I have quite a few people on the Boards here I consider friends or at the least like and respect their contributions.

I'm not as knowledgeable as most, and enjoy learning new nerdlore everyday :grin:

As for the topic of this thread, I can understand CGC's policy and Harshen's PSA a couple weeks back, but again, IMO these actions are a reaction based upon the probability that the NKOTB IS going to affect their overhead. Maybe at first they didn't believe that, but rest assured they do now.

I also understand joey's side of it. Not just the fact that CGC never really enforced the "don't talk about Fight Club" rule when it concerned PGX or OTHER third party companies being mentioned in the threads and those threads disappearing, as they were never perceived as a real threat. Other people who perform pressing services threads weren't poofed as well.... As joey posted earlier, let's wait and see what happens.

There may be more facts/info concerning the ENTIRE situation that we may not be aware of.

In fact, I would lay money on it :gossip:

Bottom line, whether you agree or disagree, It's CGC's website. They can make and implement rules at will, and will do so based upon what's best for their business.

When do the CBCS boards start?

I have an idea for a thread. I am thinking of going with "I Love Matt Nelson".

Free advertising that somehow profited CGC thousands and thousands of dollars and created the very lucrative CPR method that they are banking on today. Lets not pretend it wasn't mutually beneficial.

I'll assume that Joey made a business decision to allow himself to become the "official presser" of the new competitor knowing it may comprise his ability to advertise on the boards through various threads.

No one can have their cake and eat it too, it's business.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)