• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

After about a ten year collecting hiatus, I started buying Silver Age again in 2012 and found the boards through google. I buy a little and have had one sales thread that everyone seemed happy with, at least to my knowledge.

I've been in and out of the hobby since the mid/late 80's. Being on the boards is great, and I find that most folks are here with good intentions. Lots of information to be had and shared. I'd love to meet some folks sometime, just to hang out and talk about comics.

I'm still awaiting my noob hazing, though..........

Swick, and now look at him. He is formite of the year and has a custom title. That could be you some day!

Swick is Slick, that's for sure

Decided to buy my 1st graded book last November after 15yrs of my last comic purchase - went to cgc's site to check the cert number and stumbled across this forum. Next thing I know my half-full tote container of childhood comic collection exploded to 2 long and 2 short boxes full of books.

No sales.

First buy was HouseofComics,Mark rules.

First PM...above.

First good buddy,Human Torch,still is!Love you Dave.

First GA buy,Silversurfer,second good buddy,still is.

First slab and pedigree was esquire comics.

First and only problem...phigam sales wise,threat of violence,was told I would be stabbed,will not mention the name out of respect.

Best friend here and in the world,Kevin J.

Favorite thread.....those that know me know!

Custom title....i don't think it will.ever come.and am madly despondent.

One of the coolest guys I ever met and bought the most from?trmoore54 or RIP Ray O'Gara.....miss you brother...really do.I will one day put together a list of all I bought from you and post them all as a separate collection....i just can't go through the pms....

BEST thread I ever started?This Is A Positive Thread to Make Comics General Better.....

Who rules?Every one.

Oh first person to tell me to :censored: U? Greggy of course.

A great post from a true lover of the medium!

Jimmers! :hi:

It was a dark time for the CGC forum when I signed in. There was an epic tread on a copy of Action 1 owned by a boardie and another boardie was speaking the praises of Obadiah Oldbuck. I could lurk no longer.

Oh right I originally googled Kermit's Pad because he was listing the 'Wytheville Pedigree'-I had messaged him on ebay that there was no such pedigree -I came across a thread on Kermit's pad and overgrading-I started posting on there, made a bunch of enemies and got the thread poofed. Which Kermit was pretty happy about.

The rest is history.

So Kermit's Pad is responsible for you....

Is that collection from Wytheville Virginia? I grew up near there and never knew that. Interesting.

Oh, really? Where? I grew up in Marion.

I was friends with Nick (Flaming Telepath) and he mentioned this place a couple of times during conversation. Then when he knew I was looking for a Captain America # 100, he put me in touch with Arex, who had one for sale so I got chatting with Arex who suggested I should sign up.

Then shortly afterwards, I got chatting with Matt (Anfield Fox) after buying from him on eBay and he also suggested that I should join the boards so I finally got round to registering in late 2006.

The very best thing about this forum is the fact that I've made so many good friends through here. There are plenty of guys here who I enjoy chatting with but also a whole bunch who I enjoy seeing at our regular meet ups for beer and I owe that to the CGC boards.

I was friends with Nick (Flaming Telepath) and he mentioned this place a couple of times during conversation. Then when he knew I was looking for a Captain America # 100, he put me in touch with Arex, who had one for sale so I got chatting with Arex who suggested I should sign up.

Then shortly afterwards, I got chatting with Matt (Anfield Fox) after buying from him on eBay and he also suggested that I should join the boards so I finally got round to registering in late 2006.

The very best thing about this forum is the fact that I've made so many good friends through here. There are plenty of guys here who I enjoy chatting with but also a whole bunch who I enjoy seeing at our regular meet ups for beer and I owe that to the CGC boards.

:applause: getting to know board members on a personal level, and not just behind a keyboard. I think that is what distinguishes us from all the other message boards,and gives us that sense of community.I love meeting board members. (thumbs u

:applause: getting to know board members on a personal level, and not just behind a keyboard. I think that is what distinguishes us from all the other message boards,and gives us that sense of community.I love meeting board members. (thumbs u

You MUST visit us in the UK :idea:

hm

6 years, you live 40 minutes away, and yet....

hm

I finished reading an issue of Think Tank or Manhattan Projects and searched online to see if anyone was talking about it. Read a few posts and threads started by NicoEsq (what happened to that guy?). This site came up both times I searched. I decided to make an account after a few months.

hm

6 years, you live 40 minutes away, and yet....

hm

I would love to meet you RMA.I find your take on all subjects quite fascinating(whether I agree or not),and know that we would click as buds right away. (thumbs u

You MUST visit us in the UK :idea:

I know right! I get a sense that you guys are close knit,but get a couple pints in ya' at the local pub,and you guys would be talkin' alot of friendly smack on each other. lol

My kind of fun for sure. RBpw6FUyRRCt7Ab2FGPl8wTcLzIQ.gif

I was google image searching for ideas to change my comic room around & ended up coming to that thread and reading some of it . I lurked for quite a few months then signed up & went a few more months before actually posting something.

:eek: