• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

DC is making it easy to save money at the theaters.

+1

I really really want them to do well, but they can't get the hell outta their own way!

Just go back to the classic comics and that's ALL you have to do for story & design inspiration.

Seriously...from Marshall Rogers & Brian Bolland & Jose-Luis Garcia-Lopez & Alan Davis to THIS?

Just now seeing this and my 1st thought was... so Max Cady did rape Juliette Lewis and they had a love-child?

That's all I'm seeing. Max Cady wannabe bs. It's old, not fresh, and already been done much better by Robert De Niro. The only thing shocking is how stale it seems.

I take that back. It's a bit shocking what's been removed. The 'Clown' motif that was Joker from day-1 all the way up through Ledger. Gone. Nothing clownish about this fool. No more "Clown Prince of Crime". Been replaced with "Methhead in Makeup", complete with bad teeth and face tat.

Yawn.

692-cabo.jpg

I concur

Just now seeing this and my 1st thought was... so Max Cady did rape Juliette Lewis and they had a love-child?

That's all I'm seeing. Max Cady wannabe bs. It's old, not fresh, and already been done much better by Robert De Niro. The only thing shocking is how stale it seems.

I take that back. It's a bit shocking what's been removed. The 'Clown' motif that was Joker from day-1 all the way up through Ledger. Gone. Nothing clownish about this fool. No more "Clown Prince of Crime". Been replaced with "Methhead in Makeup", complete with bad teeth and face tat.

Yawn.

692-cabo.jpg

I concur

Looks more like stan the caddy

Oh no....

No no no no no.

Barf.

And yes, I will give it a chance. But those tats? And the teeth?

It's like he's trying real hard to look "crazy".

At first I didn't like it but Leto is solid and should do it justice. The real issue I have is the "damaged" tattoo since it looks like something Miley Cyrus would get

The character design has nothing to do with the actor's ability to portray the character.

That's not necessarily true. I recall the outrage of Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker. His performance clearly transcended the doubts. I'm not saying this is exactly the same but we can draw a comparison. Point is, if someone is an excellent actor I reserve judgement until I see it in action. But that still doesn't mean I like all of the elements of the design either.

Common Rumored As Black Manta For Suicide Squad

Now it's being rumored that Common is playing the Aquaman villain, Black Manta.

The character does have a history with the Suicide Squad in the comics as most recently in the New 52, Black Manta turned down Amanda Waller's offer to join the Suicide Squad while in prison (more than once).

If true, we can guess Common may basically have a cameo in Suicide Squad setting him up for the Jason Momoa Aquaman movie.

Apart from the "damaged" tattoo, I think it looks alright. Not really sure about the teeth. He definitely looks scary.

When I first saw the pic, the first thing I thought was "he looks like the Killing Joke".

That Home Alone poster is pretty funny.

Oh no....

No no no no no.

Barf.

And yes, I will give it a chance. But those tats? And the teeth?

It's like he's trying real hard to look "crazy".

At first I didn't like it but Leto is solid and should do it justice. The real issue I have is the "damaged" tattoo since it looks like something Miley Cyrus would get

The character design has nothing to do with the actor's ability to portray the character.

That's not necessarily true. I recall the outrage of Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker. His performance clearly transcended the doubts. I'm not saying this is exactly the same but we can draw a comparison. Point is, if someone is an excellent actor I reserve judgement until I see it in action. But that still doesn't mean I like all of the elements of the design either.

People were upset about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker because they were either unfamiliar with his acting ability, outright believed he didn't possess said acting ability, or thought that he didn't look the part. None of that had anything to do with the character design, or the costume/makeup. It had to do with Ledger the person.

"Outrage" over the depiction of the Joker character shown above for the Suicide Squad movie has nothing to do with Leto being the actor. The people defending the character design keep bringing up Leto for some reason, but that has nothing to do with the discussion. The masses are upset with the design of the Joker - the costume, the makeup - not the actor playing him.

You can't draw a comparison. The situations are completely reversed.

This is something the studios still don't understand. Comic book characters become well known and iconic not just because of what they do in the comics, but how they appear. If you don't have a successful character design, you don't have a character. Take too many liberties with that design, whether its a costume change or a change in the race/sex of a character and you risk losing something in that translation. There is a difference between having a different take on a character and bastardizing the character to the point it no longer aligns with the source material.

Those in charge of coming up with the Joker for the movie had 75 years of source material from which to work. The mixed reactions on the internet are a good indication that they didn't succeed. This is one of those instances where they didn't need to blow people away, they just needed to not screw it up. And it would appear that they have failed.

Those tattoos are distracting and they don't fit with the character. Tattoos aren't a defining characteristic of the Joker to begin with, so you don't need them. If you want them for whatever reason, okay, but you are going to make every single one of them follow the joker/jester/playing card theme? Really?

I didn't know it was possible to have a job as a character concept/make-up artist designer and create something so atrocious. Its really not that hard to design the Joker, he's a lot more straight forward than a lot of villians. This took some effort to ruin the Joker so thoroughly. Not a single one of those tattoos feel in character and look like they belong to some junkie fanboy of the Joker in his gang.