• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

5 Reasons Why SUICIDE SQUAD Could Be The Best Comic Book Movie Of 2016

• The Premise
  • The Cast
  • The Characters
  • The Director
  • The Joker*

For me the only really compelling part of this project is the Director. I like both Ayer's writing and direction in general. Still, I've been disappointed by writers and directors I like in the past, so if it ended up a barely watchable mess, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

The cast I don't have a problem with. There is no one I can't stand, and the weakest actor I'm familiar with is Ben Affleck, and as long as he's not expected to carry a movie, I'm usually okay with him. It appears he will have a minor role in this.

The premise is the weakest link for me. Admittedly I've never read a Suicide Squad comic, but the whole Justice League meets the Dirty Dozen concept seems forced to me, and whether in comics or movies, I've generally preferred stories about individuals to ones of teams, particularly ad hoc

ones ( meaning I'm conceptually more on board for the X-Men or the FF than for the Avengers or JLA). Also, unless a good portion of the team ends up dead ( as in The Dirty Dozen), the "suicide" element of the squad just comes across as a meaningless gimmick.

As for the characters, some I'm not familiar with ( Enchantress, Slipknot) and one I think is stupid ( Captain Boomerang), and others would seem like an obviously bad idea to entrust working in a team, let alone letting out of jail ( Harley, Killer Croc). I'm not sure they all belong in the same movie, even less the same team.

Jared Leto is a good enough actor to pull off an interesting Joker. I loved Heath Ledger's take, but I'm open to any interpretation that works. I expect it to be better than Jack Nicholson's, which I found to be lazy and barely more than a homicidal version Caesar Romero's camp performance. A cartoon version of Jack Torrance form The Shining.

It's almost as if the author (aka snake oil salesman) of that article is deliberately and pointedly trying to turn all of the film's generally accepted and acknowledged negatives into a positive.

Nice try dude.

-J.

I say someone should hunt him down and commence to public flogging. How dare someone appreciate this movie!

hm

lol

-J.

Negative comments, at this stage of more than a year out, may be a part of what they're seeking. The opposite of love is indifference, not hate. Right? So negative commentary at least shows people consider Suicide Squad worth a few moments of their attention span. Some degree of giving a flip.

They're releasing blow-by-blow to a public space for the public to comment on. Odds are they fully understand what that means.

Any publicity is good publicity...maybe
And it may be a way of managing expectations.

Worst case scenario would be audiences arriving with GotG hopes and being served up some 'Fear and Loathing in Gotham City' level unrelatable fever-dream tats&twisted bizarreness.

vlcsnap-2010-10-06-17h56m06s8.png

Any publicity is good publicity...maybe
And it may be a way of managing expectations.

Worst case scenario would be audiences arriving with GotG hopes and being served up some 'Fear and Loathing in Gotham City' level unrelatable fever-dream tats&twisted bizarreness.

vlcsnap-2010-10-06-17h56m06s8.png

I would watch that! :popcorn:

People are complaining for now. But imagine if BATMAN UNCHAINED had been made.

Batman's Harley Quinn Was Once Almost Played By This Rock Star

In a rundown of all the failed Batman-related projects that came and went prior to Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins in 2005, The Hollywood Reporter has the details about Batman Unchained and the version of Harley Quinn that never made it to the big screen. Speaking with Mark Protosevich, who was in charge of penning the -script for the film, the trade learned about how Courtney Love was initially considered to play the Joker's primary romantic interest, and that both the production and the singer/actress were both interested in the prospect of her playing the role. Discussing a lunch meeting that was set up between him and Love, the screenwriter said,

"I think she had heard about the possibility of Harley Quinn being in the new Batman and was thinking she would be good for it. But we didn't really talk about that. We talked about a lot of other things. It was certainly one of the better lunches I've ever had in my career in show business."

Rumor what character Common is playing in this movie.

_1433994663.jpg

Abel Tarrant, aka The Tattooed Man.

Interesting. I hope he nails it so I can finally move my GL #23. lol

People are complaining for now. But imagine if BATMAN UNCHAINED had been made.

Batman's Harley Quinn Was Once Almost Played By This Rock Star

In a rundown of all the failed Batman-related projects that came and went prior to Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins in 2005, The Hollywood Reporter has the details about Batman Unchained and the version of Harley Quinn that never made it to the big screen. Speaking with Mark Protosevich, who was in charge of penning the -script for the film, the trade learned about how Courtney Love was initially considered to play the Joker's primary romantic interest, and that both the production and the singer/actress were both interested in the prospect of her playing the role. Discussing a lunch meeting that was set up between him and Love, the screenwriter said,

"I think she had heard about the possibility of Harley Quinn being in the new Batman and was thinking she would be good for it. But we didn't really talk about that. We talked about a lot of other things. It was certainly one of the better lunches I've ever had in my career in show business."

Even the suggestion makes me want to...

:ohnoez::sick:

Another article from a different site about how Suicide Squad may not be a bad thing?

:o

LATINO REVIEW: Why So Serious? Here's Why 'Suicide Squad' Might Not Suck

David Ayer is someone who has struck gold in his career a few times. Sure he directed the cringeworthy ‘Sabotage,’ a movie where the actors were molded around the film instead of the other way around. And the film was awful because of that reason. But then Ayer said “I need to step my game up” and went on to direct ‘Fury,’ a movie where the film molds itself around the actors. I’m sure by now that you see there is a theme here with how things should work in regards to these movies. Now I won’t say “Joker and Suicide Squad are going to be great, stop crying” because the film could easily be a -2 out of 10. But when you consider who is in it, and who is directing it, it’s hard not be anything but positive about it.

So by combining Ayer’s ability to mold a film around an actor, and Leto’s ability to have a film molded around him, you’ve got a match made in heaven. It may be difficult to look past the appearance of the Joker, but just know that the guy in the ‘ICP’ get-up has a high chance of knocking the role right out of the park and into your living room.

Exactly. There is not enough to judge the movie on now. I thought GoTG would suck big time, but I think it is my favorite Marvel movie now. lol

That's because it is far better than all their others.

‘Suicide Squad’ Rumor: Common & Scott Eastwood’s Roles Revealed

According to Heroic Hollywood, Common is playing Abel Tarrant, a.k.a. Tattooed Man. In the comics, there are three individuals who took the name Tattooed Man, and Abel was the first one. He made his debut as a Green Lantern villain and he has the ability to turn the tattoos on his body into physical objects – they’re made of a certain chemical he can control.

Meanwhile, Hollywood Heroic has another big rumor: the identity of Scott Eastwood’s character. His role has been uncertain, but the site is claiming he’s going to be fan-favorite character Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke. It was originally speculated Eastwood was Steve Trevor – Wonder Woman’s love interest. However, it’s looking more and more like Chris Pine may become Steve Trevor.