• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I have purchased 2 collections now but am finding better luck via estate sales and such. They are less frequent but are a great source for volume as well. I plan on altering the way I take time off from work to attend many more estate sales/auctions which take place on Thursday and Fridays around here. Either way, I agree that volume is the way to go.

Edited by Bird

I have purchased 2 collections now but am finding better luck via estate sales and such. They are less frequent but are a great source for volume as well. I plan on altering the way I take time off from work to attend many more estate sales/auctions which take place on Thursday and Fridays around here. Either way, I agree that volume is the way to go.

Yeah I've noticed it as well when I was doing calculations for my comics.

Sold Comics

NYX #3

Today's thoughts

Finally the nyx 3 is finally gone now I just need to sell my asm 300

Plans

My plans are to sell off all the comics I have starting with the most expensive ones then buy a collection.

It sounds like a lot of fun with tons of profits but do you due diligence before buying any collection. How are you going to get rid of the $0.50/$1 drek that is the majority of any collection? I'm having to donate about 40% of the collection I just bought since those books wouldn't sell for $0.10. I assume you can't do that up in Canada. Are you going to set up at a few local Cons to sell off the books that won't sell on the boards / E-Bay? Just think it thru and map out how you want to make your money.

Yep. Gotta think it all the way thru.

A friend and I just passed on a pretty good collection (better than 90% of your typical Craigs List type finds) just because we don't have the time to put into selling it off. It would've been a great little collection if we were a shop or did the dealer thing full time.

But, ultimately, we passed because it would've taken up too much time for the anticipated profit.

Sold Comics

NYX #3

Today's thoughts

Finally the nyx 3 is finally gone now I just need to sell my asm 300

Plans

My plans are to sell off all the comics I have starting with the most expensive ones then buy a collection.

It sounds like a lot of fun with tons of profits but do you due diligence before buying any collection. How are you going to get rid of the $0.50/$1 drek that is the majority of any collection? I'm having to donate about 40% of the collection I just bought since those books wouldn't sell for $0.10. I assume you can't do that up in Canada. Are you going to set up at a few local Cons to sell off the books that won't sell on the boards / E-Bay? Just think it thru and map out how you want to make your money.

I can give the drek away at thrift shops and get a tax credit for it and also if I were to have a business I can give away the drek for free to people and have it as a ta write off. How I go about buying stuff is I usually check and calculate it's price and see if I can make a profit off of it but like Gator gave me advice I'm going to have to tweak how I look at things.

A friend and I just passed on a pretty good collection (better than 90% of your typical Craigs List type finds) just because we don't have the time to put into selling it off. It would've been a great little collection if we were a shop or did the dealer thing full time.

But, ultimately, we passed because it would've taken up too much time for the anticipated profit.

That makes sense and I'm going to have to make changes in how I look at things #1 being I need to stop overpaying for things.

That makes sense and I'm going to have to make changes in how I look at things #1 being I need to stop overpaying for things.

Comes with time and your experience in making sales. I shake my head at a bunch of my early buys that netted losses but I learned a little bit from each mistake. Get to know what sells for you easily and don't be afraid to pay aggressively for that stuff since making $30 for 2 hours worth of work is pretty good money in the long run.

For example - one of my first big clients was a doctor in California that seemed to want mid grade non-key Silver/Bronze Age books including Conans and other ok sellers. He was willing to pay about 1/2 guide for these books so I was happy to pay 1/3 guide on the boards since I knew I had a easy sale and I needed a big volume of books to flip to this guy. Now that he has stopped buying books, I won't touch most of that stuff unless I get it for 15 - 20% guide because I just do not have a buyer for it. Get to know what works for you.

Comes with time and your experience in making sales. I shake my head at a bunch of my early buys that netted losses but I learned a little bit from each mistake. Get to know what sells for you easily and don't be afraid to pay aggressively for that stuff since making $30 for 2 hours worth of work is pretty good money in the long run.

For example - one of my first big clients was a doctor in California that seemed to want mid grade non-key Silver/Bronze Age books including Conans and other ok sellers. He was willing to pay about 1/2 guide for these books so I was happy to pay 1/3 guide on the boards since I knew I had a easy sale and I needed a big volume of books to flip to this guy. Now that he has stopped buying books, I won't touch most of that stuff unless I get it for 15 - 20% guide because I just do not have a buyer for it. Get to know what works for you.

Thanks most of my mistakes have been overpaying for comics and not buying collections instead of single comics. I too have a client I'm working with and he owns two companies and he gave me a consignment I have two comics left for him to sell and he said he'll give me higher end comics when I do.

hulk 181 update 2

I got my money back from the scammer which is awesome :)

Thoughts and Plans

I think I'll bow out of buying comics for a while till I get stable because I've reached my limit. So that being said I'll just sell the comics I have.

hulk 181 update 2

Thoughts and Plans

I think I'll bow out of buying comics for a while till I get stable because I've reached my limit. So that being said I'll just sell the comics I have.

I think this is the right move. It's basically hitting the reset button. Then you can always start again later with a fresh start and more knowledge and experience.

hulk 181 update 2

Thoughts and Plans

I think this is the right move. It's basically hitting the reset button. Then you can always start again later with a fresh start and more knowledge and experience.

Thanks and yes I've gained expereince but what I won't sell I'll just go to the lcs and put them on consigment that way they'll be safe and my mom won't throw them out.

Gabe, for your medium-to-bigger-books (say, books you expect to net $50 and up), you might consider putting a batch together and consigning them to Mycomicshop. I don't know your comic shop nor what you are looking to sell, but my guess is you will get better, faster results with a wider audience.

I finally sent MCS a batch of books to try them out, most of which are finishing in their current monthly auctions. I'm extremely pleased with the results, especially given that December is usually a tough time to sell stuff. I had a few questions about the process before I sent them in, and Conan here on the boards was kind enough to help out.

What's really nice is that you have absolute control over the pricing of your books through your account... you can set BINs, lower the prices slowly over time as you see fit, and finally move them over to their monthly auctions to blow them out if you decide to.

Gabe, for your medium-to-bigger-books (say, books you expect to net $50 and up), you might consider putting a batch together and consigning them to Mycomicshop. I don't know your comic shop nor what you are looking to sell, but my guess is you will get better, faster results with a wider audience.

I finally sent MCS a batch of books to try them out, most of which are finishing in their current monthly auctions. I'm extremely pleased with the results, especially given that December is usually a tough time to sell stuff. I had a few questions about the process before I sent them in, and Conan here on the boards was kind enough to help out.

What's really nice is that you have absolute control over the pricing of your books through your account... you can set BINs, lower the prices slowly over time as you see fit, and finally move them over to their monthly auctions to blow them out if you decide to.

Sounds good I'll consider that thanks and hope your doing well.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Gabe :foryou:

..... just remember, with buying and selling collectibles, there's no set formula.... sometimes it's one book, sometimes a collection...... just be alert to opportunities. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Gabe :foryou:

..... just remember, with buying and selling collectibles, there's no set formula.... sometimes it's one book, sometimes a collection...... just be alert to opportunities. GOD BLESS...

Thanks I'll keep that in mind

Shhh. Then all 500 Canadians will be down here. Pretty soon we're eating round bacon, and using a heck of a lot more Us where Us shouldn't be.

.... I thought there were only 465 Canadians now..... that the other 35 flung themselves in front of speeding trains when they ran out of cold beer..... GOD BLESS....

Canadians running out of beer, :roflmao:

Yeah, that's just gibberish lol

Moving update: The move was successful and now I have my own room and bathroom :)

Consignment Update: From the consignment I got I have two more comics of his to sell then I'll get more higher end comics and 30% cha-ching

General Update: I still haven't found a job but I got a call back from social assistance which is good so I hope that will stabilize me till I find one.

Moving update: The move was successful and now I have my own room and bathroom :)

Consignment Update: From the consignment I got I have two more comics of his to sell then I'll get more higher end comics and 30% cha-ching

General Update: I still haven't found a job but I got a call back from social assistance which is good so I hope that will stabilize me till I find one.

Good luck to you in 2016!

Good luck to you in 2016!

Thanks all the best of luck to you as well.

8 8