• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Welfare update

I finally got welfare for at least 3 months and I've never been happier to get it I haven't seen that much money in my account for a while.

Congrats?

Welfare update

I finally got welfare for at least 3 months and I've never been happier to get it I haven't seen that much money in my account for a while.

Congrats?

Thanks it was either that or a homeless shelter so I'm very happy :)

Welfare update

I was going to ignore this, but I can't. On one hand you're buying and brokering comic books and next your on welfare. Welfare is there for a reason, and if you qualify for it, okay. But when, in your own "road to success" thread, you are flying flags about being on welfare, that is just not cool. There is nothing wrong with being on welfare, but where I come from, it's not something to be proud of either. Not only that, but why did you trumpet the fact that your on welfare on a public message board? If you want to be congratulated, try coming on here and saying you have a job.

Welfare update

I was going to ignore this, but I can't. On one hand you're buying and brokering comic books and next your on welfare. Welfare is there for a reason, and if you qualify for it, okay. But when, in your own "road to success" thread, you are flying flags about being on welfare, that is just not cool. There is nothing wrong with being on welfare, but where I come from, it's not something to be proud of either. Not only that, but why did you trumpet the fact that your on welfare on a public message board? If you want to be congratulated, try coming on here and saying you have a job.

As opposed to homelessness, I'm sure he's happy to have the welfare. But I don't think he's 'proud' of it either, although it is a weird thing to say publicly.

I probably would have gone with 'my financial situation is a bit more stable than it has been in a while, but I'm still seeking newer, better opportunities working hard to find a job'

but for better or worse, the OP has decided to be almost too transparent with his journey, process, and quest, which include very personal details of his life. I believe its done out of the genuine desire for input and instruction from more experienced people, but also in some cases to the detriment of his cause.

EVERYONE understands that people get into financial stress from time to time, but I'm sure there are MANY people who would be reticent about buying, selling, or consigning to someone who is or has been on welfare, now or in the future. Its good to be part of a community, sometimes great. But when that community is also a key part of meeting your future financial goals, you have to approach that community in a professional manner, and that includes how much of your personal life you choose to reveal. It has an impact.

Welfare update

I did this for the simple fact that this is my journal and I choose what I feel like sharing. I'm not proud of the fact that I have welfare and yes I did qualify for it. I'm doing it because on the road to success it's not easy but when faced with a situation I do something about it not pretend it hasn't happened I'm proud of the fact that I did something about my situation even if it is temporary as it gives me a saftey net while I get a job there is no shame in that I'd rather welfare then be on the streets I'm sure you would too. I don't know each of your situations but I'm sure someone can relate with me on this. Believe me I'm not doing this in any way, shape, or form that's superficial what you see is what you get. Also with the point about the job the welfare will help with my resume and work skills.

Welfare update

As opposed to homelessness, I'm sure he's happy to have the welfare. But I don't think he's 'proud' of it either, although it is a weird thing to say publicly.

I probably would have gone with 'my financial situation is a bit more stable than it has been in a while, but I'm still seeking newer, better opportunities working hard to find a job'

but for better or worse, the OP has decided to be almost too transparent with his journey, process, and quest, which include very personal details of his life. I believe its done out of the genuine desire for input and instruction from more experienced people, but also in some cases to the detriment of his cause.

EVERYONE understands that people get into financial stress from time to time, but I'm sure there are MANY people who would be reticent about buying, selling, or consigning to someone who is or has been on welfare, now or in the future. Its good to be part of a community, sometimes great. But when that community is also a key part of meeting your future financial goals, you have to approach that community in a professional manner, and that includes how much of your personal life you choose to reveal. It has an impact.

Thanks I agree with the points you've made and my situation is temporary as I find a job and move onto stability. So with personal life what should I share or not share? I'm not going to pretend everything is ok when it's not and this is part of my journal the struggle part I'm not the best at being professional in regards to what I should or shouldn't say but if you have tips I'll listen to them.

General updates

I've been cleaning up my room and making things more organized so next time I need something comic book wise I can see it, I've cleaned up my facebook groups and some posts.

Comics Sold

Han Solo #2 Copy 2

Today's Thoughts

I'm thinking of putting them on ebay as they didn't move so well as well as the astonishing tales #29 also it seems I'm not the only one with slow sales lately.

Edited by uchiha101

BA12 Grade update

So finally my ba12 came back from pressing and will be on it's way soon

The grade is a 9.6 W

Congrats! That should help nicely with getting some $$$ flow!

Thanks it really will and I'm happy the job josh did with the comic

BA12 Grade update

The grade is a 9.6 W

Very nice book in 9.6. Congrats!

BA12 Grade update

The grade is a 9.6 W

Very nice book in 9.6. Congrats!

Thanks I thought it would come back a 9.2/9.4 so I'm very happy with a 9.6

Welfare update

Thanks I agree with the points you've made and my situation is temporary as I find a job and move onto stability. So with personal life what should I share or not share? I'm not going to pretend everything is ok when it's not and this is part of my journal the struggle part I'm not the best at being professional in regards to what I should or shouldn't say but if you have tips I'll listen to them.

Think about things that would impact your decision making if you were on the OTHER side of the equation.

Say 20 years from now, you've achieved some modest success, have a few thousand dollar books, a job, a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and you feel like you'd like to move some of your high $$ books. It COULD BE a factor that the person you're considering is or has been on government assistance, or filed bankruptcy, or can't seem to find or hold a stable job, or committed a certain type of crime in the past, or has a specific medical condition that may materially impact your view on their ability to perform the job they are ostensibly paid to do.

For example, people end up on government assistance for a myriad of reasons, many of them are legitimate and reasonable, and circumstantial. But at the same time, many of those people end up their out of lazyness, and/or bad personal/financial decisions. And a lot of the time, maybe of the people who are doing better in life, are more reluctant to add risk to their portfolio by entrusting any of their financial well being to people with certain histories.

With that being said, we've all been young and trying to figure stuff out before, with successes and failures, and in many/most cases, some very lean times.

These forums can be a fun place, full of mirth and sharing and building of personal relationships. But for you, who has personally prioritized comics as a business goal for yourself, the things you share here are tantamount to things shared in one huge, long job interview. Anyone who reads what you write here could be a future employer or consignor or customer. At minimum, you should be doing your best to not provide any personal information that would alienate you from any segment of the buying or selling market here. Your candor is refreshing and honest, and it has everyone rooting for you. But to me at least, it doesn't seem to inspire confidence in your abilities as a comic businessman (although I get that you readily admit you need more training and experience).

Welfare update

Think about things that would impact your decision making if you were on the OTHER side of the equation.

Say 20 years from now, you've achieved some modest success, have a few thousand dollar books, a job, a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and you feel like you'd like to move some of your high $$ books. It COULD BE a factor that the person you're considering is or has been on government assistance, or filed bankruptcy, or can't seem to find or hold a stable job, or committed a certain type of crime in the past, or has a specific medical condition that may materially impact your view on their ability to perform the job they are ostensibly paid to do.

For example, people end up on government assistance for a myriad of reasons, many of them are legitimate and reasonable, and circumstantial. But at the same time, many of those people end up their out of lazyness, and/or bad personal/financial decisions. And a lot of the time, maybe of the people who are doing better in life, are more reluctant to add risk to their portfolio by entrusting any of their financial well being to people with certain histories.

With that being said, we've all been young and trying to figure stuff out before, with successes and failures, and in many/most cases, some very lean times.

These forums can be a fun place, full of mirth and sharing and building of personal relationships. But for you, who has personally prioritized comics as a business goal for yourself, the things you share here are tantamount to things shared in one huge, long job interview. Anyone who reads what you write here could be a future employer or consignor or customer. At minimum, you should be doing your best to not provide any personal information that would alienate you from any segment of the buying or selling market here. Your candor is refreshing and honest, and it has everyone rooting for you. But to me at least, it doesn't seem to inspire confidence in your abilities as a comic businessman (although I get that you readily admit you need more training and experience).

I have thought of the happening so next time I'll keep those things out and just stick to comic struggles like you say I should be doing.

8 8