• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2022 at 6:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will have good news about this soon but, we will have to wait for the formal announcement.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e00ca8b2ded6347826915003896f77a5.jpeg

It's probably good that they're going to make this big announcement, but I really don't know what they can say that will put our minds at ease. Off the top of my head, there are 2 possible things they can say...

"We knew" - doesn't really promote confidence if they knew all along, but did very little, if anything.

"We didn't know" - also doesn't promote a whole lot of confidence.

122542447_headinsand.jpg.4599f6865060a11d3294ac29d9cead5d.jpg

I hope there is something else they can say, but I don't know what it could be.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:32 AM, Gaard said:

It's probably good that they're going to make this big announcement, but I really don't know what they can say that will put our minds at ease. Off the top of my head, there are 2 possible things they can say...

"We knew" - doesn't really promote confidence if they knew all along, but did very little, if anything.

"ok, ok, this time we really created a quality control department" 

On 5/20/2022 at 7:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will have good news about this soon but, we will have to wait for the formal announcement.  

Hope it’s something good because I’m tired of paying the premium prices of fast track and getting cases with insane amounts of newton rings and then shards of plastic in the cases.

Then I have one book I sent to you guys in this last order which I cleaned and press all of my books, and it came back with white specs on the right cover. I’m not sure if it’s in the Mylar, the case or if the grader or encapsulater was eating powdered doughnuts while grading my book and dropped some powder on the book. I have pictures of this book before I sent it in and it makes no sense at all.

Mike, while we’re at it who over there is grading the Modern books? Many of us on these forums are noticing this concerning trend with books from the 80s and 90s are being graded very harshly especially when the amount of issues a book might have do not amount to the letter grade. Then we don’t even get notes on these low graded books. It’s crazy.

Edited by captainzombie

On 5/21/2022 at 10:15 AM, captainzombie said:

Mike, while we’re at it who over there is grading the Modern books? Many of us on these forums are noticing this concerning trend with books from the 80s and 90s are being graded very harshly especially when the amount of issues a book might have do not amount to the letter grade. Then we don’t even get notes on these low graded books. It’s crazy.

I've been hearing of this for a long while now. I hate to say it, but when you're paying good money to have a grading service grade your books, and they're coming back with make believe grades, it's time to seriously rethink submitting books to that grading company.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:32 AM, Gaard said:

Actually, maybe they're going to start a money back guarantee if they don't hit the TAT, like the other guys are doing now.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, Gaard said:

I've been hearing of this for a long while now. I hate to say it, but when you're paying good money to have a grading service grade your books, and they're coming back with make believe grades, it's time to seriously rethink submitting books to that grading company.

The market needs to speak and vote with their feet. And maybe it already has and the market is saying "Even with all these issues, it's still worth it to send my books it." 

If several thousand books pass in and out of CGC every day (who knows what the actual number is), and that business is still innovating new ways to publicize and market their product (new sets of designer labels, new signing events, new record-high sales of grails, new VHS market, etc.) without ever publicly acknowledging their QC issues and only tangentially acknowledging their TAT backlogs, maybe that's their focus because that's where the market is still pointing them. 

For those who make their livelihood hitching their income streams to CGC's product and reputation, this is similar to the "supply-chain" breakdown where you just can't get the supplies you need to keep your business going because of the upstream QC/TAT backlog. Really sucks.  

A public acknowledgement of the problem and a concerted, visible, concrete set of steps delineated to reduce the problem would go a long way, but may also feed right into their competitor's advantage. 

Woolworth's was great, until it wasn't anymore. 

On 5/21/2022 at 9:56 AM, jcjames said:

The market needs to speak and vote with their feet. And maybe it already has and the market is saying "Even with all these issues, it's still worth it to send my books it." 

If several thousand books pass in and out of CGC every day (who knows what the actual number is), and that business is still innovating new ways to publicize and market their product (new sets of designer labels, new signing events, new record-high sales of grails, new VHS market, etc.) without ever publicly acknowledging their QC issues and only tangentially acknowledging their TAT backlogs, maybe that's their focus because that's where the market is still pointing them. 

For those who make their livelihood hitching their income streams to CGC's product and reputation, this is similar to the "supply-chain" breakdown where you just can't get the supplies you need to keep your business going because of the upstream QC/TAT backlog. Really sucks.  

A public acknowledgement of the problem and a concerted, visible, concrete set of steps delineated to reduce the problem would go a long way, but may also feed right into their competitor's advantage. 

Woolworth's was great, until it wasn't anymore. 

This is exactly the case. i have been grading books for a few friends and after the relaibilty issues with QC i made the decision yesterday to contact everone and let them know i could no longer submit for them as i cant consciously give them subpar slabs and possibly eat cost trying to fix it. Definitely a supply chain breakdown.

Just received this back from the CGC .. look closely at Sabrina and you will see a 9 inch black hair going across the entire book .. sealed in the case. (actually - editing this as I realized its not only sealed but comes right out of the top as well...)

h0021.jpg

IMG_9885.thumb.jpg.9d27ecd232a97f1f69b131287cc4211c.jpg

IMG_9886.thumb.jpg.f66cc25e6ed154b9c99c72024d2118ae.jpg

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

On 5/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

Just received this back from the CGC .. look closely at Sabrina and you will see a 9 inch black hair going across the entire book .. sealed in the case. (actually - editing this as I realized its not only sealed but comes right out of the top as well...)

h0021.jpg

IMG_9885.thumb.jpg.9d27ecd232a97f1f69b131287cc4211c.jpg

cheese-challenge-cat.gif.9f6884ba4bf77c028aacc319d9478bd3.gif