• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2023 at 10:46 AM, asteroid-comix said:

That's the issue. These are not personal copies, or they wouldn't be in plastic. These are to resell. Why should I take a $25-40 hit on the price of the book because CGC did pisspoor work?

I’m curious if MCS would find these slabs acceptable, or if they would request a reholder before selling.

@mycomicshop

5DAD9AD3-41A8-40F3-8F83-02025A4326B9.jpeg

62F9D147-E48E-4873-B0ED-51113E24BDF8.jpeg

76B9D5E1-70F7-4C89-ABC0-439CD40BBCCD.jpeg

344B35D7-6514-40B5-A43D-A48C567830C6.jpeg

BBDCA712-843E-4FE3-8F91-F3867D4F527D.jpeg

3A4120CB-FD43-45F2-B3A4-7236A84FCFB5.jpeg

AE1AD8A1-C7AB-490A-9B50-35CB253128F0.jpeg

3279AD4C-02B3-4CFC-93DE-9DE33000C58E.jpeg

FE60319A-FE91-4925-9842-BD821B0CA138.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 5/10/2023 at 5:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I can't imagine CGC ever revealing that kind of information Gaard. I'm about to make my first submission, and I'm a little nervous as to what may come. I'm nervous of paying a not inconsiderable sum, getting my book back with one or more of the issues in this thread, and then having to argue with CGC about remediation. No one knows what % of submissions end trouble free, and it's likely to be the vast majority, but if anything can go wrong, I'm the type it tends to happen to. So I'm nervous, if I'm honest.

CGC choose to advertise a crystal clear product with superior optics which they say is carefully QC'd before being released. That is what you pay for. But they also state in other channels that the plastics that they use can result in an off-putting optical effect which they say is normal and acceptable. And, of course, we see all the evidence we need in this thread to establish very clearly that not all books are QC'd, as they say. So should one deal with a company that effectively wants its cake and eats it? I accept that mistakes can happen in any business, but it's the attitude prevalent in this thread and the lack of apparent after care that troubles me. If my submission goes wrong, what battles will I have to face and over what period of time?

When Roy Batty went back to the Tyrell Corporation seeking more life he was told it wasn't possible. Lots of options were discussed but the four year life span was hard-coded and that was that. Tyrell didn't advertise anything other than that because it was not technically possible to extend a Replicant's life beyond four years. So should CGC advertise crystal clear cases, when the close proximity of the plastics that they use can and does result in an optical effect that all but only the very obtuse would describe as 'crystal clear'? Should they state all books are carefully QC'd when they clearly are not?

This thread could run for another four years and I don't think anything would change. At the end of the day, it gets dark, and we have a choice. Submit, and take the chance, or don't. It's that simple. I'm going to give it a go, as it seems to be the only way I'll be able to eventually sell my book for what it is worth. That is the nature of the beast now that CGC have positioned themselves as the be all and end all in the hobby. Few people will buy a high value book for what it is worth now without that CGC guarantee. But I'll be crossing my fingers very, very hard. You don't need to be a regular submitter to have a view on this. As a first time submitter, this thread - especially the CGC responses within it - puts me off. I suspect it puts others off too. But there is no sign of anything changing. Submit, or don't.

Wish me luck!

This is exactly the same risk/reward valuation process I go through every time I think about submitting, and I still can't bring myself to do it.  CGC charges way too much and their process takes way too long for me to trust them with my comics as long as they continue to have these ridiculous QC issues.  If they solve the QC issues, I'll gladly submit some books, but for now, it's just not worth the risk to me.  I don't plan on selling my comics anytime soon, so (hopefully) I can wait.

On 5/10/2023 at 4:30 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I agree with this. I don't think it is for CGC to determine what flaws are acceptable, whether that be Newton Rings, scuffs or these cracks. Would CGC tolerate any of these examples in their own advertising? If they graded a 9.9 AF15, and wanted to show it off to the world in all its crystal clear glory, do you think it would ever display any of these issues?

Come on now cgc advertising as if they know what they are doing either. 

Like when they made a 20 ft banner of a hulk 1 cgc 8.0 and it was a Photoshop of a 6.0 book in the holder.  Lol 

On 5/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious if MCS would find these slabs acceptable, or if they would request a reholder before selling.

@mycomicshop

5DAD9AD3-41A8-40F3-8F83-02025A4326B9.jpeg

62F9D147-E48E-4873-B0ED-51113E24BDF8.jpeg

76B9D5E1-70F7-4C89-ABC0-439CD40BBCCD.jpeg

344B35D7-6514-40B5-A43D-A48C567830C6.jpeg

BBDCA712-843E-4FE3-8F91-F3867D4F527D.jpeg

3A4120CB-FD43-45F2-B3A4-7236A84FCFB5.jpeg

AE1AD8A1-C7AB-490A-9B50-35CB253128F0.jpeg

3279AD4C-02B3-4CFC-93DE-9DE33000C58E.jpeg

FE60319A-FE91-4925-9842-BD821B0CA138.jpeg

They look like they were assembled using too much Testors Plastic Cement.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:04 PM, Iceman399 said:

Come on now cgc advertising as if they know what they are doing either. 

Like when they made a 20 ft banner of a hulk 1 cgc 8.0 and it was a Photoshop of a 6.0 book in the holder.  Lol 

They did what? :tonofbricks:

On 5/10/2023 at 5:04 PM, Iceman399 said:

They told me that banner went through banner QC!

On 5/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

They did what? :tonofbricks:

It was for C2E2/WWC/Bmore in like 2019.  They had a massive booth for drop off/signing/onsite (so don't think it was WWC).  The hulk 1 was like a giant 20' banner they had up showcasing what a slab looked like.  Well rather than take a hulk 1 8.0 and blow that up someone decided to photoshop in a much lower grade copy (or maybe it was the Promise Collection copy lol ) I can't find the pic on my camera but I'll see if I can track it down.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, Dr. Balls said:

We need a 3rd party service that certifies the condition of the slab and puts a cool sticker on it in order to potentially generate more revenue. :banana:

I’ve already got the acronyms for ComicLink and Heritage’s new services:

CVAS - Currently Verifying Any Slab

QESNRSYPUFT - Quickly Exploiting Suckers, No Really Suckers, You’re Paying Us For This?

Edited by mattn792

On 5/10/2023 at 4:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I can't imagine CGC ever revealing that kind of information Gaard. I'm about to make my first submission, and I'm a little nervous as to what may come. I'm nervous of paying a not inconsiderable sum, getting my book back with one or more of the issues in this thread, and then having to argue with CGC about remediation. No one knows what % of submissions end trouble free, and it's likely to be the vast majority, but if anything can go wrong, I'm the type it tends to happen to. So I'm nervous, if I'm honest.

CGC choose to advertise a crystal clear product with superior optics which they say is carefully QC'd before being released. That is what you pay for. But they also state in other channels that the plastics that they use can result in an off-putting optical effect which they say is normal and acceptable. And, of course, we see all the evidence we need in this thread to establish very clearly that not all books are QC'd, as they say. So should one deal with a company that effectively wants its cake and eats it? I accept that mistakes can happen in any business, but it's the attitude prevalent in this thread and the lack of apparent after care that troubles me. If my submission goes wrong, what battles will I have to face and over what period of time?

When Roy Batty went back to the Tyrell Corporation seeking more life he was told it wasn't possible. Lots of options were discussed but the four year life span was hard-coded and that was that. Tyrell didn't advertise anything other than that because it was not technically possible to extend a Replicant's life beyond four years. So should CGC advertise crystal clear cases, when the close proximity of the plastics that they use can and does result in an optical effect that all but only the very obtuse would describe as 'crystal clear'? Should they state all books are carefully QC'd when they clearly are not?

This thread could run for another four years and I don't think anything would change. At the end of the day, it gets dark, and we have a choice. Submit, and take the chance, or don't. It's that simple. I'm going to give it a go, as it seems to be the only way I'll be able to eventually sell my book for what it is worth. That is the nature of the beast now that CGC have positioned themselves as the be all and end all in the hobby. Few people will buy a high value book for what it is worth now without that CGC guarantee. But I'll be crossing my fingers very, very hard. You don't need to be a regular submitter to have a view on this. As a first time submitter, this thread - especially the CGC responses within it - puts me off. I suspect it puts others off too. But there is no sign of anything changing. Submit, or don't.

Wish me luck!

Quoting this so I can say "Don't do it".

Also....so I can quote it again later and say "I told you so".

On 5/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

At least they've left the thread up. WHICH THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO!

Yes they did.  People are going to complain.  They know it's better to have it focused in one thread than posted all over the boards.  

On 5/10/2023 at 2:31 PM, Beastfeast said:

This thread well documents their screw ups (some of them being massive screw ups) but it seems like some of y’all make a hobby of seeking out problems.  

Imagine if those problems weren't there to be found.

On 5/11/2023 at 6:56 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Yes they did.  People are going to complain.  They know it's better to have it focused in one thread than posted all over the boards.  

"... WHICH THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO!" and its progenitor is a board classic.

On 5/10/2023 at 3:45 PM, Gaard said:

Let me see if I have this straight...

If the slab damage isn't in the line of view of the comic, it's acceptable. Is that right?

If one closes their eyes when looking at a CGC slab, it looks great. :facepalm::wink: