• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I will share our customers complaints regarding this to upper management.  I am hoping after a little time has passed, these new guidelines for ME's will be revised.   

On 5/16/2023 at 9:00 PM, Iceman399 said:

- severe newton rings (without pointing fingers I don't think the other competitors have this issue).

They don't.

(I'll also pretend like we don't all know who we're talking about).

Back today... After paying for walkthrough...pressing takes 11 days.  Grading takes another 9 days, both WK tier.  Mind you, took 5 days to open the box, covered in red and black WK.  Okay, great, they get slammed, I can live with it, although it's not cool for paying a premium.  

What I CANNOT tolerate, is after waiting 25 days for an advertised 5 days total TAT (3 pressing + 2 grading when sent in), is my cherished collectible being returned to me like this.  Like what the actual heck?  It is COVERED in the now standard CGC smudge/scuffs/goo/whateveritis on the sealed bag.

I mean, seriously, how is this acceptable to return to me like this?  

Now my recourse is to rush it back in, lickety split, or else I'm out another $50+2x shipping charges.  Wait 60-90 days and pray that maybe, just maybe it will look better this time.  

I was beyond excited to get this back.  It's like being a kid on Christmas morning again.  Then just absolutely crushed when it has issues.  Unbelievable.  

Pictures are just the worst.  It is all over, 1-3mm spots up and down.  Somehow the back is crystal clear, yay

PXL_20230517_003104342~2.jpg

PXL_20230517_003110256.jpg

PXL_20230517_003151762~2.jpg

PXL_20230517_003147079~2.jpg

On 5/16/2023 at 9:18 PM, Sigur Ros said:

They don't.

(I'll also pretend like we don't all know who we're talking about).

I know they don't.  I also love that to this day we have to refrain from saying their name else it gives CGC motive to nuke the thread.

At this point, I think it’s safe to say that everyone’s worst fears about the Blackstone take over have come true. The recent exorbitant price hikes and new ME policy make it perfectly clear that dealing with CGC (at the very least, are the other members of CCG also suffering from this?) is just like watching Goodfellas:

- Your book’s FMV is $1050?  Fk you, pay me.

- Newton rings make it look like your book was slabbed by BP?  Fk you, pay me.

- Plastic shards in your slab?  Fk you, pay me.

- Your mom was in the hospital and you didn’t notice an ME until 30 days later?  Fk you, pay me.

Blackstone stock is also down about 45% in the past 18 months if you’re looking for some correlations.  

On 5/16/2023 at 6:21 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

It is COVERED in the now standard CGC smudge/scuffs/goo/whateveritis on the sealed bag.

That's on the inner sleeve, not the outer case? I've had great success with Polywatch on the outer case scuffs. Eliminated/significantly reduced about 85% of scuffs in like 5 minutes of effort. Obviously not defending CGC on this issue, but it's an easier solve than ME.

On 5/16/2023 at 8:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will share our customers complaints regarding this to upper management.  I am hoping after a little time has passed, these new guidelines for ME's will be revised.   

@CGC Mike Please have a talk with upper management and if you need examples (like you guys don't have enough already), please use the images that I sent as a PM to you two weeks ago where I had several books all get mislabeled. I try to privately message you about the issues I encounter out of respect and I know you do your job to help us out, but some of these issues of late are not cool.

I think a lot of us can swallow these price hikes and inconsistent kinks in some of the process if the tables (with regards to cases) by Blackstone and CGC are not turned around on the customer.

They really then need to figure out the situation with these cruddy cases if they plan to have 14 day return policy to fix the issues. Even worse is the newton rings on cases now are our problem, when in actuality its the cases you guys use. Then if the cases are in such bad shape, your company should be really looking at a new company to produce better cases. My previous submission before last, I had a case that looked like it was dragged on pavement and then placed in the box to be shipped to me.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:51 PM, mattn792 said:

At this point, I think it’s safe to say that everyone’s worst fears about the Blackstone take over have come true. The recent exorbitant price hikes and new ME policy make it perfectly clear that dealing with CGC (at the very least, are the other members of CCG also suffering from this?) is just like watching Goodfellas:

- Your mom was in the hospital and you didn’t notice an ME until 30 days later?  Fk you, pay me.

Blackstone stock is also down about 45% in the past 18 months if you’re looking for some correlations.  

It's very evident they no longer care about the "collection" aspect.  You point out a key word, "members."  At the end of the day, this is a group of members, with varied interests.  People collect for different reasons, but the end goal is the same.  We are members that pay for a service.  The service is to preserve and display, as well as validate our collectible.  Adjacently, it's to connect with other members in a shared interest.  It's hard to trust CGC on the latter when they clearly are not concerned about the former.  Personally, I don't care if it's validated if it looks like spoon. 

On 5/16/2023 at 11:50 PM, smarkjobber said:

That's on the inner sleeve, not the outer case? I've had great success with Polywatch on the outer case scuffs. Eliminated/significantly reduced about 85% of scuffs in like 5 minutes of effort. Obviously not defending CGC on this issue, but it's an easier solve than ME.

Yes, it's on the inside.  This has been the ongoing issue for past handful of months.  No idea what it is.  Have looked at it closely, under magnification, and even cracked two open to check it out.  Seems to be either scuffing or residue on the inner sleeve.  Obviously, don't want to rub/press down on the case which could damage the book or case.  There is no reasonable way to clean it.  Even the ones I cracked, using a soft cloth did nothing to remove it.  I have no idea how/why it's even occurring.  Has to be either a root defect from whoever manufactures the sleeves and CGC is just sending them anyway to cut losses, or it's something during encapsulation/from handling.

I almost wondered if it was something implemented to reduce the newton rings?  I noticed about the time I saw a huge decrease in rings, this new scuffing/residue started showing up.  

On 5/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, Tcarroll17 said:

Yes, it's on the inside.  This has been the ongoing issue for past handful of months.  No idea what it is.  Have looked at it closely, under magnification, and even cracked two open to check it out.  Seems to be either scuffing or residue on the inner sleeve.  Obviously, don't want to rub/press down on the case which could damage the book or case.  There is no reasonable way to clean it.  Even the ones I cracked, using a soft cloth did nothing to remove it.  I have no idea how/why it's even occurring.  Has to be either a root defect from whoever manufactures the sleeves and CGC is just sending them anyway to cut losses, or it's something during encapsulation/from handling.

I almost wondered if it was something implemented to reduce the newton rings?  I noticed about the time I saw a huge decrease in rings, this new scuffing/residue started showing up.  

I've had several slabs in the past few months that have had this scuffing/residue AND Newton Rings in the same areas of the slab.  They actually seem to play well together.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:13 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

I've had several slabs in the past few months that have had this scuffing/residue AND Newton Rings in the same areas of the slab.  They actually seem to play well together.

Well there goes my unfounded, rampant speculation! 

On 5/17/2023 at 12:36 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

Well there goes my unfounded, rampant speculation! 

The saving grace here is that some slabs will be "lucky" enough to have the scuffing/residue and newton rings.  They can no longer be submitted for a ME for the newton rings.  But they CAN BE SUBMITTED for a ME for the scuffing/residue.  Right now, that is....

On 5/16/2023 at 9:22 PM, Iceman399 said:

I know they don't.  I also love that to this day we have to refrain from saying their name else it gives CGC motive to nuke the thread.

It's a very insecure company, or moderator.  Not sure which.

On 5/17/2023 at 3:44 PM, TegrityComics said:

Gee, I wonder how long it will take before people start smashing corners of the slabs with a hammer just because it had a Newton ring when they received it back from CGC.  :whistle:

brilliant.jpg

On 5/16/2023 at 7:51 PM, mattn792 said:

and you thought that was from Blackstone? lol

That was started back in 1999, where have you been.

You guys act like CGC is your pal.  They have one goal to make $$$$$$$$$$, which is the goal of opening up a business.

YARN | Wake up, will ya, pal? | Wall Street (1987) | Video clips by quotes  | ed348425 | 紗