• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2023 at 10:24 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

Hahaha...didn't even notice that.  Well, great, my note didn't point that out so guess it'll come back with bonus numbers again.  

Right?  I thought the same thing...I had another one just like this last order, but was missing half the notes instead of all.  Like why would it not be fixed text, then just inserting the grade and cert?  I've had a handful of mislabels last few months...they must literally hand enter each one or something.  

And then on the flipside...how hard would it be in QC.  Give them a tablet, load the pic of what the book should look like with the correct label, compare, accept or reject.  

I have a feeling it's less the day to day workers along the line and more so a process/protocol issue.

From seeing submissions where the label is not even close to the comic inside, I believe QC (if there is such a step in the process at all) looks at the comics in the shipping box (i.e. top edge only), makes sure the count is right and (generally) the titles match the submission sheet, and that's it.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, Robert_L said:

That is exactly what I was mentioning several pages ago. Perfectly good books ruined after they leave the graders hands. I had a signed Campbell Black Cat #2 'Le Chat' come back with a color-breaking crease, a 9.9 DC cardstock cover with a 3/4" crease, etc.... Someone in the casing Dept is very careless

That's a lot of ticks from just putting a book in a sleeve.

Why are you assuming it happened after grading? 

I think it often happens instead of grading.  🤷

Screenshot_20220429-205400_Photos.thumb.jpg.20c0bd403264fc5df7258089878c327e.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_112446_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a7a2907932c4d6f4c079e4daf9173f5b.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_112451_Instagram.thumb.jpg.b3a43e2a8f203ab5b4bdcb574373af7a.jpg

Screenshot_20220429-205445_Photos.thumb.jpg.26d9e8e47fcad578b8234f1100d57b4d.jpg

I posted about this in another thread yesterday.  I should have posted it here.

Yesterday, I saw this set go up for sale on on eBay.  It's a pic of the Batman 135 Quesada Connecting Covers A & B.  However, the two different covers are both labeled "Quesada Variant Cover."

image.png.926830085d330c635613efc1978e12f0.png

Here's a link to the eBay listing for reference:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235023420171

AND THEN, this was posted for sale on eBay earlier this morning:

image.thumb.png.671ca3982f7a55dfe60be16d68a9020b.png

Again, Quesada Connecting Variants A & B BUT this time they're both labeled "Variant Cover."

Here's a link to the eBay listing for reference:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364272420784

Clearly, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, manetteska said:

From seeing submissions where the label is not even close to the comic inside, I believe QC (if there is such a step in the process at all) looks at the comics in the shipping box (i.e. top edge only), makes sure the count is right and (generally) the titles match the submission sheet, and that's it.

This sounds very plausible based on the evidence

I've been of the belief that QC uses a sampling method, checking only every ten or twenty books or whatever but your theory is a good one.

• Administrator
On 5/24/2023 at 1:22 PM, Ryan. said:

I've been of the belief that QC uses a sampling method, checking only every ten or twenty books or whatever but your theory is a good one.

When I observed QC for a few hours, they looked at both the front and back of each book for several seconds.  

• Administrator
On 5/24/2023 at 1:43 PM, manetteska said:

@CGC Mike - if, when observed, they looked at the front and back for several seconds, how does the above happen?

I can't answer that question.  I was just letting everyone know what I saw.  

On 5/24/2023 at 1:43 PM, manetteska said:

@CGC Mike - if, when observed, they looked at the front and back for several seconds, how does the above happen?

I'm more curious how many seconds it takes to avoid this.  Clearly a few is not enough.

spawn-upside-down-1.jpg.73c1f3756ac67456de4ac8aa2e35ab49.thumb.jpg.6020b2dd0381942ed901727025aeba03.jpg

There aren't that many options here. Either they don't look at every book or some of the people looking at books are completely incompetent at their jobs. How else can you explain something like bad labels continuing to go out the door?

On 5/24/2023 at 7:45 PM, wombat said:

There aren't that many options here. Either they don't look at every book or some of the people looking at books are completely incompetent at their jobs. How else can you explain something like bad labels continuing to go out the door?

Tbh I agree, but it's weird. There was lore that it happens in shipping or down the road, but we never here those stories...

It sounded plausible because I've picked up some of my slabs with regular force and seen the plastics come together, slowly released and it mostly went away and fairly quickly.

It does sound feasible, but although that would agree with an after the fact or receive of submission, and or, definitely after 14 days? It doesn't comfort me much. There just is that whole discussion to eventually have? lol

Like be as gentle with slabs as much as raws?  :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/24/2023 at 8:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Tbh I agree, but it's weird. There was lore that it happens in shipping or down the road, but we never here those stories...

It sounded plausible because I've picked up some of my slabs with regular force and seen the plastics come together, slowly released and it mostly went away and fairly quickly.

It does sound feasible, but although that would agree with an after the fact or receive of submission, and or, definitely after 14 days? It doesn't comfort me much. There just is that whole discussion to eventually have? lol

Like be as gentle with slabs as much as raws?  :roflmao:

I'm not even talking about damage. I'm talking about examples like above with all the information missing from the label. If CGC is saying someone inspected that book then you have to question if they are telling the truth or the person who inspected it has no idea what they are doing. 

On 5/25/2023 at 6:09 AM, Domo Arigato said:

The thing that blows my mind......the number of people in here that are aware of this thread and still continue to submit if their livelihood doesn't depend on it.

I've got some very high grade books I bought raw years ago that I would very much like to have CGC graded for my personal collection.

But with the current level of service over the last few years, I'd rather drink battery acid and then urinate on an electric fence before sending them in for grading.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:09 AM, Domo Arigato said:

The thing that blows my mind......the number of people in here that are aware of this thread and still continue to submit if their livelihood doesn't depend on it.

I've got some very high grade books I bought raw years ago that I would very much like to have CGC graded for my personal collection.

But with the current level of service over the last few years, I'd rather drink battery acid and then urinate on an electric fence before sending them in for grading.

Maybe the inspection consists of two things.

Is there a case and is there a book inside of it? If yes, PASS!

On 5/25/2023 at 3:09 AM, Domo Arigato said:

You're acting as if everything CGC mails to the customer has a problem.

A lot of live-hoods do depend on CGC, where have you been?

signed, your faithful CGC cheer leader

Terrell Owens American Football GIF - Terrell Owens American ...

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 5/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, CAHokie said:

Maybe the inspection consists of two things.

Is there a case and is there a book inside of it? If yes, PASS!

Or just maybe they are humans to and make mistakes.  CGC workers are not robots even though you want them to be.

Maybe when AI takes over and eliminates more jobs you will submit your couple books per year again with confidence? :wavingwhiteflag:

Signed, your faithful CGC Cheerleader,

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 5/25/2023 at 12:17 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

You acting as if everything CGC mails to the customer has a problem.

A lot of live-hoods do depend on CGC, where have you been?

signed, your faithful CGC cheer leader

Can’t wait til they fumble your entire next order :baiting: