• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2023 at 10:57 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

img_1_1684594548798.jpg.52f0ec0ebf79459739d561535d573961.jpg

That is exactly what I was mentioning several pages ago. Perfectly good books ruined after they leave the graders hands. I had a signed Campbell Black Cat #2 'Le Chat' come back with a color-breaking crease, a 9.9 DC cardstock cover with a 3/4" crease, etc.... Someone in the casing Dept is very careless

Edited by Robert_L

On 5/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, Robert_L said:

That is exactly what I was mentioning several pages ago. Perfectly good books ruined after they leave the graders hands. I had a signed Campbell Black Cat #2 'Le Chat' come back with a color-breaking crease, a 9.9 DC cardstock cover with a 3/4" crease, etc.... Someone in the casing Dept is very careless

It seems like after the book has been graded all careful handling goes out the window. 

On 5/23/2023 at 7:37 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

Andddd another one.  No art notes.  No key notes.  Back to the frying pan and pray for no damage 🤷🏼

PXL_20230520_153913676.jpg

...and a 4-digit year! :whatthe:

You'd think think all the static text on the label was already in the system and should print out fine every time (barring ink running out)...the only thing that varies is the cert # and grade.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:03 PM, IcedDog said:

...and a 4-digit year! :whatthe:

You'd think think all the static text on the label was already in the system and should print out fine every time (barring ink running out)...the only thing that varies is the cert # and grade.

Hahaha...didn't even notice that.  Well, great, my note didn't point that out so guess it'll come back with bonus numbers again.  

Right?  I thought the same thing...I had another one just like this last order, but was missing half the notes instead of all.  Like why would it not be fixed text, then just inserting the grade and cert?  I've had a handful of mislabels last few months...they must literally hand enter each one or something.  

And then on the flipside...how hard would it be in QC.  Give them a tablet, load the pic of what the book should look like with the correct label, compare, accept or reject.  

I have a feeling it's less the day to day workers along the line and more so a process/protocol issue.

Just got this in the mail today after waiting eagerly for a couple of months, and…I can only really say I’m wildly disappointed. I’ve had great experiences with subbing to CGC so far, but this was the first time I sent in a book for a signing.

Not only is there a piece of loose plastic in the front and a huge (inch long) piece in the back, but they did not use the window bag I specifically made for this signing. I know this because the signatures were not in the area I specified (it was smaller than the area CGC uses for their own bags but was definitely not tiny by any means)—and because I politely requested silver marker for mine on the window bag painters tape. If it was the color alone I wouldn’t be as upset because I know the artists don’t have to abide by that, but the placement means they didn’t use my bag. And I made absolute sure my window bag was done correctly, including outlining the window in tape, providing an additional bag/board for post-signing, and putting the signing card in the window bag (I checked multiple forums to make sure I was doing it right).

The color and placement isn’t that big of an issue by itself, but that combined with the multiple pieces of plastic in the slab made this a pretty terrible experience. I will contact them tomorrow, but I wanted to put this out here and express my disappointment in a service I paid $200 for expecting a certain degree of quality and professionalism. (*Oh, also newton rings directly over the signatures 🤦🏻‍♂️)

IMG_5516.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

IMG_5518.jpeg

IMG_5519.jpeg

On 5/23/2023 at 11:25 PM, Nsschenks said:

Just got this in the mail today after waiting eagerly for a couple of months, and…I can only really say I’m wildly disappointed. I’ve had great experiences with subbing to CGC so far, but this was the first time I sent in a book for a signing.

Not only is there a piece of loose plastic in the front and a huge (inch long) piece in the back, but they did not use the window bag I specifically made for this signing. I know this because the signatures were not in the area I specified (it was smaller than the area CGC uses for their own bags but was definitely not tiny by any means)—and because I politely requested silver marker for mine on the window bag painters tape. If it was the color alone I wouldn’t be as upset because I know the artists don’t have to abide by that, but the placement means they didn’t use my bag. And I made absolute sure my window bag was done correctly, including outlining the window in tape, providing an additional bag/board for post-signing, and putting the signing card in the window bag (I checked multiple forums to make sure I was doing it right).

The color and placement isn’t that big of an issue by itself, but that combined with the multiple pieces of plastic in the slab made this a pretty terrible experience. I will contact them tomorrow, but I wanted to put this out here and express my disappointment in a service I paid $200 for expecting a certain degree of quality and professionalism. (*Oh, also newton rings directly over the signatures 🤦🏻‍♂️)

IMG_5516.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

IMG_5518.jpeg

IMG_5519.jpeg

That is appalling.  

Ebay purchase just arrived.  Looked it up.  was from 2022, I believe it said December.  I sent in somethin with a corner like this and it didn't come back a 98.  I'm afraid if I get it signed, scratch that, I'm positive if I get this signed it wouldn't get a 98.  How does something with a corner like this get pass QC? And notice the 2 little white spots on the top edge.  I mean really!

Now check out the corner on  catwoman 1.  And this one got a 9.6.  There's no comparison. I'd like to pick my grader please

20230524_004323.jpg

20230523_232951.jpg

20230523_232941.jpg

20230523_233003.jpg

20230603_110509.jpg

20230603_110526.jpg

20230603_110543.jpg

Edited by juniorMC

On 5/24/2023 at 12:44 AM, StillOnly25Cents said:

if it’s any consolation, the sigs (color and placement) actually present pretty well

newton rings, shards, scuffing of the case …. well that’s just all in a day’s work at CGC

Yeah, I’m not as upset about that as I am everything else—if it had been just that, I’d deal. But that on top of all the other stuff…I mean dang did they even try?

On 5/23/2023 at 11:24 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

Hahaha...didn't even notice that.  Well, great, my note didn't point that out so guess it'll come back with bonus numbers again.  

Right?  I thought the same thing...I had another one just like this last order, but was missing half the notes instead of all.  Like why would it not be fixed text, then just inserting the grade and cert?  I've had a handful of mislabels last few months...they must literally hand enter each one or something.  

And then on the flipside...how hard would it be in QC.  Give them a tablet, load the pic of what the book should look like with the correct label, compare, accept or reject.  

I have a feeling it's less the day to day workers along the line and more so a process/protocol issue.

Actually I'd bet the 4-digit year is the problem.  With it entered this way, the system probably recognizes this as a different comic from Wolverine #2 (12/88) and broke the auto-fill that should've come up.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:22 AM, wardevil0 said:

Actually I'd bet the 4-digit year is the problem.  With it entered this way, the system probably recognizes this as a different comic from Wolverine #2 (12/88) and broke the auto-fill that should've come up.

My thoughts too. Sounds like a remnant from an old style label or something.

On 5/24/2023 at 5:22 AM, wardevil0 said:

Ah!  That makes sense, good point