• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,141 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2023 at 6:35 PM, CGC Mike said:

He is no longer with the company.  We do have a guy who's position is Director of Operational Excellence.  I will be asking him to walk around with me, and we will discuss current procedure on things and I am sure I will have several suggestions for him.  

Here are three other threads with QC issues that you might want to read / raise Mike:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/440951-newton-rings/?do=findComment&comment=12777178

Quote: "I called CGC Customer Support and spoke with Chris who said that CGC changed their policy earlier this month and is no longer accepting "Mechanical Error/Returns" for NR!"

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/521380-whats-wrong-with-these-3-pictures/

Quote: "This is not the first time CGC has dropped the ball. This is the worst. I just dont get it. For a company who claims to be the best at what they do and is the golden standard with collectors lets something like this go out the door. 3 books not 2 not 1 but 3. I just dont get it. And when you call them out on their mistakes you get "yes we will correct it just mail it back to us" They dont tell you it will take 2 to 3 months before you get it back."

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/521029-mechanical-errors/?do=findComment&comment=12784094

Quote: "So that's it for me. I have not the time, money or desire to contribute anything more to a company that just provides false assurances and continues to lower their standards while advertising excellence. It is clear the extent of the new leadership's abilities over the past year was to implement a canned customer feedback system that I am sure is being inundated with so much anger that it nullifies any ability to take action on it's information. Overworked CS reps in a thankless job scrambling to compensate for other departments so all they can do is hold firm and offer token gestures of compensation that don't even materialize (still waiting on my $100 credit after charging my card twice). That would be plenty but receiving a book back with one of the most impactful environmental factors for a collectible's condition introduced to it from the team trying to fix their own problem for the fourth time? Name a business that operates with as much disregard for its customers, its product and the planet."

On 4/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, CGC Mike said:

He is no longer with the company.  We do have a guy who's position is Director of Operational Excellence.  I will be asking him to walk around with me, and we will discuss current procedure on things and I am sure I will have several suggestions for him.  

:tonofbricks:

On 4/27/2023 at 5:21 PM, LudaToke said:

I just got 11 books back from reholder service and all 11 weren't fixed.  On top of that, They took out the Todd McFarlane and Spawn custom labels I had and replaced them with an odd Spider-Man and Spawn pairing.  The reholder and QC process is actually introducing new errors while completely ignoring the original.  The clock is ticking and I have 2 weeks to solve this problem which is crazy because the books are now worse off than when I started.  I have little faith that CGC can actually fix all 11 books in one single submission and I suspect I will be at this for another 2-3 rounds of resubmission/reholder.  Somebody has to pay for all of this rework.  I guess that explains the price increase?

original_61c2cd8e-149a-4dad-b064-9c9b052a4ccd_PXL_20230427_204829926.jpg

PXL_20230427_204821300.jpg

PXL_20230427_204824836.jpg

I just heard back from CGC customer service and they won't be able to fix the labels and add the custom Todd McFarlane labels back in because they were only for a limited time. :facepalm: The worst part is that I still need to send the 11 books back for the original re-holder process and 3 of those still have the Todd McFarlane labels in place.  Do I risk it and send them back and cross my fingers they don't come back with X-Men labels?  This is a process of diminishing returns at this point.  Ridiculous.

• Administrator
On 4/30/2023 at 9:21 PM, Robert_L said:
On 4/29/2023 at 8:02 PM, CGC Mike said:

I sent a note to the team about this.  

Thank you Mike!

I am going to send you a PM with instructions on how to send this back to us.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, sd2416 said:

Sent some off for a friend.  
7 books.  6 mislableled. 

Photo Apr 27 2023, 6 53 19 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 27 2023, 6 53 29 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 27 2023, 6 53 39 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 27 2023, 6 53 46 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 27 2023, 6 54 01 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 27 2023, 6 58 53 PM.jpg

If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious.

At this point we can no longer chalk these types of errors up to "not familiar with comics"; these are "not familiar with reading" or "not familiar with understanding QC".

Totally unacceptable.  :facepalm:  No one will ever be able to convince me that any of these encapsulated mags were examined for longer than a fraction of one second.  Although I'm not generally a believer in publicly shaming folks by name, I think it's high time our postings of these gross failures be accompanied by an image of the QC inspector's stamp on the associated invoice.  For the record, I was (and am still) 100% satisfied with the results of the "example" submission shown below.  (thumbsu

Invoice-1.thumb.jpg.709a285deec5b0d303f5f5401528fa2b.jpg  Invoice-2.thumb.jpg.b78b19d843492ee26eb1732d1cadcdfc.jpg

On 5/1/2023 at 2:32 PM, manetteska said:

At this point we can no longer chalk these types of errors up to "not familiar with comics"; these are "not familiar with reading" or "not familiar with understanding QC".

Agreed.  Yet another example. Two rear covers to the Batman 134 Lau Foil Edition.  One is the 1:50 Retailer Incentive.  The other is the exclusive Artgerm Collectibles version.  But both are labeled "Lau Foil Edition"   ??????    You can see them up for auction on eBay.

I also think these were examined for no longer than a fraction of one second @zzutak

:facepalm:

Batman 134 Lau Foil Edition Rear Cover.jpg

Batman 134 NOT Lau Foil Edition Rear Cover.jpg

Edited by workingdog
Added text

On 5/1/2023 at 7:52 AM, LudaToke said:

I just heard back from CGC customer service and they won't be able to fix the labels and add the custom Todd McFarlane labels back in because they were only for a limited time. :facepalm:

That is utterly terrible service. 

:facepalm:

On 5/1/2023 at 12:32 PM, manetteska said:

Or... they just don't care

200w.gif.cc195f93127dc01606be4b6f56155eda.gif

Lol!

Not sure which is funnier.

Re: the "big news" QC guy they bragged about hiring:

"He is no longer with the company"

Or the word "excellence" used anywhere near CGC.

"Director of Operational Excellence"

ffs...

On 5/1/2023 at 10:52 AM, LudaToke said:

I just heard back from CGC customer service and they won't be able to fix the labels and add the custom Todd McFarlane labels back in because they were only for a limited time. :facepalm: The worst part is that I still need to send the 11 books back for the original re-holder process and 3 of those still have the Todd McFarlane labels in place.  Do I risk it and send them back and cross my fingers they don't come back with X-Men labels?  This is a process of diminishing returns at this point.  Ridiculous.

Completely unacceptable. How can a company get away with this BS?

@CGC Mike come on tell me this makes any lick of sense.  CGC screws up and now the customer can't get what they paid for cause CGC screwed up???

• Administrator
On 5/1/2023 at 8:24 PM, Iceman399 said:

@CGC Mike come on tell me this makes any lick of sense.  CGC screws up and now the customer can't get what they paid for cause CGC screwed up???

I am guessing we do not have any more of the scroll labels.  I will check with my boss and find out for sure.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:28 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 5/1/2023 at 8:24 PM, Iceman399 said:

I am guessing we do not have any more of the scroll labels.  I will check with my boss and find out for sure.

Good thing they are just paper and more can be printed.  @LudaToke deserves what he paid for, if not I sure CGC is offering him a BOAT ton of credit to make up for the mistakes (and I don't mean just the $10 he paid per label).

• Administrator

How many books need the Todd McFarlane Scroll labels?

Edit:  Please give me all of the past info regarding these books.  When you say original reholder, were these for a mechanical error reason?  If so, let me know all of the info as to why a ME.  Also include the number of books you wish to send in.  Do some require different custom labels?

Just opened a box with my ASM 51 that was sent back because of Mechanical Error (debris)

Returned in worse condition with large scuffs on back and more debris on front. Had to call customer service because "Damage in Transit" was grayed out despite delivery date being less than 14 days. Book going back today for another month of waiting. :frustrated:

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg