• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2023 at 1:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

We reached out to this person to see if we could get the book returned to us, so we could fix the label.

Since you're aware that the book is out there with an incorrect label, would CGC consider not only removing the pedigree info from the database (which you've done), but also including some sort of notation that the label is wrong, so it's clear to someone looking it up what the situation is (since CGC can't force the return of the book)?

On 10/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Screenshot_20231016-173203.thumb.png.c86327fbca73551ad1bc4790730d74e5.png

What the, cert check, someone scanned this at CGC, said it was okay??????????? ???

Hopefully this employee gets a nifty Christmas Bonus for excellent attention to detail.

image.thumb.png.2c1293688a9341ca1bfc323b1fa4784c.png

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 11/15/2023 at 8:14 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

@Cat

Last 6 months of books.  So about 615-ish books.

Zero newton tings and zero cracked cases.

Hide contents

Cat, If this didnt make you laugh I give up hahahaha

image.png.42ce3aad764d08bf41c36998832d356e.png

That got me. That one got me good. 

lnxfk8gxyytb1.jpeg.a97b32fac9d4f307cf040c2d7f563d16.jpeg

On 11/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I sent in a batch of 25 books in May. When I got them back, I had to send 10 back for ME. All of them had cracks in one side of the case, in the same spot, suggesting there was some sort of mechanical issue with their encapsulator that was perhaps applying too much pressure? All of these except one was an oversized book, with the thicker case. 40% failure rate on this submission.

When I got back the ME submission, 8 of those 10 had various issues, including different cracks, or debris encapsulated with the book. 80% failure rate on those books.

When I got back the second ME submission, 4 of the 8 had some severe scuffing on the case, and another was cracked. I usually let a little scuffing go, but these were 9.8 books, and the scuffing made it look like the book was damaged or dirty. 62.5% failure rate on those.

Just got back those 5. 3 of the 5 have plastic shards inside. One of those shard is more than an inch long. Not sure how you miss those. So those will be going back. 60% failure rate.

If the trend holds. I'll need to send 2 of the 3 books back again, and then 1 of those 2 the next time. Then I guess it's a coin flip whether that one has no issues.

@GeeksAreMyPeeps, my experience is similar to yours.  My 1st submission to CGC was in Mar 2021, and for the 1st year or so, the quality of the slabs was excellent.  Since the summer of 2022, there have been issues.  Lots of scuffing, newtons for a while.  I've attached my recent submissions.  Note they are all MEs, except for 1 reholder.  I have also been on a cycle of sending submitted slabs back to get problems fixed.  Hopefully the cycle ends soon.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c149a171180b998b2c81897e1e5f103.jpeg

On 11/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, Still Only 20¢ said:

@GeeksAreMyPeeps, my experience is similar to yours.  My 1st submission to CGC was in Mar 2021, and for the 1st year or so, the quality of the slabs was excellent.  Since the summer of 2022, there have been issues.  Lots of scuffing, newtons for a while.  I've attached my recent submissions.  Note they are all MEs, except for 1 reholder.  I have also been on a cycle of sending submitted slabs back to get problems fixed.  Hopefully the cycle ends soon.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c149a171180b998b2c81897e1e5f103.jpeg

Dang, that's a lot of MEs. Lots of double digits. CGC should be ashamed.

I wonder if they are proud of their work?

On 11/16/2023 at 4:26 PM, Gaard said:

@Gaard, if my math is any good, I believe that @GeeksAreMyPeeps has submitted 3 of his books 5 times in an attempt to get a good quality encapsulation.  I feel very confident that the last 7 books shipped back to me were submitted more than 5 times.  And 2 of them are on there way back...  :ohnoez:

On 11/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, Gaard said:

WOW! that is a lot of mechanical errors. It seems like lately I've had at least 1-2 books per submissions that has had a mechanical error, but this is quite insane for the amount there,

On 11/24/2023 at 8:28 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
  1. IMG_0094.thumb.jpeg.29d0d00b16c5e8c1c7471fb5f13311c2.jpeg

There is no excuse for krap like this. WTF. Who in the hell is showing these employees the ropes??  CGC needs to hire me part time, just to walk through the facility and find out who is responsible for this nonsense. Then a swift boot out the door. I could teach a 4th grade class to pack better than this. This pic should be archived in a hall of shame.

Edit: HMMM, after reading wardevil10's post, I may have jumped on the bashing bandwagon to quick. This does look kind of staged. They should at least flip the box flap and show the shipping label.

Edited by DR.X

On 11/24/2023 at 9:28 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
  1. IMG_0094.thumb.jpeg.29d0d00b16c5e8c1c7471fb5f13311c2.jpeg

None of that looks right. I've never gotten a box that shape from CGC, I've never gotten the shredded cardboard packing from CGC, and I've never gotten clear cellophane packing tape.  I just opened a box of 25 two nights ago and it was the usual packing, with inch-thick cushions around all sides in a box shaped to fit slabs standing upright.  I call shenanigans on the original poster... maybe they used an intermediary presser or comic shop to submit for them?  Maybe the box got destroyed by FedEx and they re-packed it?  Maybe they dropped some slabs and are trying to scam some free reholders?  Maybe it's all faked for social media clout.  I know if I had unpacked damaged slabs I'd be showing off the cracks.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:47 AM, wardevil0 said:

None of that looks right. I've never gotten a box that shape from CGC, I've never gotten the shredded cardboard packing from CGC, and I've never gotten clear cellophane packing tape.  I just opened a box of 25 two nights ago and it was the usual packing, with inch-thick cushions around all sides in a box shaped to fit slabs standing upright.  I call shenanigans on the original poster... maybe they used an intermediary presser or comic shop to submit for them?  Maybe the box got destroyed by FedEx and they re-packed it?  Maybe they dropped some slabs and are trying to scam some free reholders?  Maybe it's all faked for social media clout.  I know if I had unpacked damaged slabs I'd be showing off the cracks.

HMMM, after reading wardevil10's post, I may have jumped on the bashing bandwagon to quick. This does look kind of staged. They should at least flip the box flap and show the shipping label.

On 11/28/2023 at 10:34 AM, wardevil0 said:

I saw this guy follow-up on the Facebook page: it was repacked by FedEx.

Inked403099463_24243691041945660_3665986791265979969_n_LI.jpg

it's happened to me before with fedex and it was a hassle to get them to pay for the damages

thanks for the update