• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I sent in a batch of 25 books in May. When I got them back, I had to send 10 back for ME. All of them had cracks in one side of the case, in the same spot, suggesting there was some sort of mechanical issue with their encapsulator that was perhaps applying too much pressure? All of these except one was an oversized book, with the thicker case. 40% failure rate on this submission.

When I got back the ME submission, 8 of those 10 had various issues, including different cracks, or debris encapsulated with the book. 80% failure rate on those books.

When I got back the second ME submission, 4 of the 8 had some severe scuffing on the case, and another was cracked. I usually let a little scuffing go, but these were 9.8 books, and the scuffing made it look like the book was damaged or dirty. 62.5% failure rate on those.

Just got back those 5. 3 of the 5 have plastic shards inside. One of those shard is more than an inch long. Not sure how you miss those. So those will be going back. 60% failure rate.

If the trend holds. I'll need to send 2 of the 3 books back again, and then 1 of those 2 the next time. Then I guess it's a coin flip whether that one has no issues.

FWIW, I got the three books back, and no need to send any back again. So we capped at 26MEs for the 25 books.

to that yellow->blue end @BlowUpTheMoon, my SS book just came back from a press and regrade with a blue label... :facepalm: 

I mean c'mon - it even says 'signed by' right on the label! Nobody caught that in QC @CGC Mike ? Did anybody look at this book before it went out? 

image.thumb.jpeg.8f977a50d776f8cba117032e34f770a4.jpeg

back it goes... 

(and maybe it'll magically come back with the 9.8 grade it deserves - virtually no visible issues, it's been pressed by CGC and still has 'light creasing to cover' :frown:)

(tbf, this book, the other one it shipped with, and the 3 I received yesterday were free from physical mechanical errors - no debris, scuffs or scratches, so, thx for that!)

On 1/11/2024 at 2:04 PM, dbcn said:

I mean c'mon - it even says 'signed by' right on the label! Nobody caught that in QC @CGC Mike ? Did anybody look at this book before it went out? 

CGC would never admit it, but I think most of us now assume QC is on some kind of spot checking and not on every book. No way else to explain some of the slabs that get shipped out. 

On 1/11/2024 at 3:49 PM, wombat said:

CGC would never admit it, but I think most of us now assume QC is on some kind of spot checking and not on every book. No way else to explain some of the slabs that get shipped out. 

totally @wombat - if CGC is just spot checking due to being overwhelmed and not having the ability to scale, it'd probably be cheaper for them to just skip the QC step entirely - they'd get an increased percentage of MEs, but their turn around time would decrease by a huge amount. I have books that have been in G/QC for over a month.

to that yellow->blue end @BlowUpTheMoon, my SS book just came back from a press and regrade with a blue label... :facepalm: 

image.thumb.jpeg.8f977a50d776f8cba117032e34f770a4.jpeg

back it goes... 

(and maybe it'll magically come back with the 9.8 grade it deserves - virtually no visible issues, it's been pressed by CGC and still has 'light creasing to cover' :frown:)

(tbf, this book, the other one it shipped with, and the 3 I received yesterday were free from physical mechanical errors - no debris, scuffs or scratches, so, thx for that!)

So bad that even Spidey wasn't impressed. 

image.png.36ece465ad9b4dfcb1cc2eba57bc1922.png

• Administrator

I am sorry this has happened to you. When you send it back as a ME,  please send me the tracking number, packing slip number and a copy of your entire post above.   Write on the packing slip that it needs to be pressed again seems it has light creasing, regraded and placed in a yellow label holder.  I will try to get someone to double check on this through the process.