• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2023 at 1:13 PM, Iceman399 said:

As Joey said it's been literally years now.  You are probably the sole reason holding things together as you have actually got stuff done when others have dropped the ball...or just not even bothered to pick up the ball.

We paid for faster turn around times on these books as we have several shows coming up and wanted to have the books for these shows (one of which is our second biggest show of the year), now I'm either unable to sell them and send them back to spend MONTHS (even though my grading time was only a couple weeks via standard/fast track) or I have to point out the defects to any potential buyer which if I was the buyer would tell me to either pound sand or take a discount.  Seems like I'm losing on both ends.  I think CGC needs to start refunding grading fees on these instances, and I will be asking that customer service refund some of the fees.  Maybe at that point when even more money is flushed down the drain they'll start to learn and change directions.

I had two books with debris. Being In Canada it became a real Pita trying to get CGC to cover the ME return.  So I sold  one at a significant discount pointing out that it needed to be reholdered.  The other now just sits in a box & annoys me.   I would crack it out, but it’s the single highest graded copy.:tonofbricks:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 2/18/2023 at 11:18 AM, Gaard said:

So, either CGC has been looking to prevent these shards for at least 2+ years or they simply said "screw it, we choose not to fix this".

Just like the Newton Ring problem. Dead silence.

On 2/18/2023 at 12:18 PM, Gaard said:

This screenshot (of this thread) is from January, 2021.

shard.thumb.jpg.0a2ab8312bfe07fe0d3b5b76ceba001f.jpg

So, either CGC has been looking to prevent these shards for at least 2+ years or they simply said "screw it, we choose not to fix this".

The first possibility shows how inept this company is. The second possibility shows how they are not only without integrity, but it also shows how they lie to it's customers (they've repeatedly said how they are trying to fix this issue).

From the shown post by TTT, " I decided to keep it as is in order to not have to send it in for reholder...". IMO, this is exactly what CGC was/is hoping people decide to do.

In that instance it is a relatively valuable comic book that is for my personal collection and I did not wish to take the chance of having it damaged during reholder or during shipment back to me; I can live with the shard. However, I have sent back many other ones for ME service that I may one day sell.

On 2/23/2023 at 4:41 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Anyone else saw this absolute banger of a QC issue (found on the CGC Facebook group):

1849269791_ScreenShot2023-02-23at4_40_53PM.thumb.png.b230e92e9bc4970dd1d86d69e29910ea.png

Somebody had an extra book encapsulated inside their own book!

332858822_976131259929536_9010498072615086817_n.thumb.jpg.55cd350fa37d3f51e25534f4d7d1c221.jpg

Is it an extra book, or has some of the interior wraps separated from the staples?

I’m not exactly sure what I’m seeing here....

On 2/23/2023 at 9:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

So there should be eight pages on either side of the center fold, so each book has 16 pages.  Two books = 32 pages.  

I'm not sure if I see 32 pages here. 

1.jpg.7eb7e5e0c92cd09ace262825231e0277.jpg

yeah you are right, looking at it closely I checked my copy...the page that is peaking out from below the cover matches an interior page, so it seems the entire middle of the book has been popped - making it a hellevah 9.8 :D

On 2/23/2023 at 8:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

So there should be eight pages on either side of the center fold, so each book has 16 pages.  Two books = 32 pages.  

I'm not sure if I see 32 pages here. 

1.jpg.7eb7e5e0c92cd09ace262825231e0277.jpg

I blew this pic up and cropped it. First thing is that book is only a few years old. Would have to had something serious happen during shipping or at CGC to separate the interior from the rest of the book. I was also thinking if it did separate, why isn't the spine on the shifted section, the same shape as the outer section of the exterior? Something looks seriously wrong here IMHO.

If there was another book in there, wouldn't part of it be sticking out of the opening edge? But that would also be true if some of the centre wraps had shifted too. I'm confused now. ???

On 2/24/2023 at 7:42 AM, AJD said:

If there was another book in there, wouldn't part of it be sticking out of the opening edge? But that would also be true if some of the centre wraps had shifted too. I'm confused now. ???

You can see the part in another photo (that shows the cover), however the original poster (and I) was mistaken; it's not another book, but rather the interior wraps that seem to have been detached (the page peeking out matches the art of one of the interior pages).

On 2/14/2023 at 11:21 AM, CGC Mike said:

I spoke with a grader, and there are no internal notes for this book.  He requested additional pics, and we might be able to point something out to you.  If you could send me some more pics, that would be great.

Mike

Mike

thanks as always for going the extra mile … others at CGC can learn a thing or two from your efforts

the fact the graders deemed my submission an 8.0, recorded no notes, and it came back to me with a cover misalignment tells me enough I need to know that CGC/CCS has little respect for their customers, the collectibles they submit,  and their company’s reputation