• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2023 at 3:07 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wait.  Is the well loose in the slab causing it to clank around,  or is the book loose within the inner well allowing it to smack up against the edges more easily?

My last submission was returned like this.  In my case, the inner well is loose and clanking around.  The book itself appears secure inside the inner well and I plan on re-submitting the book soon as soon as a celeb offers the next signing opportunity so I couldn't be bothered to risk sending it back to CGC to fix it at this time.

• Administrator
On 3/6/2023 at 12:05 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 3/6/2023 at 10:09 AM, zzutak said:

Here's another type of Quality Control issue that has nothing to do with holder defects or Encapsulation Room gaffs, but which definitely affects the accuracy of the CGC certification label. @CGC Mike, feel free to bring this up at your next meeting with the Powers-that-Be.  :foryou:

I will pass of of the info you have provided along to upper management.  Thanks a bunch for providing it.

Here's a note from the team:

We just changed the Uncanny Tales from Marvel to Atlas. This mistake was made a very long time ago, and should be a one-off. But if you see anything else like this, please let us know and we’ll fix.

The Katy Keene is fine. Two series published by the same publisher, and the dates are listed to delineate between them. I believe they are also listed chronologically so they are not mixed together.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:12 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Play stupid games win stupid prizes 

Yeah. What would have been interesting if some reason the owner would have send the slab to CGC to be reslabbed for custom label or if in the near future CGC releases a new stronger slab for battling the counterfeit slabs.

Edited by godzilla43

On 3/7/2023 at 12:43 PM, godzilla43 said:

Yeah. What would have been interesting if some reason the owner would have send the slab to CGC to be reslabbed for custom label or if in the near future CGC releases a new stronger slab for battling the counterfeit slabs.

It’s a colossal screwup on CGC’s part

Makes one wonder what else they’ve missed.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:24 AM, CGC Mike said:

Here's a note from the team:

We just changed the Uncanny Tales from Marvel to Atlas. This mistake was made a very long time ago, and should be a one-off. But if you see anything else like this, please let us know and we’ll fix.

The Katy Keene is fine. Two series published by the same publisher, and the dates are listed to delineate between them. I believe they are also listed chronologically so they are not mixed together.

I used to have a longer list of these problems. It does appear that there's been an effort to clean up census duplication; as of 2021, there were duplicate entries for Amazing Spider-Man #299 and Flaming Carrot #28 with different date formats.

Amazing Spider-Man #234 has separate entries for "Canadian Edition" (the original terminology) and "Canadian Price Variant" (current practice). I happen to know that the first CPV copy of this book was slabbed in October 2021, so the other CPV-sorted copies are more recent. But that orphans the 4 earlier labels and duplicates the book entries. Because this is probably the case for a lot of books (anything with a CPV slabbed before... whenever they started being called CPVs), this may not be an easily corrected problem.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, Gaard said:

We agree. But does CGC agree? I think we both know the answer.

They have to agree they are responsible.  It's clear they screwed up the grading, once again.

But the question is are they liable?

No.  They have this covered in the terms.