• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 7:53 PM, William-James88 said:

Anyone else think this is a QC error with CGC inverting the inner and outer cover notation on the label? Not only would it explain why the grade doesn't represent what we see on the cover but it would make way more sense for the inner cover to have the better grade.

MM.thumb.jpg.d8716d9ccb56c4bf796b8e9d49c7e05f.jpg

Both grades are wrong :insane:

910EFB6E-4761-4994-BAFC-6BD0427990B9.jpeg.880deae1f5fd7937cabbb2d0e400c0f2.jpeg

Just got this book back from CGC. I was hoping for a 9.8 to sell for some quick $, I sadly got a 9.6. But regardless the book as is now is certainly not a 9.6 or anywhere close. I don't know how they managed to do this but the book itself got pulled upward from the cover about a millimeter or 2. Again, the book is certainly not a 9.6, and I can't imagine how lose the cover is from the staples now.

I will be contacting CGC shortly. Even after a lot of their QC issues, I've still been getting minor books graded by CGC to sell, but stuff like this is the exact reason why I've never sent any high dollar or personal books. Thank goodness this book doesn't amount to much, because it is ruined.

20220113_153700.jpg

20220113_153714.jpg

On 1/13/2022 at 1:48 PM, HuddyBee said:

Just got this book back from CGC. I was hoping for a 9.8 to sell for some quick $, I sadly got a 9.6. But regardless the book as is now is certainly not a 9.6 or anywhere close. I don't know how they managed to do this but the book itself got pulled upward from the cover about a millimeter or 2. Again, the book is certainly not a 9.6, and I can't imagine how lose the cover is from the staples now.

I will be contacting CGC shortly. Even after a lot of their QC issues, I've still been getting minor books graded by CGC to sell, but stuff like this is the exact reason why I've never sent any high dollar or personal books. Thank goodness this book doesn't amount to much, because it is ruined.

20220113_153700.jpg

20220113_153714.jpg

Undoubtedly SCS. 

On 1/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Well, it looks like receiving got it correct - the pic is from my tracking page. If I remember correctly, all the books had at least 1 book in the census, but some were very tough to locate.  I guess the odds are in my favor, unless things can change in the middle of the process.

Things can change during the grading and encapsulation process, but if the books start out correctly there's a much better chance of them ending up correctly...  

On 1/14/2022 at 11:42 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Anyone that works in system design would tell you that this is a management problem.  It's management's job to modify and/or create systems to address these issues and they're clearly not able or willing to do so.  It may sound harsh but it's true.  Everyday they don't publicly address this and successfully solve the problem, they're damaging the brand.  2c

To be honest, label mistakes at CGC have been happening as long as I can remember. The difference I see these days is that since the volume of submissions has dramatically increased the amount of mistakes seems to have increased as well.

I'm sure the QC folks have been talked to about this, but if they don't catch it the book is almost certainly going out the door that way...  :cry:

On 1/12/2022 at 7:53 PM, William-James88 said:

Anyone else think this is a QC error with CGC inverting the inner and outer cover notation on the label? Not only would it explain why the grade doesn't represent what we see on the cover but it would make way more sense for the inner cover to have the better grade.

MM.thumb.jpg.d8716d9ccb56c4bf796b8e9d49c7e05f.jpg

If that's what happened, that's a tougher one for QC to catch because you're asking them to question the grade and the label note. But you're right about the inner cover usually being nicer than the outer cover and it does fall on the QC folks to compare the book to the grade on the label... 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:17 PM, The Lions Den said:

If that's what happened, that's a tougher one for QC to catch because you're asking them to question the grade and the label note. But you're right about the inner cover usually being nicer than the outer cover and it does fall on the QC folks to compare the book to the grade on the label... 

I'm just saying they could have double checked with the grading team simply on the notion that it's very rare for the inner cover is worse (they don't need to know what grades look like). I get that it requires more effort than other QC errors, but I would assume that CGC would have paid more attention to get everything right for the Promise Collection. 

Double Covers are rare enough, it wouldn't add much time to the overal process to add that special extra step for double covers.

Also, just making sure, when it comes to double covers, the highest grade between the two is the one found on the label, regardless of which cover has that grade, correct?

Edited by William-James88

On 1/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, William-James88 said:

I'm just saying they could have double checked with the grading team simply on the notion that it's very rare for the inner cover is worse (they don't need to know what grades look like). I get that it requires more effort than other QC errors, but I would assume that CGC would have paid more attention to get everything right for the Promise Collection. 

Double Covers are rare enough, it wouldn't add much time to the overal process to add that special extra step for double covers.

Also, just making sure, when it comes to double covers, the highest grade between the two is the one found on the label, regardless of which cover has that grade, correct?

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you---they should always check with the grading room if there's any doubt. All I was saying is that this is a tougher thing to catch than some of the other books I've seen (the upside down ASM #6 comes to mind...)   lol

And yes, as long as there isn't some problem with the interior (such as poor page quality) the grade on the label should show the highest grade of any of the covers, regardless of which cover it is...