• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

Ouch... Figured this one belongs here as well. 

On 1/14/2022 at 4:31 PM, Devin Colman said:

Well, good, bad and decent news.

ME-Newton Rings on slab-Free reholder Detective Comics 1000 5/19 D.C. Comics ""2010's"" Variant Cover SIGNED BY GREG CAPULLO, JIM LEE, ALEX SINCLAIR, SCOTT SNYDER & SCOTT WILLIAMS ON 10/4/19

Good-arrived, 1/6/22, shipped 1/17/22

Bad-Got an email it would be deducted to a 9.6 because the back cover stuck, followed by another email "graders took a second look, gonna be a 9.4" ouch

Decent-They're compensating me for it

All in all, I won this book with a $10 raffle ticket, love Batman new 52 so it's staying in the PC. The big question is, would you have just put up with the newton rings?

On 1/14/2022 at 6:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Got the link?  I’d like to hear more about “back cover stuck”

Before the comic was removed from its case and well, we noticed color lift occurring on the back cover of the book, pictures of the effected section are attached.  This happens due to unstable elements in the ink used and seems to only occur on glossy covers.  The color lift was lite enough that the book only suffered a downgrade to a 9.6.

I just showed the graders the book again to have the grade adjusted .  On a second look they leaned heavily toward 9.4 on the grade. 

20220113_093614.jpg

20220113_093603.jpg

On 1/14/2022 at 6:32 PM, Devin Colman said:

Before the comic was removed from its case and well, we noticed color lift occurring on the back cover of the book, pictures of the effected section are attached.  This happens due to unstable elements in the ink used and seems to only occur on glossy covers.  The color lift was lite enough that the book only suffered a downgrade to a 9.6.

I just showed the graders the book again to have the grade adjusted .  On a second look they leaned heavily toward 9.4 on the grade. 

20220113_093614.jpg

20220113_093603.jpg

That’s not good. How many of these “glossy books” have CGC encapsulated?:whatthe:

(Thanks for sharing (thumbsu)

On 1/14/2022 at 12:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How many here are already hesitant to submit books due to fear of CGC damaging their books?  CGC needs to make sure that fear doesn’t spread like wild fire into the mainstream.

I've got an Avengers 1 and 4, and Fantastic Four 4 and 5 that I would love to submit but I'm scared to death.  Between the TAT and then all these errors and books being damaged in the process, I don't really know what to do.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:05 PM, media_junkie said:

I've got an Avengers 1 and 4, and Fantastic Four 4 and 5 that I would love to submit but I'm scared to death.  Between the TAT and then all these errors and books being damaged in the process, I don't really know what to do.

The concern over books being damaged by the very grading company that we’re supposed to trust to preserve them.....is real.

Once upon a time I’d say you were crazy NOT to submit those books, but I’d be extremely hesitant to roll the dice with the CGC means of production right now. 

I guess we’ll soon find out how bulletproof their monopoly is....(shrug)

On 1/10/2022 at 12:28 PM, wombat said:

I'm not buying from any seller that states this. You don't have time to inspect the CGC cases? Then don't sell them. 

Agreed.

But it is unfortunate they pay for a brand new product that is unsellable.

On 1/10/2022 at 5:36 PM, Gaard said:

It really is a shame that debris in your case has become commonplace. It's more of a shame that it's been going on for so long. It seems like, to me anyway, that the longer these QC issues go on, the more certain we can be that CGC just doesn't give a rats ...

Why would they... at that point you just send it back and it sits there another half-year waiting to be fixed.  They already have your money.  They have the room.  That new building purchase (after the first price hike of 2021), was probably just for returns.  

Read the forums and it's easy to see a lot of people don't care what CGC does to them. 

Until they do....CGC doesn't need to improve.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The concern over books being damaged by the very grading company that we’re supposed to trust to preserve them.....is real.

Once upon a time I’d say you were crazy NOT to submit those books, but I’d be extremely hesitant to roll the dice with the CGC means of production right now. 

I guess we’ll soon find out how bulletproof their monopoly is....(shrug)

20 years so far. :peace:

1-5 years from now nothing will change.  CGC will still be #1 and everyone will still be bending over to cash in. 

I am still waiting for someone or a group to open up their own grading company and try to take hold of the market. 

Anyone have an extra $2-3 million they want to try and start this up? 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/19/2022 at 8:12 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

20 years so far. :peace:

1-5 years from now nothing will change.  CGC will still be #1 and everyone will still be bending over to cash in. 

I am still waiting for someone or a group to open up their own grading company and try to take hold of the market. 

Anyone have an extra $2-3 million they want to try and start this up? 

Who wants to open a comic grading company right before the graded comic market crashes?:baiting:

Is there actually quality control at CGC? I 100 percent am seriously thinking they may have quietly removed that step from the process to try to speed up grading on the massive volume of books they are getting in. I imagine there's alot of problems where people just won't go through the hassle of sending the book back. Every single submission I have sent out has had some small problem with some of the books. Misspelled words. Small cracks. Missing notations. It might be cheaper for them to just send back books with errors. It's cheaper to just fix the books that get returned rather than every single one. I can not be convinced that a book that was put in the holder upside down went through any sort of quality control.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have seen books graded as high as a 5.0 with the cover detached.  I only spent a minute looking, and this 4.0 with tape doesn't look anywhere as nice as the single staple, 5.0 Action.  I don't think that label is a quality control issue.  

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F6%2F8%2F252686

@oakman29 good to know.