• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,139 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, rdp collectibles said:

to--skypinkblu...

well stated comments...that is a nice looking sensation comic...there has been prior discussion on green label vs blue....would you rather have your nice looking comic in a higher graded green  or in the  4.0 universal??

Thanks for the kind comments...I have never wanted nor believed in green labels. Just give me the geniune grade. I have no use for a. Could have Should have Would have grade. I still understand what the grade is. It's not like I want to fool anyone, even myself.

On 12/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I'm the same way.  In addition, I also want a grading company to be consistent with what they do.  If I send in a high grade comic book from 2021 with a fully detached cover, am I going to be able to get a blue label 5.0 on it?  We've heard for years about the "golden age bump".....which I think is horse*spoon*.......just give the books the grades they deserve, no matter what era they came from.

Another question I had earlier, but didn't see anybody offer an answer for, is regarding the notations on the label under the books title (like the "cover detached" notation).  Does CGC still put those on the label?  I remember years ago they had decided to stop with at least some notations like that, so people were sending books in for a re-holder (or regrade...I can't remember) so they could get the label notations removed.

I have zero idea, maybe @CGC Mike  could find out for us?

Happy Holidays everyone..

On 12/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, skypinkblu said:

I have zero idea, maybe @CGC Mike  could find out for us?

Happy Holidays everyone..

You caught my post before I deleted it. lol

With all the nonsense in the hobby these days, I don't collect much anyway, so I decided it's probably not worth the time and aggravation any more.

Happy New Year to all. :cheers:

On 12/25/2021 at 9:27 AM, skypinkblu said:

Probably the answer is they could not...because learning to grade takes a long time and all of us make mistakes. Rushing to catch up, learning new skills especially when they are super detailed skills is a difficult task as it is.. However, teaching new or newish people to grade, during a pandemic, when there is such a backlog of books, a new company is involved, moving offices is involved and more and more signature series etc are coming into play would appear to be rather impossible.

I agree, training new inexperienced employees the finer points of grading while there's pressure getting through the backlog of submissions quickly is leading to problems. A workaround might me to allocate the newer graders to the vast amounts of new, modern books submitted as most will likely be in the 9.4-9.8 range, which are much more straightforward to grade, and let the more experienced graders deal with the GA/SA/BA books. Maybe that's already being done. It could be a workflow issue as opposed to a people issue. A lot of these mistakes seem to be a result of rushing with no quality control checks. 

After waiting forever for my Last Ronin book from the last Eastman signing, I received it with a case that was not sealed properly on the left side. It was popping open. CGC responded to my email by asking me for pictures instead of just saying send it back. Its like are they insinuating I am not telling the truth? Needles to say I didn't want to deal with the headache I can see coming so I sold it as is. 

On 12/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, eastbayrudy said:

After waiting forever for my Last Ronin book from the last Eastman signing, I received it with a case that was not sealed properly on the left side. It was popping open. CGC responded to my email by asking me for pictures instead of just saying send it back. Its like are they insinuating I am not telling the truth? Needles to say I didn't want to deal with the headache I can see coming so I sold it as is. 

Of course they need a picture. They weren't trying to insinuate anything. In fact, why wouldn't you just send a picture with your initial email?

On 12/29/2021 at 7:13 AM, I like pie said:

Of course they need a picture. They weren't trying to insinuate anything. In fact, why wouldn't you just send a picture with your initial email?

It was not something that I could show through a pic. You had to pinch it with your fingers to feel the clicking. 

Mixed up labels are certainly a QC issue, how about the encapsulation damaged ones?

After seeing this one back ,I was done submitting high grade raw....Even pressing could not bring this ASM 50 now 9.0 back to a 9.4.

Maybe someday they will change inner well suppliers , or create their own. Just a terrible design......

26766B1A-F8FE-4D49-8B7C-D3CBD7C4E368_1_105_c.jpeg.201ab0a40f0f2ea57a75bec1493e2a1d.jpeg

Edited by UncleBEN