• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

So I have a few questions.  CGC posted this on their Twitter today.

20220128_234513.thumb.jpg.8d1802912908107cbc5c7c8dda765096.jpg

If this is an insert from a comic then why is it not a green label as it is missing the actual book it came in? 

I mean if it is the promotional I could understand as that technically wasn't part of another book, but the fact they even say on the label that the insert and promotional are indistinguishable then why blue label? 

20220128_234900.jpg.50c8f7a3ae077a20e556b91af78b02b1.jpg

(shrug)

On 1/28/2022 at 11:52 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So I have a few questions.  CGC posted this on their Twitter today.

20220128_234513.thumb.jpg.8d1802912908107cbc5c7c8dda765096.jpg

If this is an insert from a comic then why is it not a green label as it is missing the actual book it came in? 

I mean if it is the promotional I could understand as that technically wasn't part of another book, but the fact they even say on the label that the insert and promotional are indistinguishable then why blue label? 

(shrug)

Because it’s CGC… and..  

B3C2F4F4-72A8-420D-9603-7E6E8FC3A87E.jpeg.d2e7acad5530dbd20135d5e6b519dd1f.jpeg
Lets face it… the company we loved and trusted is no more. Whatever generates more hype and makes them more money is what we’ll see from now on. So sad and disappointing!!!!

Edited by Iconic1s

On 1/28/2022 at 11:28 PM, Larryw7 said:

How do two major key comics with false back covers end up in a Pedigree collection?

From not caring about anything except about profit and just plain apathy.  The hobby that they are a "saviour" is now going to be squeezed for every red cent and grades, quality control, and respect for the hobby are ??? .  Watch it happen in real time.

Edited by BEAUMONTS

On 1/28/2022 at 11:44 PM, wombat said:

wait. So they submitted a book to CGC with the wrong back cover and CGC didn't catch it?

On 1/28/2022 at 11:53 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Twice I believe 

Enough with bringing up the rear!  That's their job!  CGC's got our backs!  (:  

Quick question for those of you who have more experience with CGC QC/Encapsulation than me. I have a high grade, fairly uncommon book (Jumbo Comics 69) that I'm thinking about getting graded. Because it has a decent amount of value I would be submitting it Express or Walkthrough. I've had some QC issues myself (damaged books), and a lot of what I see in this thread scares me a decent amount. So my question is: would you expect CGC to be more careful with high dollar books? I would like to get it graded because I may be considering selling down the line and would like to have a firm way to value it. I'm just worried, because it's a book that doesn't come up very often and even the slightest risk of it incurring some damage in the grading process would deter me from getting it slabbed.

Maybe my best course of action would be to just wait out this QC nightmare until CGC can properly handle books? I dunno. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:52 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I'm not familiar with this item and I'm not sure if I'm reading this all correctly.....but here is what I think is going on.

I'm thinking the blurb on the lower right of the label may be a bit confusing, as it's not worded very well.  It's just trying to say this item was distributed as a stand-alone promotional item AND ALSO as an insert in comics, and that they are indistinguishable from each other.  It's not saying which type this particular copy is.

Since CGC is claiming that they can't tell the difference between the stand-alone promotional (which should get a blue label) and the insert .....then they will be giving them all blue labels.  Similar to what they do with pressed books, since they can't tell the difference between books that have been pressed and those that haven't.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 1/29/2022 at 4:40 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I'm not familiar with this item and I'm not sure if I'm reading this all correctly.....but here is what I think is going on.

I'm thinking the blurb on the lower right of the label may be a bit confusing, as it's not worded very well.  It's just trying to say this item was distributed as a stand-alone promotional item AND ALSO as an insert in comics, and that they are indistinguishable from each other.  It's not saying which type this particular copy is.

Since CGC is claiming that they can't tell the difference between the stand-alone promotional (which should get a blue label) and the insert .....then they will be giving them all blue labels.  Similar to what they do with pressed books, since they can't tell the difference between books that have been pressed and those that haven't.

Thank you.  

That was kind of my take away, but to me this is still an issue. In the past when they couldn't distinguish they either sent to a professional ( think TMNT #1 ) or they refused like ( Eerie #1) I know this isn't  on the same level as those, but still in the past when it was questionable they refused.  Now they just slab it.. :facepalm:

On 1/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Thank you.  

That was kind of my take away, but to me this is still an issue. In the past when they couldn't distinguish they either sent to a professional ( think TMNT #1 ) or they refused like ( Eerie #1) I know this isn't  on the same level as those, but still in the past when it was questionable they refused.  Now they just slab it.. :facepalm:

I'm not very familiar with this area of collecting.....but I'm assuming you're talking about bootleg (fake) copies of the TMNT #1 comic and Eerie #1 comic or magazine.  If so, I do think this is different....as the validity of the item being genuine isn't in dispute.  

Also, and I could be wrong, but I have to assume the insert copy included with the comics wasn't attached to them in any way???  Was it just included loose.....like in a polybag with the comic? 

On 1/29/2022 at 5:52 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I'm not very familiar with this area of collecting.....but I'm assuming you're talking about bootleg (fake) copies of the TMNT #1 comic and Eerie #1 comic or magazine.  If so, I do think this is different....as the validity of the item being genuine isn't in dispute.  

Also, and I could be wrong, but I have to assume the insert copy included with the comics wasn't attached to them in any way???  Was it just included loose.....like in a polybag with the comic? 

Yes. That would be what I was referring to, but only in the aspect of that CGC can not distinguish between them and like this book they can not distinguish between promo and insert. 

Now if it is as you suggest that it was loose and not attached then I could see it all being ok. As they do not count or encapsulate loose items . That would be completely understandable.  My issue with it is if this was attached and it had to be removed.  Which is why I mentioned the green label. 

On 1/29/2022 at 6:08 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Now if it is as you suggest that it was loose and not attached then I could see it all being ok. As they do not count or encapsulate loose items . That would be completely understandable.  My issue with it is if this was attached and it had to be removed.  Which is why I mentioned the green label. 

If you really want to get your blood boiling......do a little digging into Nostalgic Mad comic books.

If you're not familiar with them, these were reprints of early issues of Mad Comics from the 1950's that were included as free inserts in Mad Specials (magazines) in the 1970's.  These reprints had a cover price of 10 cents that was marked out and "FREE" was written beneath it.  I remember getting a few of these as a kid, and as far as I know, these were not reprinted as stand-alone comics (someone correct this if I'm wrong).  They were literally bound with glue along their ENTIRE spine into the Mad Special magazines in the 1970's.  The only way to get them out was to rip them away from the spine of the magazine or cut them along the entire spine of the reprint to separate if from the magazine (which, as kids we often did, and then taped up the remnants of the spine to keep the comic from falling completely apart). 

Here is a link to one on Ebay that's still bound along its spine into the magazine.

Mad1.thumb.jpg.80fb3b978c0a199205cb1bf3bd6352f6.jpg      Mad2.thumb.jpg.fa3e050b2756ad14f812c822e7181c47.jpg

Why do I bring this up?  Because, according to the CGC census at this link for the two books below, they were both manufactured bound into Mad Special #9.....so how did these universal blue label copies happen?

Mad3.thumb.jpg.0f91a93c412511f0b2117493b333f0b8.jpg

Here's a restored copy with notes from CGC that it was manufactured bound into Mad Special #9......along with it's entire spine chewed up from removing it from the magazine.

Mad4.thumb.jpg.e53ec4c6300dbab9c89ff56cf71e1c6d.jpg

Mad5.thumb.jpg.1ef004440b3518b4ea512472c34d818b.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 1/29/2022 at 7:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If you really want to get your blood boiling......do a little digging into Nostalgic Mad comic books.

If you're not familiar with them, these were reprints of early issues of Mad Comics from the 1950's that were included as free inserts in Mad Specials (magazines) in the 1970's.  They reprints had a cover price of 10 cents that was marked out and "FREE" was written beneath it.  I remember getting a few of these as a kid, and as far as I know, these reprints were not printed as stand-alone comics (someone correct this if I'm wrong).  They were literally glued along the ENTIRE spine and bound into the Mad Special magazines in the 1970's.  The only way to get them out was to rip them away from the spine of the magazine or cut them along the entire spine of the reprint to separate if from the magazine (which, as kids we often did, and then taped up the remnants of the spine to keep the comic from falling completely apart). 

Here is a link to one on Ebay that's still bound with glue along it's entire spine in the magazine.

Mad1.thumb.jpg.80fb3b978c0a199205cb1bf3bd6352f6.jpg      Mad2.thumb.jpg.fa3e050b2756ad14f812c822e7181c47.jpg

Why do I bring this up?  Because, if I'm not wrong.....and these were not printed and distributed separately from the magazines.....how does this happen?

Mad3.thumb.jpg.0f91a93c412511f0b2117493b333f0b8.jpg

And why isn't this sold restored copy listed on GPA???

Mad4.thumb.jpg.e53ec4c6300dbab9c89ff56cf71e1c6d.jpg

Mad5.thumb.jpg.1ef004440b3518b4ea512472c34d818b.jpg

200-17.gif.38dc27896cb596c064d88e1524e75bf7.gif