• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

.........there is also the possibility that two bidders don't care that much about restoration. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

But Jimbo don't ya' know EVERYONE HATES any resto.

Restored Archie's are the worst. I'll take them from everyone. So you don't have to look at their terribleness.

Pep 22.......one of the least offered keys....... they keep going up. Two folks decided they were tired of not having one. There is also Resto removal......although I'm not familiar with the specifics of that book. Some Mod R books are on the borderline of Slight ...... although I agree, it's likely an outlier...... But Mehdy's Action 1 @ 1800 was once an outlier. GOD BLESS....

..... someone's kid may have done it (shrug)

Comicconnect deals with buyers from all over the world. It's conceivable a foreign collector could overlook the resto info on the label, no? The seller needs to keep his fingers crossed the buyer doesn't use their return policy or chicken out. It's a long couple weeks I tell ya.

Not only that but why did CBCS make it a point to use the colour blue at all? That colour has been associated with UNIVERSAL GRADE for 15 years. They could have used any other colour yet they chose that one. If they wanted to have "one label for all books" (even though, hypocritically enough, that is in fact *not* what they have) why not use pink or lime, or hell, just white, or literally any other colour and throw all your books in that holder with micro print that gives prospective buyers a headache when they try to read the label that tells them what kind of book they're *really* getting ?

But they didn't do that. They used the colour blue. Their reasons for doing so are both obvious and disconcerting.

-J.

I can't help but feel that if the label was purple in color it would have went for no more than 18k. But hey, congrats to the seller.

Time to go nuts buying up purple labels, cracking and resubmitting to CBCS.

Gotta disagree with you. No one that bought that 3.0 was fooled by the label color of a competitive grading company. Resto is resto. This is a perfect example of what the market is willing to pay. Would have been the same if someone had given you the 200k you were asking for your copy ... they would have known about and accepted the page quality, not just forked over the cash for a blue label.

Then where were these buyers last Aug when the 8.0 ep (purple label) went for only 22k? It just doesn't add up.

The Allentown pedigree Marvel 1 9.4 (NINE POINT FREAKING FOUR) with only SLIGHT resto went for 117k, only 250% more than the moderate 3.0 pep 22. It's straight bonkers.

Even purple label Sup 1's don't even come close to 16k a point.

The lack of purple is the only thing I can think of that could influence that kind of price. edit- ok, maybe not only thing, there's probably other factors(alcohol?) but most blatant thing.

I suggested it before in another thread, and I'll suggest it again here: I am very suspicious of very high sales prices for books from a new grading company. Collectors are wary of using that service because it hasn't been tested yet. It's plausible that someone is bidding these books way up as a marketing ploy—to send the message that this new company can deliver high sales prices just like CGC. I would not trust the sales results any farther than I could throw them. The results could be legit, of course, but I've been collecting comics for over 30 years now, and I know some of the sleight of hand that can go on in this hobby.

Pep 22.......one of the least offered keys....... they keep going up. Two folks decided they were tired of not having one. There is also Resto removal......although I'm not familiar with the specifics of that book. Some Mod R books are on the borderline of Slight ...... although I agree, it's likely an outlier...... But Mehdy's Action 1 @ 1800 was once an outlier. GOD BLESS....

..... someone's kid may have done it (shrug)

The resto on this seems closer to extensive actually, and to remove it all would probably lower the book to at most a 1.0, more likely a .5. So, 50k for essentially a 1.0 Pep 22....yeah.

edit- @jimbo707 That's also what I was thinking as a strong possibility.

I can't help but feel that if the label was purple in color it would have went for no more than 18k. But hey, congrats to the seller.

Gotta disagree with you. No one that bought that 3.0 was fooled by the label color of a competitive grading company. Resto is resto. This is a perfect example of what the market is willing to pay. Would have been the same if someone had given you the 200k you were asking for your copy ... they would have known about and accepted the page quality, not just forked over the cash for a blue label.

Then where were these buyers last Aug when the 8.0 ep (purple label) went for only 22k? It just doesn't add up.

The Allentown pedigree Marvel 1 9.4 (NINE POINT FREAKING FOUR) with only SLIGHT resto went for 117k, only 250% more than the moderate 3.0 pep 22. It's straight bonkers.

The lack of purple is the only thing I can think of that could influence that kind of price. edit- ok, maybe not only thing, there's probably other factors(alcohol?) but most blatant thing.

I suggested it before in another thread, and I'll suggest it again here: I am very suspicious of very high sales prices for books from a new grading company. Collectors are wary of using that service because it hasn't been tested yet. It's plausible that someone is bidding these books way up as a marketing ploy—to send the message that this new company can deliver high sales prices just like CGC. I would not trust the sales results any farther than I could throw them. The results could be legit, of course, but I've been collecting comics for over 30 years now, and I know some of the sleight of hand that can go on in this hobby.

That is very conspiratorial. People still pay high prices for PGX despite their proven track record of dishonesty.

That is very conspiratorial. People still pay high prices for PGX despite their proven track record of dishonesty.

It's a bunch of hooey, is what it is. Jaydogrules says that CBCS labeled books sell for less than their CGC counterparts, while jimbo_707 claims that CBCS books are being bid up as a marketing ploy. Which is it?

CBCS is run by former graders of CGC. Both companies are grading rather tightly at the moment. To suggest that there's a marked difference in quality is just silly.

It's a bunch of hooey, is what it is. Jaydogrules says that CBCS labeled books sell for less than their CGC counterparts, while jimbo_707 claims that CBCS books are being bid up as a marketing ploy. Which is it?

CBCS is run by former graders of CGC. Both companies are grading rather tightly at the moment. To suggest that there's a marked difference in quality is just silly.

They do sell for less. A casual perusal of ebay closed sales shows as much. The point being that this pep 22 appears to be a ridiculous outlier by any standard.

-J.

pep 22 moderate 3.0 is at 30k since its an entry level copy... likethe tec 31 .5

especially pep 22. only 21 cgc copies. 10 unrestored.

also people usually keep them for the long run

the 6.5 is looking like a steal under 100k

I wonder what my 6.5 is worth :grin:

Thanks man! I know I've sent you a scan before :)

135k ;)

I wish I had an unrestored copy. Mine is restored :sorry:

:takeit:

and I'll take Lauren's too... I mean talk about a restored copy, but what a killer resto job!

pep 22 moderate 3.0 is at 30k since its an entry level copy... likethe tec 31 .5

especially pep 22. only 21 cgc copies. 10 unrestored.

also people usually keep them for the long run

the 6.5 is looking like a steal under 100k

I wonder what my 6.5 is worth :grin:

135k ;)

I wish I had an unrestored copy. Mine is restored :sorry:

Still a great book. Better hold on to it and wait for the Riverdale series:)

I would just hold onto it. So rare and its the first Archie!!!! An amazing book to own.

True, but if i sell it I can buy another pre robin Tec :grin:

They do sell for less. A casual perusal of ebay closed sales shows as much. The point being that this pep 22 appears to be a ridiculous outlier by any standard.

-J.

I'm not saying you're both wrong. I'm saying you both can't be right. doh!

I'm curious to see what my 9.0 restored what be worth. I don't think that 3.0 should have gone for that much, but if that's what the market dictates...

If you are seriously considering consigning your copy, we need to talk privately :baiting:

-J.

hm We could be if someone(s) really was trying to juice CBCS books a little in order to attain a greater parity in pricing with CGC books in the broader market. (Not that I think either scenario is likely. CBCS will likely always (and rightly) be second fiddle. There's always an advantage in being first to market.)

-J.

I'm curious to see what my 9.0 restored what be worth. I don't think that 3.0 should have gone for that much, but if that's what the market dictates...

If you are seriously considering consigning your copy, we need to talk privately :baiting:

Very subtle Brian! lol

If you buy her 9.0 please sell me your 6.5!

Very subtle Brian! lol

If you buy her 9.0 please sell me your 6.5!

It will not be about buying. But something else

Ok I'm here to eat a little crow. I thought the Captain Marvel ashcan would break-out, at least a little....but it didn't. I guarantee you the buyer will be happy he bought it though, as long as he hangs onto it for a while. This is one of those comics that I LOVE - the kind that you know are going to go up in value....but they also have a chance to HIT BIG. Those are the kind of comics I love. And the Captain Marvel ashcan HAS A CHANCE to hit big someday. BUT....I admit, it's not getting much respect yet.

I hear a lot about cover art. Covers seem to make comics worth more. Some even say they don't like it when a first appearance isn't on the cover. Me....coming from a background in coins and sports-cards (and mathematics/engineering), I don't understand this as well. Someone who appreciates art would understand better I guess. The covers seem to play a HUGE role in Tech 31 & 33, as well as the Captain Marvel ashcan. Apparently original art isn't enough if it's in black-&-white.

The only reason I crawled out of my hole today is because I AM happy with the strong showing of More Fun 73. $74,500 for a 5.0 is great; proves $38,838 for the 3.0 was legit. I think between both Aquaman and Green Arrow, it's deserving of top-tier status. Some don't think so. Especially Batman fans it seems. Don't worry, I'm not saying they're Batman. But come on, Aquaman is clearly in the DC Top-6; absolutely zero question about that. And Green Arrow is probably #7. So together that puts them in the tier right behind Superman and Batman. No question. So I don't see how this is a huge surprise. Maybe the rapidness of the ascent.

I thought the $27,000 for the Flash ashcan was a strong price. It's now a top 10 ashcan. The buyer knew quality and paid for it. How much did you think it would sell for?

-J.

We could be. It could be that for most books, CBCS copies sell for less, but that for select, high-visibility auctions, certain books are being bid up for future marketing value.

I also won't say that CBCS is markedly different in their consistency than CGC, but their standards may be different. In fact, since CGCs system is proprietary, it stands to reason that there are some differences. CBCS may not treat stains the same way as CGC, for example. (I mention that because some people have complained that CGC is too hard on stains.)

I can't believe how much some of these prices keep exploding. I'm just glad I bought a few of them a few years ago- 1-5 years ago. I spent the upper limits of my comfort level on a few books I have always wanted to own thinking that if I did not buy them at the time I would not have the chance again, or at least in the next few years, because of the high continued increases in prices these books are demanding.

Comicconnect deals with buyers from all over the world. It's conceivable a foreign collector could overlook the resto info on the label, no? The seller needs to keep his fingers crossed the buyer doesn't use their return policy or chicken out. It's a long couple weeks I tell ya.

Not only that but why did CBCS make it a point to use the colour blue at all? That colour has been associated with UNIVERSAL GRADE for 15 years. They could have used any other colour yet they chose that one. If they wanted to have "one label for all books" (even though, hypocritically enough, that is in fact *not* what they have) why not use pink or lime, or hell, just white, or literally any other colour and throw all your books in that holder with micro print that gives prospective buyers a headache when they try to read the label that tells them what kind of book they're *really* getting ?

But they didn't do that. They used the colour blue. Their reasons for doing so are both obvious and disconcerting.

-J.

It's a great niche for CBCS. They'll become the company specializing in slabbing restored books.

Everyone with a CGC PLOD can now rush to crack their books out and resub to CBCS and get a BLOD and get a huge return on their investment immediately. It's basically what all the PLOD owners have been jonesing for for years.

It's the best new comic arbitrage opportunity since cracking and pressing 10 years ago.

The MF 73 is at a mere 15 times guide. Thank the Lord GA books are immune from movie hype! :D

I'm sorry but that is just insane :screwy: Aquaman is being viewed as an A list superhero (in the same league as Batman, Superman, and WW) which I respectfully disagree... Even with the movie announcement and all, I really can't fathom what is happening now.. The book sells for more than a AS 8 in the same grade and maybe about the same if not a bit higher than a Bat 1 :o

Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes:

Nothing of him that doth fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-dong.

Hark! now I hear them—Ding-dong, bell.