• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

pep 22 moderate 3.0 is at 30k since its an entry level copy... likethe tec 31 .5

especially pep 22. only 21 cgc copies. 10 unrestored.

also people usually keep them for the long run

the 6.5 is looking like a steal under 100k

I wonder what my 6.5 is worth :grin:

135k ;)

I wish I had an unrestored copy. Mine is restored :sorry:

Still a great book. Better hold on to it and wait for the Riverdale series:)

I would just hold onto it. So rare and its the first Archie!!!! An amazing book to own.

True, but if i sell it I can buy another pre robin Tec :grin:

not a bad idea at all!

I'm sorry but that is just insane :screwy: Aquaman is being viewed as an A list superhero (in the same league as Batman, Superman, and WW) which I respectfully disagree... Even with the movie announcement and all, I really can't fathom what is happening now..

Whether or not current price levels are justified is a separate issue, but that aside --

Green Arrow has the best comic-related series on tv.

Aquaman is not the punchline he was 40 years ago. There have been months within the past 3-4 years that the title has outsold every single Marvel release for the month. (I'm cherrypicking there, but the point is, the book does good to great with the right creative team). This is part of why he's on the DC movie slate. They know they can make it work story-wise and that the fan support is there if they get it right.

Again, as to price levels and whether they will be sustained, who knows, BUT -- both characters have more visibility now (and over the next few years) than they have had in decades, and perhaps ever.

I'm curious to see what my 9.0 restored what be worth. I don't think that 3.0 should have gone for that much, but if that's what the market dictates...

If you are seriously considering consigning your copy, we need to talk privately :baiting:

I'm not interested in consigning it. I'd outright sell it for $85K. Since that 3.0 went for you know, $48.

I'm sorry but that is just insane :screwy: Aquaman is being viewed as an A list superhero (in the same league as Batman, Superman, and WW) which I respectfully disagree... Even with the movie announcement and all, I really can't fathom what is happening now..

Whether or not current price levels are justified is a separate issue, but that aside --

Aquaman is not the punchline he was 40 years ago. There have been months within the past 3-4 years that the title has outsold every single Marvel release for the month. (I'm cherrypicking there, but the point is, the book does good to great with the right creative team). This is part of why he's on the DC movie slate. They know they can make it work story-wise and that the fan support is there if they get it right.

Again, as to price levels and whether they will be sustained, who knows, BUT -- both characters have more visibility now (and over the next few years) than they have had in decades, and perhaps ever.

Can we all at least finally acknowledge and agree now that movie hype hits GA as well? (shrug)

-J.

Can we all at least finally acknowledge and agree now that movie hype hits GA as well? (shrug)

-J.

...... this would first have to be discussed with the winning bidder and the underbidder before speculating as to their motives. I realize that some of the Nationwide MegaDealers like Rick have likely seen several copies, but none of these MF's are common. The 73 has been considered a key since I was a kid. Personally, I would be inclined to believe that the newfound mainstream popularity probably does have something to do with it. It may be specific to these characters(as regarding the spike), but it may simply be the media attention in general (in Hollywood and elsewhere) that has spurred speculator/ investor confidence. Many experts had predicted that this is exactly what would happen. I personally love the More Fun run..... especially the wartime era..... GREAT art inside.....and the fact that it had become a "dead title" may have flushed out books at a degree that makes them seem more common than they actually are. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Except on the cover of MF #73

as previously mentioned, as late as 2012 I had multiple copies of MF 73 on my convention walls and NO ONE seemingly ever inquired about them...

the 3.5 that sold in heritage for 38K last Nov, I sold for 5K at WW Chicago 2013...

this is a book that presumably a handful of folks REEEEEAAAALLLY want, and are paying what I consider "strong" money to obtain... that said, cool...I've always been a believer in the book...have sold 5 copies I believe in the last 2 years, when I couldn't give it away the previous 7

as previously mentioned, as late as 2012 I had multiple copies of MF 73 on my convention walls and NO ONE seemingly ever inquired about them...

the 3.5 that sold in heritage for 38K last Nov, I sold for 5K at WW Chicago 2013...

this is a book that presumably a handful of folks REEEEEAAAALLLY want, and are paying what I consider "strong" money to obtain... that said, cool...I've always been a believer in the book...have sold 5 copies I believe in the last 2 years, when I couldn't give it away the previous 7

...you're definitely the go to guy for this stuff.......and 38K for a 3.5 is rather robust. I guess I'm the weirdo in the room..... I :cloud9: the Dr. Fate covers.... GOD BLESS....

...you're definitely the go to guy for this stuff.......and 38K for a 3.5 is rather robust. I guess I'm the weirdo in the room..... I :cloud9: the Dr. Fate covers.... GOD BLESS....

You aren't. I think that cover is awesome. Like Action 2, I wanted copies of both, but shied away due to the other factors that kept prices out of my comfort zone.

I'm curious to see what my 9.0 restored what be worth. I don't think that 3.0 should have gone for that much, but if that's what the market dictates...

If you are seriously considering consigning your copy, we need to talk privately :baiting:

I'm not interested in consigning it. I'd outright sell it for $85K. Since that 3.0 went for you know, $48.

(thumbs u

I am not hating on the MF 73 book or anything like that, just dumbfounded by the prices it is achieving right now. Great sell for the consignors that's for sure. Shoot, if I had a copy laying around, I'd auction it off too. I am uncertain how down the line prices will be later on. Can it sustain these strong prices or will it hold back? This book just exploded too too fast IMHO.

Wow. $22k for a 0.5 Tec 31 and only $36k for a Tec 33, 6.5.

Something definitely seems more than a little out of whack about that, and 33 certainly seems severely under-valued in relation at this point. doh!

-J.

..... Same here...... Tec 33 just seems to have a lot to offer....and it's an Uber-Cool book (...to me) GOD BLESS...

Totally agree.

+1. The tec 33 was a deal

...and yet this restored 1.0 is up to over $11k on ebay with three days to go.... (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-33-DC-Comics-Golden-Age-1939-Origin-of-Batman-CGC-1-0-/191542299735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c98cf8c57

-J.

and the bid retractions have begun. shocker ! Seriously, 11k for a fugly 1.0mp :eyeroll:

Wow. $22k for a 0.5 Tec 31 and only $36k for a Tec 33, 6.5.

Something definitely seems more than a little out of whack about that, and 33 certainly seems severely under-valued in relation at this point. doh!

-J.

..... Same here...... Tec 33 just seems to have a lot to offer....and it's an Uber-Cool book (...to me) GOD BLESS...

Totally agree.

+1. The tec 33 was a deal

...and yet this restored 1.0 is up to over $11k on ebay with three days to go.... (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-33-DC-Comics-Golden-Age-1939-Origin-of-Batman-CGC-1-0-/191542299735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c98cf8c57

-J.

and the bid retractions have begun. shocker ! Seriously, 11k for a fugly 1.0mp :eyeroll:

shocking... lol

Comicconnect deals with buyers from all over the world. It's conceivable a foreign collector could overlook the resto info on the label, no? The seller needs to keep his fingers crossed the buyer doesn't use their return policy or chicken out. It's a long couple weeks I tell ya.

Not only that but why did CBCS make it a point to use the colour blue at all? That colour has been associated with UNIVERSAL GRADE for 15 years. They could have used any other colour yet they chose that one. If they wanted to have "one label for all books" (even though, hypocritically enough, that is in fact *not* what they have) why not use pink or lime, or hell, just white, or literally any other colour and throw all your books in that holder with micro print that gives prospective buyers a headache when they try to read the label that tells them what kind of book they're *really* getting ?

But they didn't do that. They used the colour blue. Their reasons for doing so are both obvious and disconcerting.

-J.

It's a great niche for CBCS. They'll become the company specializing in slabbing restored books.

Everyone with a CGC PLOD can now rush to crack their books out and resub to CBCS and get a BLOD and get a huge return on their investment immediately. It's basically what all the PLOD owners have been jonesing for for years.

It's the best new comic arbitrage opportunity since cracking and pressing 10 years ago.

The PLOD provides opportunities as much as anything else. I've seen (and had) books that were PLOD when sold, then saw the resto was removed and the book sold for much more.

There is no perfect answer, because we can't go back in time and forego the colored labels in the first place, which would have been the best thing.

I agree with the poster who said it's not logical to think people will spend thousands on a book without reading the label and seeing it's got some work done to it.

But I can agree that somebody who doesn't know the difference between CGC and CBCS might confuse the two and think the lack of a purple label means no resto. They might see only the big number. (but then, I am not a fan of making the grade number the biggest damn thing on the label in the first place)

Because of that, I would expect that people might offer buyers a chance to back out if they can reasonably say they didn't understand the difference between the two companies. Key word there is "reasonably." I would not be surprised to hear that ill-intentioned people pretended they didn't know, and I would be surprised if we do not hear of people contacting the buyersof restored CBCS books and talking them into demanding refunds out of a pure desire to cause trouble.

The real problem is not that one company has colored labels and the other doesn't, or that any company is being "deceptive," but that the colored labels were a bad idea in the first place and have caused large variations in price that bear little relation to rational thinking

While they are not the best examples of skewed valuations, the Supe 1s being offered tonight are a decent case in point. One is a moderate restored 7.0 and the other is a trashed looking unrestored book. Knowing what I do about what what constitutes moderation resto it is entirely possible and actually quite likely that the restored 7.0 started off looking much better than the unrestored book. Add to that the vast difference in eye appeal between the books (huge stains in the unrestored) and it's clear that the eye appeal of the restored book also started off much better than the other. And then realized that it's also likely that if you added all the defects together -- counting the resto as ADDITIONAL defects, the total defects in the mod restored 7.0 would be fewer than the defects in the unrestored book. Yet, the blue label book, last time I checked, had bids several times that of the other book.

That is skewed and strange, and it does not reflect well on the hobby. It's a good idea to try to change it, somehow. Which is why CGC made some efforts to address it with the conserved label,

Comicconnect deals with buyers from all over the world. It's conceivable a foreign collector could overlook the resto info on the label, no? The seller needs to keep his fingers crossed the buyer doesn't use their return policy or chicken out. It's a long couple weeks I tell ya.

Not only that but why did CBCS make it a point to use the colour blue at all? That colour has been associated with UNIVERSAL GRADE for 15 years. They could have used any other colour yet they chose that one. If they wanted to have "one label for all books" (even though, hypocritically enough, that is in fact *not* what they have) why not use pink or lime, or hell, just white, or literally any other colour and throw all your books in that holder with micro print that gives prospective buyers a headache when they try to read the label that tells them what kind of book they're *really* getting ?

But they didn't do that. They used the colour blue. Their reasons for doing so are both obvious and disconcerting.

-J.

It's a great niche for CBCS. They'll become the company specializing in slabbing restored books.

Everyone with a CGC PLOD can now rush to crack their books out and resub to CBCS and get a BLOD and get a huge return on their investment immediately. It's basically what all the PLOD owners have been jonesing for for years.

It's the best new comic arbitrage opportunity since cracking and pressing 10 years ago.

The PLOD provides opportunities as much as anything else. I've seen (and had) books that were PLOD when sold, then saw the resto was removed and the book sold for much more.

There is no perfect answer, because we can't go back in time and forego the colored labels in the first place, which would have been the best thing.

I agree with the poster who said it's not logical to think people will spend thousands on a book without reading the label and seeing it's got some work done to it.

But I can agree that somebody who doesn't know the difference between CGC and CBCS might confuse the two and think the lack of a purple label means no resto. They might see only the big number. (but then, I am not a fan of making the grade number the biggest damn thing on the label in the first place)

Because of that, I would expect that people might offer buyers a chance to back out if they can reasonably say they didn't understand the difference between the two companies. Key word there is "reasonably." I would not be surprised to hear that ill-intentioned people pretended they didn't know, and I would be surprised if we do not hear of people contacting the buyersof restored CBCS books and talking them into demanding refunds out of a pure desire to cause trouble.

The real problem is not that one company has colored labels and the other doesn't, or that any company is being "deceptive," but that the colored labels were a bad idea in the first place and have caused large variations in price that bear little relation to rational thinking

While they are not the best examples of skewed valuations, the Supe 1s being offered tonight are a decent case in point. One is a moderate restored 7.0 and the other is a trashed looking unrestored book. Knowing what I do about what what constitutes moderation resto it is entirely possible and actually quite likely that the restored 7.0 started off looking much better than the unrestored book. Add to that the vast difference in eye appeal between the books (huge stains in the unrestored) and it's clear that the eye appeal of the restored book also started off much better than the other. And then realized that it's also likely that if you added all the defects together -- counting the resto as ADDITIONAL defects, the total defects in the mod restored 7.0 would be fewer than the defects in the unrestored book. Yet, the blue label book, last time I checked, had bids several times that of the other book.

That is skewed and strange, and it does not reflect well on the hobby. It's a good idea to try to change it, somehow. Which is why CGC made some efforts to address it with the conserved label,

:applause: Very lucid commentary.

Confidence is a strange beast isn't it? Will we see comic tycoons fling themselves bodily off of skyscrapers when the comic market crashes along with the world economy?

I am not hating on the MF 73 book or anything like that, just dumbfounded by the prices it is achieving right now. Great sell for the consignors that's for sure. Shoot, if I had a copy laying around, I'd auction it off too. I am uncertain how down the line prices will be later on. Can it sustain these strong prices or will it hold back? This book just exploded too too fast IMHO.

In my opinion as well.

Why is MF 73 worth a ton of money? Because when you make a list of the top Golden Age characters, both Aquaman and Green Arrow are on that list. Added together, they're right there with Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. The tier right behind Action 1 and Tech 27. And as a bonus, it's on the rare side.

Cover art....I'm still working on figuring that out. Everyone has their tastes. But if you go by character ranking, MF 73 is right up there.