• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, dikran1 said:

Aesthetics bother me less than geography lol

Not sure why we're worrying about the perspective and colors without mentioning the pantless duck on a flying carpet.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:01 PM, dikran1 said:

Wow just noticed the hammer on the FC 16 3.5 at 9000$ :whatthe: Bought a 2.5 last year for 1500$. Maybe I should start a ''Show us your Mice!'' thread lol

.. and just a year ago I missed a 4.0 sold at 2,4K... as always the Platinum Session is not the place to save money. Sunday's auctions are much better...

On 9/14/2021 at 8:47 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

They probably changed the colors!

You know I went and looked at old photos and it looks like they actually kept the original colors! The comic artist was probably working from B&W photos or took artistic license!

Oh and I didn't realize this book came out in September 1955 meaning it must have been in production prior to the opening on Disneyland in late July 1955. That might explain a few things too! Great marketing comic! I think I have a beat up copy of this somewhere; now I want to go look at the content with those dates in mind.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 9/15/2021 at 1:09 PM, dikran1 said:

Here’s one of my grandma at Disneyland from the early 70s. Roof colors are still beige. Doubt they would have been changed.91158869-B8CE-4DD0-8DD2-49101FA634AE.thumb.jpeg.1c51253c70219821614a0ff8ba160293.jpeg

Must have been a memorable trip for them! Today's Grandmom would be wearing yoga pants and sporting a tat on the calf! Ha Ha! times change.

Here's a question. I saw a Tops Comic WDCS for sale in my Ebay feed and it reminded me of how I would come across these in the early seventies and always wondered about them. I was looking them up and the Gold Key entry on Wikipedia indicated they were sold in bags of five back in 1967. But I don't recall ever seeing one of those anywhere? Anyone ever seen a bagged set of those? That would be a fun addition to the collection as I have almost every other example of Gold Key's imprint types. I think I'm missing a couple of the very early Giant experiments like the Flinstones book.

On 9/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's a question. I saw a Tops Comic WDCS for sale in my Ebay feed and it reminded me of how I would come across these in the early seventies and always wondered about them. I was looking them up and the Gold Key entry on Wikipedia indicated they were sold in bags of five back in 1967. But I don't recall ever seeing one of those anywhere? Anyone ever seen a bagged set of those? That would be a fun addition to the collection as I have almost every other example of Gold Key's imprint types. I think I'm missing a couple of the very early Giant experiments like the Flinstones book.

I have seen a bagged copy of these, it had, I think, Super Goof #1, Zorro #1, and Snow White & the Seven Dwarves.  I picked it up, still bagged and dirt cheap (although I don't remember the exact price), at a Toys 'R' Us in the early 90's or thereabouts.  And stupidly opened it.  I with I had grabbed every one of them they had; I think the were all the same mix of three books or I would have gotten more.

I remember wondering at the time how long the books had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere; I'm 99% certain they were the original bags.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:36 PM, OtherEric said:

I have seen a bagged copy of these, it had, I think, Super Goof #1, Zorro #1, and Snow White & the Seven Dwarves.  I picked it up, still bagged and dirt cheap (although I don't remember the exact price), at a Toys 'R' Us in the early 90's or thereabouts.  And stupidly opened it.  I with I had grabbed every one of them they had; I think the were all the same mix of three books or I would have gotten more.

I remember wondering at the time how long the books had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere; I'm 99% certain they were the original bags.

That's incredible that you were able to find that in the early nineties in a retail environment 23 years or so after they were published and distributed. And if they sold them at the marked price it would have been the deal of the last millennium! We used to find stuff like this in the mid seventies at discount department stores. Makes you wonder how many boxes of undistributed comics are still gathering dust in some obscure warehouse waiting discovery.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:42 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It must have been this pack, found this on E-Bay for sale. Too bad you didn't grab all of them at that! And hopefully you only paid 59 cents!

image.thumb.png.53b206f86c6fe3f6a708d9a6e847805d.png

I really do think my pack only had the three books.  I don’t recall the price exactly, other than dirt cheap.  It could have been under a dollar.

A cool WDC&S 143 (subscription variant).  This is the transitional issue.  They went from putting the address stamp in a designated white area in the back cover house ad in WDC&S 142 (and before), to being just stamped on the front cover over color for 143 (just one issue), to then being stamped in a designated white area of the cover for 144 (and after for a time).  I assume the reason for the transition is that they wanted to start selling advertising on the back cover, initially a Wheaties ad, instead of running the house ad and the subscription stamp box:

CGC3868516-003_OBV.thumb.jpg.f3d0d1b119da287a2109110956ccc668.jpg

CGC3868516-003_REV.thumb.jpg.5e3edc4d04fbb082050c025c66cb4125.jpg

On 9/28/2021 at 12:28 AM, sfcityduck said:

A cool WDC&S 143 (subscription variant).  This is the transitional issue.  They went from putting the address stamp in a designated white area in the back cover house ad in WDC&S 142 (and before), to being just stamped on the front cover over color for 143 (just one issue), to then being stamped in a designated white area of the cover for 144 (and after for a time).  I assume the reason for the transition is that they wanted to start selling advertising on the back cover, initially a Wheaties ad, instead of running the house ad and the subscription stamp box:

CGC3868516-003_OBV.thumb.jpg.f3d0d1b119da287a2109110956ccc668.jpg

CGC3868516-003_REV.thumb.jpg.5e3edc4d04fbb082050c025c66cb4125.jpg

That's a beautiful looking 7.0!

On 9/27/2021 at 9:23 PM, sfcityduck said:

Only my second best 7.0 (white) duck book.  Here's no. 1 (and, no, I don't know why CGC hates beautiful duck subscription copies - I think they may write them down for the subscription address stamp):

1396466485_IMG_0199(2).thumb.jpg.bd9e478761774f8d475168a956deb604.jpg

I think I'd thank them for giving you the chance to own what looks like a 9.0 plus for the price of a 7.0! Seriously though the subscription markings were part of the manufacturing unlike date stamps which they don't subtract for...so what gives there?

On 9/28/2021 at 6:48 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I think I'd thank them for giving you the chance to own what looks like a 9.0 plus for the price of a 7.0! Seriously though the subscription markings were part of the manufacturing unlike date stamps which they don't subtract for...so what gives there?

Except I am the one who found it and submitted it.  Other books from the same OO came back with much higher grades, such as this one I set free:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #137 (Dell, 1952) CGC NM 9.4 White pages....

To Heritage's credit, they recognized the worth of a really nice subscription copy in their description of the book:

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #137 (Dell, 1952) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. A subscription copy in Near Mint is a remarkable find indeed! This has an address printed on the back and a different ad from the one that appeared on newsstand editions. Yet it has no subscription crease! Tied with one other copy (which only has off-white pages) for CGC's highest-grade for the issue, this is just the fourth certified copy that we have ever encountered, and is quite possibly the nicest copy of #137 in existence. Carl Barks provided the cover art, and a Donald Duck story and art for this impressive duck-filled issue. Huey, Dewey, and Louie appear. Overstreet 2018 NM- 9.2 value = $215. CGC census 11/18: 2 in 9.4, none higher.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I avoid issues with the subscription stamp/box on the front cover because I think they're unsightly. When they're on the back I don't mind them at all.