• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, waaaghboss said:

:(

It's gone up.  Had 2 go by on ebay in the last few years, both higher grade, and memory is fuzzy but last one sold for around 450sih?

yes, last one was sold for 450$ in August, a pretty nice copy!

On 11/8/2021 at 8:24 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Congratulations. I still need one of those but like to buy higher grade and don't really want to drop the change being asked for this book. It's by no means rare! Actually thought some of the Duck Four Colors went for reasonable money on Heritage last night. Maybe things are calming down?

Same here, waiting for a nice copy within the budget. Prices are going better, but let's see the final results from Comics & Comics Art signature: we will get a better idea.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, dikran1 said:

Finally! The last Barks FC Donald i needed for the PC! :cloud9: 

DFCB80D9-08C8-47B2-86A5-13C40125E6A2.jpeg

Awesome. Congrats.  I like this copy.  well done.  

I bought my copy this year also.  I kept putting it off for various reasons but seeing so many big keys sky rocket I didn’t want to wait for that price bottom and honestly I just like this book too much to procrastinate any longer.   I think I paid 2004 gpa or something so hard to complain about prices in Disney these days.    This is one of those books that is way more cool in hands vs looking at scan in online catalog.   

What are you guys' thoughts on the Mickey Mouse Four Colors? Are they undervalued? overlooked? underappreciated? hated? I understand the deserved reverence for Carl Barks but I mean it's Mickey Mouse, come on...

I pick them up here and there for peanuts vs Duck books...

On 11/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, dikran1 said:

What are you guys' thoughts on the Mickey Mouse Four Colors? Are they undervalued? overlooked? underappreciated? hated? I understand the deserved reverence for Carl Barks but I mean it's Mickey Mouse, come on...

Absolutely I love buying nice copies of those in the sub $50. range. Tons of availability and some aren't so bad as fun readers. Mickey and Beanstalk and Sky Adventure come to mind right away. Of course the grail is the Phantom Blot which gets deservedly good prices. Here's a couple.

30686092_MickeyKey001.thumb.jpg.d9f922cc7ef48b3b62143dc9559c5c34.jpgMMSkyAdventure.thumb.jpg.407c6d16bd6acc2fe1e99e4906d717cf.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 11/13/2021 at 12:38 PM, dikran1 said:

Honestly the mouse doesn't move me enough.  With limited budget I am going for my favorite... the Donald-Scrooge is hands down what I enjoy, but combined w Huey/Duey/Louie trifecta.   Even the 1980s-2010 stuff, scrooge material is some of best produced comics of anything period and available for peanuts.  I get some Mickey material via WDCS I collect but I don't go out of my way for the mouse four color.   I am surprised that Disney in general is so overlooked in this market.  I think all Disney is way under valued and will eventually come back as people pursue quality.   But if it doesn't I don't care, I have always been a collector at heart.   

On 11/14/2021 at 9:20 AM, dikran1 said:

I would have loved to have seen what would have happened if Mickey got the same world and character building as Barks gave Donald… 

oof that’s a lot of “have”s 😂

Yup, it's as simple as Mickey never had a Barks (or Rosa for that matter).

It's interesting how development of comic characters can take such unpredictable twists.  If one were to have predicted which of the original animation characters would be most successful in comics, I imagine Mickey would've won hands down.  I would also expect that Donald, who was a pretty one-dimensional character in the cartoons, would've come in pretty low.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:20 PM, dikran1 said:

I would have loved to have seen what would have happened if Mickey got the same world and character building as Barks gave Donald… 

oof that’s a lot of “have”s 😂

On 11/13/2021 at 6:44 PM, tth2 said:

Yup, it's as simple as Mickey never had a Barks (or Rosa for that matter).

Mickey did have a Gottfredson, who did for the Mickey in the comic strip something similar.  But that never really made it to the comic books other than reprints.  But it gives us at least some idea what could have happened.  

I don't think we ever really got anything like that for the Looney Tunes, for instance.  Although Mary Jane & Sniffles was brilliant in its own way and some of Sheldon Mayer's funny animals for DC have a Warner Brothers vibe to them.

On 11/13/2021 at 10:58 PM, OtherEric said:

Mickey did have a Gottfredson, who did for the Mickey in the comic strip something similar.  But that never really made it to the comic books other than reprints.  But it gives us at least some idea what could have happened.  

I don't think we ever really got anything like that for the Looney Tunes, for instance.  Although Mary Jane & Sniffles was brilliant in its own way and some of Sheldon Mayer's funny animals for DC have a Warner Brothers vibe to them.

Yes the best Mickey's are Gottfredson reprints. Mostly in the back of WDCS or a few four colors. The various reprints are worth reading any day.

Sheldon Meyer's Three Mouseketeers is a really great strip both in its original incarnation in the forties as a riff of the French novel and then the more humorous fifties version.

Another ancillery area of duck collecting are the wide array of duck and mouse family spin off titles that were issued particularly in the fifties. As a kid I would always be thrilled to make a flea market find of some of these books. Of course the Barks work in Gyro Gearloose and Grandma Duck was a standout but you could often be surprised by some fun stories in the Giants (Barks always a giant plus!) Goofy had some fun titles and even some of the educational Donald books (Mathmagic Land) were fun. While WDCS and Uncle Scrooge were the mainstays there was a massive amount of fun Disney product out there competing for your dime! Spin and Marty, Annette and the Hardy Boys from the Mickey Mouse Club and Zorro from the Sunday Show! I still find these books at shows for five to ten bucks and they are great reads!

On 11/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes the best Mickey's are Gottfredson reprints. Mostly in the back of WDCS or a few four colors. The various reprints are worth reading any day.

Sheldon Meyer's Three Mouseketeers is a really great strip both in its original incarnation in the forties as a riff of the French novel and then the more humorous fifties version.

Love the 50s version of the Three Musketeers. When I was around 7 I somehow ended up with a couple of issues. First clue I had that there were older comic books than the ones I saw at Circle K.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:21 PM, Badger said:

Love the 50s version of the Three Musketeers. When I was around 7 I somehow ended up with a couple of issues. First clue I had that there were older comic books than the ones I saw at Circle K.

I first encountered it in the DC seventies series which reprinted the fifties series sometime in the mid seventies. Then I found a couple of fifties issues at the flea market. In the late seventies there was a mail order comic dealer I used to order from and I thought I'd give the Funny Stuff title a shot. That's when I first saw the original version. Fun stuff in Funny Stuff!

FunnyStuff8.thumb.jpg.1f6f47f390145713ab584e9e02282028.jpg

On 11/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I first encountered it in the DC seventies series which reprinted the fifties series sometime in the mid seventies. Then I found a couple of fifties issues at the flea market. In the late seventies there was a mail order comic dealer I used to order from and I thought I'd give the Funny Stuff title a shot. That's when I first saw the original version. Fun stuff in Funny Stuff!

FunnyStuff8.thumb.jpg.1f6f47f390145713ab584e9e02282028.jpg

Oh and if you want proof people have gotten more sensitive over the years that cover is it!! That cover would send people into therapy today!!