• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

I liked the sequence, but those cargo ship monsters weren't so great.

That bad CG really stood out. One of my least favorite parts. And I'm not one of those people who are so against the use of it either.

It amazes me that the premiere special effects company, ILM, didn't do a better job. I myself didn't notice, but I keep hearing this from others.

There was CG everywhere. Or was there ??? I thought the effects were amazing.

I saw it in 3d also. Maybe that makes some difference. 3d always looks a little different with movies.

Just wondering (since I saw it in 2D) Im guessing that the Cargo monster sequence was a pretty big 3D scene?

Any others big 3D sequences? (Im wondering if the scene was there in part to increase the number of 3D effects to justify the 3D release)

Quick question for the gurus: so the new bad guys are not Sith ? I thought only Sith and Jedi had the rundown on the Force.

Also, why do the bad guys keep building Death Stars with a single point of failure ? :facepalm: I'd like to see them win for a change.

We don't really know what they are yet. Snoke is believed to not be Sith, but next to nothing is known about him (not even sure it is a him) yet. Kylo MIGHT be Sith but he is most defiantly not a Sith Lord yet. The Superweapon in TFA did not have a singular failure point. It had a regulator needed for channeling and holding the Sun's energy before firing it. When the regulator was destroyed (that's what Han blew up, not a shield generator, Phasma took the shields down) the energy from the Sun could not be contained and blew the planet up. This is different from the Death Star where firing a single torpedo into an exhaust shaft blew up the whole thing. Interestingly, several people I have been talking with have discussed that the design of their Superweapon is similar in design to a Jedi lightsaber (in that the regulator allows the Kyber Crystal to turn into a light saber) and are wondering if they are going to go in that direction.

Very good points Jay.

Gotham Kid, lots of species in the Star Wars world are force sensitive they just may not be Jedi or Sith. Just like Mas Amedda, the one who wanted Rey to have the saber, mentioned she was Force sensitive but she was a good person. Snoke may have knowledge of the Force and a Force sensitive but he may only be using it for Evil.

Mas Amedda is not in the film. Maz Kanata.

You heard it here first. :rulez:

Episode 8 spoiler.

Rey's father is:

The Darkside took one from the Skywalker lineage. The light took one back as well.

800px-Palpatine243154.jpg

I liked the sequence, but those cargo ship monsters weren't so great.

That bad CG really stood out. One of my least favorite parts. And I'm not one of those people who are so against the use of it either.

Im trying to remember the point of that scene...

how did it progress the plot?

Han & the rest were cornered by the two gangs of thugs. The creatures busting out allowed them to escape.

I'm still thinking its a good possibility Snoke is Darth Plagueis. Heck he even looks a bit like the figure. And his face/head looks all battle damaged. As if he survived death.

https://search.yahoo.com/search/?p=Darth_Plagueis+figure&fr=spigot-chr-ffmac&type=808263&ilc=12&ei=UTF8

Plagueis isn't canon anymore, so Snoke is...Snoke.

Also, why do the bad guys keep building Death Stars with a single point of failure ? :facepalm: I'd like to see them win for a change.

The Resistance wouldn't have been able to determine any weakness without Finn's help. If he hadn't defected they would have attacked the main control HQ of the weapon and not the regulator (miles away).

I'm still thinking its a good possibility Snoke is Darth Plagueis. Heck he even looks a bit like the figure. And his face/head looks all battle damaged. As if he survived death.

https://search.yahoo.com/search/?p=Darth_Plagueis+figure&fr=spigot-chr-ffmac&type=808263&ilc=12&ei=UTF8

I am pretty sure Snoke is Plagueis.

He looks just like him from the book.

For me is almost a forgone conclusion just as Ben Solo was Kylo Ren.

Since when is Plagueis not canon????

Plagueis is canon. Palpatine namedrops him in Revenge of the Sith, which while largely ignored, is still canon.

No he's still canon. They haven't removed anything from the PT.

Even though Disney announced what is there "true cannon" are going forward I still think if a Star Wars logo is on the product it is all cannon that can be cherry picked for these movies.

In the books or comic books I forget which Ben was the name of Luke's kid so for this movie they used Ben for the name of Han's kid.

I think JJ took some stuff from Dark Horse Dark Empire as well.

I am telling you guys Rey is Emperor palpatine's....just you guys watch. :preach:

Even though Disney announced what is there "true cannon" are going forward I still think if a Star Wars logo is on the product it is all cannon that can be cherry picked for these movies.

In the books or comic books I forget which Ben was the name of Luke's kid so for this movie they used Ben for the name of Han's kid.

I think JJ took some stuff from Dark Horse Dark Empire as well.

I am telling you guys Rey is the emperior's kid....just you guys watch. :preach:

That would be a really great twist if it happens that way.

Very Good! 8/10. Loved Finn and Ray thought their chemistry was good. Pacing dropped off slightly in the middle and wasn't really a rousing ending. Loved seeing Han, Harrison Ford, what a great actor, the heart and soul of the Star Wars movies?

My only real disappointment was there was no stand out scene visually, no breathtaking action sequence. All well done but nothing exceptional.

Will watch again on Sunday though :)

After watching the previews of several other movies at the theater, I thought we are so spoiled now. Such great special effects are seen in so many dramatic world busting movies. Not the same as when one little SF movie hit the scene back in 1977.

But the movie roared through all of the early scenes. Fast action and drama and new characters all thrown together for one scene after another. It's not your old Star Wars and it isn't the warp drive complex new Star Trek. It's a new world with at least two more new movies to vanquish the First Order.

I liked it. :headbang: