• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

Most of us who've been on the boards for a while and had at least a passing interest in SA DCs well remember Zaid desperately trying to flog his 9.2 copy for a seeming eternity, with zero takers.

I'd hardly call his outrageous asking price an "offering". Didn't he immediately ask for something like triple the price he paid?

Hardly. He paid such a high price that he was just trying to break even.

I believe it took 3 or 4 years for him to sell the book. And I believe he either broke even or sold at a slight loss. Didn't Metro broker the deal for him?

True but the market sure has changed since those days. I still can't believe that people are paying $1,000+ for modern keys.

Most of us who've been on the boards for a while and had at least a passing interest in SA DCs well remember Zaid desperately trying to flog his 9.2 copy for a seeming eternity, with zero takers.

I'd hardly call his outrageous asking price an "offering". Didn't he immediately ask for something like triple the price he paid?

I believe it took 3 or 4 years for him to sell the book. And I believe he either broke even or sold at a slight loss. Didn't Metro broker the deal for him?

True but the market sure has changed since those days. I still can't believe that people are paying $1,000+ for modern keys.

Near zero inflation rates. Increase in the speed of money and it's valuation.

Near zero inflation rates. Increase in the speed of money and it's valuation.

Yes of course but I'm not spending $1K+ on a modern just because its the 1st appearance of some irrelevant character. I did once pay $15 for a Daredevil #160 a few months after its initial release! :tonofbricks:

Aman;

When I first restarted my comic hobbying around 1976, SC 4 was THE SA book to own. In fact it held that distinction for another 18 years until the AMAZING 1994 when Overstreet went wild and repriced the top books at HUGE increases over 1993.

AF 15 took the lead it has never since surrendered with a 186% increase up to $20,000 in NM. Virtually all of OSPG's top 20 had big increases except for ADV 247 which remained flat and B&B 28 which went up "only" 18%.

I suspect AF 15 is simply uncatchable, and SC 4 has slipped to #4, but the Flash and friends may be in for a surge based on all of the DC Movie news.

Back on topic; why did the Hulk 1 super restored 9.8 destroy it's SC 4 counterpart?

Harry, what were relative prices back in 1976 for these books?

I have no idea and don't have an old Overstreet around for reference.

The reason I ask is because when the actual price doesn't 'matter' (meaning it doesn't cost as much as a house to own a nice copy) then you can pick and choose much more easily which book is more important.

But as prices reach numbers that can be life changing, the criteria for 'owning the most important book' changes drastically.

And does anyone remember what precipitated the changes in the OSPG in 993/94?

Was it because of Spider-man's popularity or was it that famed Sotheby's auction when a copy of AF #15 broke $50K?

In OSPG issue 8 which is the earliest I have from 1978 (when I started collecting)

Showcase 4 was:

$100 Good

$300 Fine

$450 Mint

AF 15 was:

$120 Good

$240 Fine

$360 Mint

Interesting differences. Lower grade AF15 was slightly more. Higher grades SC4 was more.

Just for giggles:

Hulk 1 was :

$80 Good

$160 Fine

$240 Mint

And as for only applying to high grade examples...lets all wait and see when that happens and we can revisit this thread.

So if a 9.0 or 9.2 SC 4 comes up for a sale and doesn`t come close to matching the recent sales prices for Hulk 1 in 9.0 and 9.2, will YOU eat Roy`s shorts?

I'll gladly admit I was wrong. From what i've seen, Roy doesn't wear shorts. Mostly long pants in strange outfits.

And I really don't get the hostility from you guys about comic books. We are having a discussion about value. You disagree with me. I asked for information. Another boardie (Gotham Kid) was nice enough to provide some.

It's this sense of entitlement among you older board members that rubs this NOOB the wrong way. I'm supposed to know you are a high end DC collector? If you are, say so and give some details on why you think so. Not, this is the gospel because I'm a long time collector.

You guys really need to get over your sense of importance here. It doesn't exist.

What hostility? All I said was that point for point, Hulk 1 would go more for SC 4, which I later qualified to mean in higher grades.

I never criticized you or said you were an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for believing otherwise, I was simply expressing a different opinion. You were the one with a chip on your shoulder stridently demanding to know what data I had to support my opinion.

So I think you need to get over yourself.

I have a vague recollection that he was already trying to sell his copy within a short period of buying it. What prompted him to try to get rid of it? Did he find a better one, meaning it became his undercopy?

???

He was never a collector of the book. He bought it as a short-term flip.

What hostility? All I said was that point for point, Hulk 1 would go more for SC 4, which I later qualified to mean in higher grades.

I never criticized you or said you were an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for believing otherwise, I was simply expressing a different opinion. You were the one with a chip on your shoulder stridently demanding to know what data I had to support my opinion.

No, I don't. :baiting:

You claimed that Hulk 1 sells for "multiples of SC4" in higher grades and in 9.2...Hulk 1 would win.

I said that's great speculation but there is no data. I asked for the data.

You are the one who said it wasn't worth explaining it if I thought you were full of it.

I never said you were full of it. I said it was speculative unless there was data that you could show to prove it.

I live by data every single day in my job. It's what I do, so when people throw out hyperbole without facts backing it up (even if they are an expert), I ask for data. It's the only way to prove what you claimed was true.

Instead you became indignant that it wasn't worth your time because I thought you were full of it. When in fact, all I did was ask for data backing up your claim.

In summary, you are the one who needs to get over yourself as the big time DC collector.

All I asked for was information. You had the chip.

Marc

I have a vague recollection that he was already trying to sell his copy within a short period of buying it. What prompted him to try to get rid of it? Did he find a better one, meaning it became his undercopy?

???

He was never a collector of the book. He bought it as a short-term flip.

correct, it was immediately for sale at $125K asking.

When in fact, all I did was ask for data backing up your claim.

You asked for the information in such a belligerent fashion, making it sound as if I was a liar if I couldn`t provide data to your satisfaction.

Sorry, I don`t need to play your game or prove anything to you.

Do you still feel that way after the results of the 7.5? Not a 9.2 but the result was very strong

When in fact, all I did was ask for data backing up your claim.

You asked for the information in such a belligerent fashion, making it sound as if I was a liar if I couldn`t provide data to your satisfaction.

Sorry, I don`t need to play your game or prove anything to you.

Get over yourself. You can read that much into my one post? lol

I never called you a liar or played a game. I called you out on your claim.

I understand you now. You're a big shot in Hong Kong and we should all bow to your DC knowledge prowess. Thanks for the clarification.

(worship)

No, I don't. :baiting:

You claimed that Hulk 1 sells for "multiples of SC4" in higher grades and in 9.2...Hulk 1 would win.

I said that's great speculation but there is no data. I asked for the data.

You are the one who said it wasn't worth explaining it if I thought you were full of it.

I never said you were full of it. I said it was speculative unless there was data that you could show to prove it.

I live by data every single day in my job. It's what I do, so when people throw out hyperbole without facts backing it up (even if they are an expert), I ask for data. It's the only way to prove what you claimed was true.

Instead you became indignant that it wasn't worth your time because I thought you were full of it. When in fact, all I did was ask for data backing up your claim.

In summary, you are the one who needs to get over yourself as the big time DC collector.

All I asked for was information. You had the chip.

Marc

dataicon1.gif

lol