• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

Most of us who've been on the boards for a while and had at least a passing interest in SA DCs well remember Zaid desperately trying to flog his 9.2 copy for a seeming eternity, with zero takers.

I'd hardly call his outrageous asking price an "offering". Didn't he immediately ask for something like triple the price he paid?

???

We shall see. I'd love to see SA DCs get some respect.

Not while I still need a whole bunch though!

;)

And as for only applying to high grade examples...lets all wait and see when that happens and we can revisit this thread.

So if a 9.0 or 9.2 SC 4 comes up for a sale and doesn`t come close to matching the recent sales prices for Hulk 1 in 9.0 and 9.2, will YOU eat Roy`s shorts?

Most of us who've been on the boards for a while and had at least a passing interest in SA DCs well remember Zaid desperately trying to flog his 9.2 copy for a seeming eternity, with zero takers.

I'd hardly call his outrageous asking price an "offering". Didn't he immediately ask for something like triple the price he paid?

Hardly. He paid such a high price that he was just trying to break even.

I believe it took 3 or 4 years for him to sell the book. And I believe he either broke even or sold at a slight loss. Didn't Metro broker the deal for him?

4. It was a CGC restored 9.2 that was simply resubmitted to CBCS and graded a 9.8. This would command the least dollar relative to it's original sale IMHO. It would also be downright misrepresentation/fraud.

That is simply incorrect (to be incredibly polite). Anyone who knows the people at CBCS knows such a thing would not be possible. I doubt even the CBCS haters would make such an assertion.

And as for only applying to high grade examples...lets all wait and see when that happens and we can revisit this thread.

So if a 9.0 or 9.2 SC 4 comes up for a sale and doesn`t come close to matching the recent sales prices for Hulk 1 in 9.0 and 9.2, will YOU eat Roy`s shorts?

I'll gladly admit I was wrong. From what i've seen, Roy doesn't wear shorts. Mostly long pants in strange outfits.

And I really don't get the hostility from you guys about comic books. We are having a discussion about value. You disagree with me. I asked for information. Another boardie (Gotham Kid) was nice enough to provide some.

It's this sense of entitlement among you older board members that rubs this NOOB the wrong way. I'm supposed to know you are a high end DC collector? If you are, say so and give some details on why you think so. Not, this is the gospel because I'm a long time collector.

You guys really need to get over your sense of importance here. It doesn't exist.

Aman;

When I first restarted my comic hobbying around 1976, SC 4 was THE SA book to own. In fact it held that distinction for another 18 years until the AMAZING 1994 when Overstreet went wild and repriced the top books at HUGE increases over 1993.

AF 15 took the lead it has never since surrendered with a 186% increase up to $20,000 in NM. Virtually all of OSPG's top 20 had big increases except for ADV 247 which remained flat and B&B 28 which went up "only" 18%.

I suspect AF 15 is simply uncatchable, and SC 4 has slipped to #4, but the Flash and friends may be in for a surge based on all of the DC Movie news.

Back on topic; why did the Hulk 1 super restored 9.8 destroy it's SC 4 counterpart?

Back on topic; why did the Hulk 1 super restored 9.8 destroy it's SC 4 counterpart?

It's a really good question. What was the final hammer price on the Hulk 1 9.8R?

I missed it.

That's just so hard to even speculate why one would go for so much higher. Obviously, there had to be more competition on the Hulk 1. Bidding was up early on the Hulk also. Interesting to say the least.

I'm sure others have thoughts on why.

The 9.6 CBCS Hulk 1 winner ( can't recall where it was auctioned) mustn't have appreciated a 9.8 showing up so that would certainly account for one of the bidders.

I believe it took 3 or 4 years for him to sell the book. And I believe he either broke even or sold at a slight loss. Didn't Metro broker the deal for him?

I have a vague recollection that he was already trying to sell his copy within a short period of buying it. What prompted him to try to get rid of it? Did he find a better one, meaning it became his undercopy?

???

I have a vague recollection that he was already trying to sell his copy within a short period of buying it. What prompted him to try to get rid of it? Did he find a better one, meaning it became his undercopy?

???

SC 4 in 9.2 undercopy... :cloud9:

Oh man! So pretty! With no pedigree it makes me wonder what the backstory of this copy was. Did a little old lady buy it for her grandson, put it aside in a drawer for him with some other magazines and then forget about it for twenty years?

???

That is just amazing. I picture that thing feeling like one of those wooden lacquer wall hangings.

lol

In igb's defense, while the first books they worked ended up with covers that were noticeably less pliable than original covers, they adjusted their techniques and newer books apparently have covers that feel ok.

Whether the extent of the resto is such that CGC would reject the books remains an open question. At least, I think it's still open. Matt Nelson seemed to be implying as much, but I guess we won't know definitively until someone tries to resubmit one of these books to CGC -- a pretty unlikely event, I would think.

In their writeup ComicConnect claims " This is the highest-graded Showcase 4 in existence and a quintessential addition to the ultimate Silver Age collection."

I woukld really have to argue that. At best they could say "This is the highest APPARENT grade in existence", which is a much different thing.