• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

Tell us how you really feel lol

I am sorry but those books are a disgrace to the comic hobby.

I would have more respect for an X-Force #1 in CGC .5 incomplete green label than ever having an pride in owning that SC 4 or Hulk #1 in a 9.8 restored grade.

Only an absolute insufficiently_thoughtful_person and knows nothing about money would bid on these throw up copies

Find me the trash can is where I would appreciate those books.

I personally agree with you.

I think it's a joke because it's a full cover recreation. I'd be happy with a Coverless copy and repro cover. It's basically the same thing at this point. Who can tell what was original and what was not from these books? Way too much resto for me.

But, if someone wants it...I won't fault them.

tth2 was primarily a highest graded DC collector back in the day and he understands that market well. Probably better than most (although I disagreed with him on what an Adventure #247 would sell for in high grade).

For him to say that a SA Marvel would eclipse a SA DC is a big thing. It takes a lot for a DC collector openly admit that. lol

Duh, Marvels have always gone for a lot more than DCs. I have no problem admitting that the public has bad taste! :baiting:

I know people like to speculate but I'd eat my shorts on video if a Showcase #4 ever broke $1MIL. Heck, I'd eat my 1/2 my shorts if it went for half of that. I can't even believe people are thinking along those lines.

So a highest graded Showcase #4 is going to sell for as much as an Amazing Fantasy #15 or a Hulk #1 in top grade?

People, time for a reality check. This is the Flash. lol

Yeah, no way.

I've been a marvel guy my whole life and even I got caught up with the great Flash TV show and the movie coming that I said to myself...this seems like a book with legs. Not only did I like the stories but the show made the character much more impressive to me. I'm not sure what it was because I didn't latch on to other DC characters in recent years.

There are multiple people on this board who don't know what they're talking about, don't know who they're talking to, and don't acknowledge and/or respect experience.

It's one thing to not know...it's another to display attitude in that ignorance. Having an attitude that isn't called for, and is not justified, is the central characteristic of being a noob.

If I want to know about the ultra high grade Silver Age DC market...there are few people on this board who know that market, and have experience in that market, as much as tth.

Is that too controversial to say...? Let's hope not.

Blah blah blah

The 9.8 resto copy sold for $15k.

The blue copies sold for 29.7k for the 5.0 and 78.5k for the 7.5

Last 7.5 Hulk 1 sold for $43,000 last month. Last 5.0 sold for $15,500.

I think I know what I'm talking about also despite some of you so called experts.

This is DATA!

tth2 was primarily a highest graded DC collector back in the day and he understands that market well. Probably better than most (although I disagreed with him on what an Adventure #247 would sell for in high grade).

For him to say that a SA Marvel would eclipse a SA DC is a big thing. It takes a lot for a DC collector openly admit that. lol

Duh, Marvels have always gone for a lot more than DCs. I have no problem admitting that the public has bad taste! :baiting:

Yes. That's what causes the kinked demand curve to which I referred earlier.

:whistle:

On the basis of storyline and interior art quality though (and perhaps scarcity as well), Showcase 8 is a much better comic than Showcase 4. And none of the Flash Showcase issues have cover art approaching that of Flash 105 or 106.

:preach:

Blah blah blah

I think I know what I'm talking about also despite some of you so called experts.

This is DATA!

First thanks for these results... (thumbs u

This thread about the 9.8 took an interesting turn into Hulk 1 vs SC 4 slabbed unrestored books. Numerous folks pointed out how SC 4 couldn't compete with Hulk 1.

I for one would like to hear what they have to say now that this auction is over. :tonofbricks:

While we are only talking about single sale copies here, it would seem that comparably CGC graded copies of each book at two different grade levels produced a SC 4 ROUT.

A +83% pounding on the 7.5's and another +92% pounding on the 5.0's.

I realize that these results are far from being statistically valid, but it does make a dramatic statement to those who claim the Flash can't carry the Hulk's jock... :sumo:

AND, this might just dispel some of the recent doom and gloom over the future values of DC books due to the critical lambasting that S v B has taken...

Seems nowadays, when a sleepy key suddenly gets hot in the market. The prices spike dramatically high, due to furious competitive bidding. We have seen quite a few recent examples of this. Showcase seems to be high on many want lists again after a long dormant period. Rinse and repeat.

This thread about the 9.8 took an interesting turn into Hulk 1 vs SC 4 slabbed unrestored books. Numerous folks pointed out how SC 4 couldn't compete with Hulk 1.

I for one would like to hear what they have to say now that this auction is over. :tonofbricks:

While we are only talking about single sale copies here, it would seem that comparably CGC graded copies of each book at two different grade levels produced a SC 4 ROUT.

I realize that these results are far from being statistically valid, but it does make a dramatic statement to those who claim the Flash can't carry the Hulk's jock... :sumo:

Hi Harry! :hi: My comments only applied to high grade copies, but I'd almost (but not quite!) be prepared to eat Roy's shorts if SC 4 matched Hulk 1 in 9.0 and above, even on an adjusted basis (e.g., 9.6 SC 4 matched against 9.4 Hulk 1, 9.4 SC 4 matched against 9.2 Hulk 1, etc.).

I'm kind of laughing at whoever's paying these kinds of prices for SC4. This was a book that has been pretty dead since the mid-80s. Most of us who've been on the boards for a while and had at least a passing interest in SA DCs well remember Zaid desperately trying to flog his 9.2 copy for a seeming eternity, with zero takers.

AND, this might just dispel some of the recent doom and gloom over the future values of DC books due to the critical lambasting that S v B has taken...

We shall see. I'd love to see SA DCs get some respect.

Most of us who've been on the boards for a while and had at least a passing interest in SA DCs well remember Zaid desperately trying to flog his 9.2 copy for a seeming eternity, with zero takers.

Wanted 100k or sold for 100k can't recall which.

Timing is everything? Couldn't give away AllStar 8, More Fun 73, ANY Aquaman issue for a long time. Showcase 4 was a dog. Things change. Will prices crash? Probably soften as the frenzy to get a copy subsides, but all of these books and plenty more are on the map now and aren't barking or eating Alpo.

These are definitely shaping up as a DC resurgence of some magnitude... We'll have to see where it all goes from here.

Hi Harry! :hi: My comments only applied to high grade copies, but I'd almost (but not quite!) be prepared to eat Roy's shorts if SC 4 matched Hulk 1 in 9.0 and above, even on an adjusted basis (e.g., 9.6 SC 4 matched against 9.4 Hulk 1, 9.4 SC 4 matched against 9.2 Hulk 1, etc.).

I'm kind of laughing at whoever's paying these kinds of prices for SC4. This was a book that has been pretty dead since the mid-80s. Most of us who've been on the boards for a while and had at least a passing interest in SA DCs well remember Zaid desperately trying to flog his 9.2 copy for a seeming eternity, with zero takers.

Prepare to eat some shorts.

Plus, Roy said we need to get real...this is the Flash! Guess what, it kicked The Hulk's green butt in hammer price last night.

And, I was 100% right in my prediction based on recent SC4 and Hulk 1 sales data.

And, quite honestly...I like The Flash a lot better than The Hulk. The Hulk comics are a joke story wise. Anyone who actually reads these stories can't tell me The Hulk is a better book.

Anyway, I'm happy to know this Non DC "noob" called it over you DC experts.

And as for only applying to high grade examples...lets all wait and see when that happens and we can revisit this thread.

Blah blah blah

This is DATA!

First thanks for these results... (thumbs u

Thanks buddy. I appreciate this post.

:headbang:

Prepare to eat some shorts.

Plus, Roy said we need to get real...this is the Flash! Guess what, it kicked The Hulk's green butt in hammer price last night.

And, I was 100% right in my prediction based on recent SC4 and Hulk 1 sales data.

And, quite honestly...I like The Flash a lot better than The Hulk. The Hulk comics are a joke story wise. Anyone who actually reads these stories can't tell me The Hulk is a better book.

Anyway, I'm happy to know this Non DC "noob" called it over you DC experts.

And as for only applying to high grade examples...lets all wait and see when that happens and we can revisit this thread.

11saua.gif