• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

After many years of good luck I may have run into my first scam from a buyer on E-Bay.  Guy bought a $20 book and said he didn't agree with the grade so I had him ship it on back to get the refund.  I received an empty box yesterday so now I've got E-Bay on the case.  I don't have high hopes after hearing all the bad results other sellers have had with this kind of thing.

Edited by 1Cool

On 11/9/2021 at 6:53 AM, 1Cool said:

After many years of good luck I may have run into my first scam from a buyer on E-Bay.  Guy bought a $20 book and said he didn't agree with the grade so I had him ship it on back to get the refund.  I received an empty box yesterday so now I've got E-Bay on the case.  I don't have high hopes after hearing all the bad results other buyers have had with this kind of thing.

I hope the good guys win!

On 11/9/2021 at 8:53 AM, 1Cool said:

After many years of good luck I may have run into my first scam from a buyer on E-Bay.  Guy bought a $20 book and said he didn't agree with the grade so I had him ship it on back to get the refund.  I received an empty box yesterday so now I've got E-Bay on the case.  I don't have high hopes after hearing all the bad results other buyers have had with this kind of thing.

Sorry to hear this. Here is a thread where someone tried to send an empty case that was eventually won. May want to read and see if a similar situation could help you prevail. 

Had a buyer make an offer on a book - the offer was fair and I intended to accept but something came up and I missed the deadline - bad on me, but it happens. They made a second offer for a few dollars more and added a message that they really wanted the book but that was their ceiling. I thought, hey, why not be a nice guy and maybe gain a repeat customer - I messaged them and told them I was countering at their original (lower) offer price to be fair to them because I neglected to accept it when I intended to - which is what I did. Guess what? Crickets. So no sale.

Not a huge deal, but I guess I learned to just accept the offers and not try to be nice! xD(shrug)

On 11/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, littledoom said:

I hope the good guys win!

Unfortunately the bad guys won this round.  elliota_66 sent me an empty box and E-Bay sided with him since he had a confirmation number showing delivery.  I provided E-Bay with the tracking number which showed a very low weight for the package and E-Bay still sided with them.  I've blocked the guy and I'm only out $23 but it's my first scammer in over a decade of selling books on E-Bay.  I guess I'll have to start video taping me opening up the few return packages I get.  

On 11/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, 1Cool said:

Unfortunately the bad guys won this round.  elliota_66 sent me an empty box and E-Bay sided with him since he had a confirmation number showing delivery.  I provided E-Bay with the tracking number which showed a very low weight for the package and E-Bay still sided with them.  I've blocked the guy and I'm only out $23 but it's my first scammer in over a decade of selling books on E-Bay.  I guess I'll have to start video taping me opening up the few return packages I get.  

where is he located?

On 11/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, 1Cool said:

Did you pay with a Credit Card? Even if ebay sided with them you can still get the card company to file a charge back. 

On 11/12/2021 at 10:02 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Did you pay with a Credit Card? Even if ebay sided with them you can still get the card company to file a charge back. 

I'm the seller in this case and he sent me an empty box rather then return my book which I'm sure happens more then we know since E-Bay almost always sides with the buyer.  I do agree the $23 price is just too low for me to think they would go through the effort but here we are.  I e-mailed the guy twice to see if it was a mistake and they never replyed to either of them.  Oh well - he is blocked and I'll move on.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:10 AM, 1Cool said:

I'm the seller in this case and he sent me an empty box rather then return my book which I'm sure happens more then we know since E-Bay almost always sides with the buyer.  I do agree the $23 price is just too low for me to think they would go through the effort but here we are.  I e-mailed the guy twice to see if it was a mistake and they never replyed to either of them.  Oh well - he is blocked and I'll move on.

Really sorry to hear this one. Some people are just POS... Hope gets what he deserves... 

I'm sorry that his happened to you.

I would eventually like to get into selling comics but it is stories like this that keep me from taking the jump.  I don't have the finances and energy to deal with losses that happen this way.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:04 AM, LudaToke said:

I'm sorry that his happened to you.

I would eventually like to get into selling comics but it is stories like this that keep me from taking the jump.  I don't have the finances and energy to deal with losses that happen this way.

Ebay is a high risk environment for buying/selling comics. Id recommend this board or MCS.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:08 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Ebay is a high risk environment for buying/selling comics. Id recommend this board or MCS.

Within he last year I have purchased around 50 books off ebay and all the transactions went through without an issue so I guess I got lucky.  Having said that, the risk to sellers seems to be WAY higher than for the buyers.  I have lurked on the sales boards and there are some great deals but not always stuff that I am trying to hunt down.  The reviews and threads on here for MCS seem really positive as well.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:45 AM, 1Cool said:

I’d take pics instead of videos. eBay doesn’t take videos. They can be “edited”. That’s what a rep told me (pics can be altered too). 

On 11/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, littledoom said:

I’d take pics instead of videos. eBay doesn’t take videos. They can be “edited”. That’s what a rep told me (pics can be altered too). 

If they'd edit the stupid out of their policies, I'd use them

On 11/12/2021 at 8:45 AM, 1Cool said:

Maybe not worth the trip for $23 but there is always the option to file a claim with USPS. It takes time but you eventually get your money back.