• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

This is why you have to pay attention. I was looking for a book - very low value which is good - and I put a few on watch. One had a best offer enabled so I made an offer. A message pops up a few minutes later with the lower price so I complete the purchase. And then a few minutes later another message pops up saying my offer was accepted and to complete the deal. Yep, the first message was from the watchlist and the seller made me an offer. I assumed it was the offer I made. Then the other seller accepted my offer. So now I have two. 

Wow - this week feels like somebody flipped a switch.  It's been so crazy busy for the last 8 months that I may have become use to responding to offers and packing up stacks of books but it has been eerily quiet over the last week.  This time of year has usually been slow but I don't remember a slower week in quite awhile.  Hopefully it will pick up in the next few weeks but who knows.

Feel like I got swindled. Sold a cgc book, packaged well in medium flat rate. I shipped about 10 books this week. All other 9 were fine.  Buyer showed me pictures of the box basically split i half and cgc slab cracked all over. I offered full refund to send back or partial because i dont have time to deal with usps insurance claims right now. 

My theory, and I might be wrong. Buyer is buying 9.0-9.4 slabs, damaging them on purpose, and asking for partial refunds in the amount to cover the crack, slab, press, shipping fees and hoping for higher grades. If true, I really hate people. 

Going forward, I wont offer partials for anything ever. Just have too much going on right now and over 50 listings to package and ship. 

Edited by jason4

On 10/1/2021 at 8:23 AM, jason4 said:

Feel like I got swindled. Sold a cgc book, packaged well in medium flat rate. I shipped about 10 books this week. All other 9 were fine.  Buyer showed me pictures of the box basically split i half and cgc slab cracked all over. I offered full refund to send back or partial because i dont have time to deal with usps insurance claims right now. 

My theory, and I might be wrong. Buyer is buying 9.0-9.4 slabs, damaging them on purpose, and asking for partial refunds in the amount to cover the crack, slab, press, shipping fees and hoping for higher grades. If true, I really hate people. 

Going forward, I wont offer partials for anything ever. Just have too much going on right now and over 50 listings to package and ship. 

You may be able to look up his buying history if it’s recent enough by comparing to sold items and then contacting previous sellers to see if there’s a history of him pulling the same thing with them. 
  I feel you with the insurance claims but if you sell enough books, it can add up quickly especially if you intend on getting them reslabbed 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, paperheart said:

Ebay now warning that graphic novels are not eligible for media mail. This a first for me.

Even the ones with no advertising? I don't sell any, but how do they differ from paperbacks? 

On 10/4/2021 at 4:31 PM, Badlands said:

Exactly. Media mail is for stuff with no ads, GNs do not have ads.

I looked to see if their definitions changed (like their postage;) but they seem to be the same. A graphic novel is NOT a comic book. Comic books do have ads.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

On 10/4/2021 at 1:35 PM, skypinkblu said:

I looked to see if their definitions changed (like their postage;) but they seem to be the same. A graphic novel is NOT a comic book. Comic books do have ads.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

seemed to the The Wolves of Saint August; i changed it to first class shipping. Have they always paid attention to this type of thing?

On 10/4/2021 at 4:57 PM, paperheart said:

seemed to the The Wolves of Saint August; i changed it to first class shipping. Have they always paid attention to this type of thing?

I don't remember selling graphic novels, but I did sell my art book collection and a bunch of kids books when they were no longer of interest. Both had pictures and text, but no ads.

So I'm not sure how they would differentiate...I don't see anything about "word balloons" in the text;) 

Some times I think new people who show up and just make up stuff.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 10/4/2021 at 2:38 PM, paperheart said:

Ebay now warning that graphic novels are not eligible for media mail. This a first for me.

Here is the exact email I got from Ebay:

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Your account has active listings that offer USPS Media Mail as a shipping service option in categories that aren’t eligible for Media Mail under USPS rules.
In addition, eBay Labels">eBay Labels does not support shipping label printing for Media Mail in these categories.

In order to prevent buyers from selecting Media Mail for listings that aren’t eligible for the service, we recommend you update your active listings to remove Media Mail as a shipping service option for items in those categories. For new listings in those categories, Media Mail won’t be an available shipping service.

Below is a summary of the top categories in which you have the most active listings. Please note that you may have active listings in additional categories:
Category ID: 259104
Number of listings:   10
Category Name: COLLECTIBLES:COMIC BOOKS & MEMORABILIA:COMICS:COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS

However, immediately after I read this email, I received an email stating that an item had sold (10 issues of Spectacular Spider-Man). Even though I knew it was wrong, I planned on shipping using Media Mail. I was able to print a shipping label as I normally do, despite this warning.

Does this new directive only apply to new listings?

I am not going to change my listings until I know how this is going to work.

Edited by Math Teacher

I just received this email from Ebay:

Today, an email concerning Media Mail was sent to you in error (subject: “USPS Media Mail isn’t available for some categories”). Please disregard the email.

No changes are being made to categories that are eligible for printing labels with Media Mail at this time and you do not need to take any action.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you for selling on eBay,

Your Selling Team

So, it seems that this crisis has been averted.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:20 PM, Math Teacher said:

I just received this email from Ebay:

Today, an email concerning Media Mail was sent to you in error (subject: “USPS Media Mail isn’t available for some categories”). Please disregard the email.

No changes are being made to categories that are eligible for printing labels with Media Mail at this time and you do not need to take any action.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you for selling on eBay,

Your Selling Team

So, it seems that this crisis has been averted.

me too, after permanently deleting 40 or so listings in a huff lol