• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,177 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 10:25 AM, D84 said:

I didn't say never work again, but if you are arrested for this behavior, most companies would fire you. That's been around long before cancel culture.

TBH, I'm not sure that I would get fired for getting arrested on the weekend, and it's also worth noting that you're not the demographic I am chastising.

I'm trying to focus on the bigger picture while also not supporting Miller's actions. He violated the NAP by assaulting another person, which he should have compunction for, and be reprimanded . Considering that he was arrested twice in such short time also should give WB pause to determine whether or not his PR problems are workable or not worth future effort.

I'm just not on the side of the fence that feels so certain that he should be banished.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

TBH, I'm not sure that I would get fired for getting arrested on the weekend, and it's also worth noting that you're not the demographic I am chastising.

Are you talking about in general here for everyone or just you?  If it is in general, there are MANY jobs and instances both in the private and public sector where if you are arrested for anything regarding your personal life, you are subsequently fired.

That has been the way it is since the dawn of time. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 4/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Buzzetta said:

Are you talking about in general here for everyone or just you?  If it is in general, there are MANY jobs and instances both in the private and public sector where if you are arrested for anything regarding your personal life, you are subsequently fired.

That has been the way it is since the dawn of time. 

Doesn't seem like an efficient blanket.

On 4/21/2022 at 4:25 AM, D84 said:

I didn't say never work again, but if you are arrested for this behavior, most companies would fire you. That's been around long before cancel culture.

Not only are you fired, but when future employers go through your resume, the firing thing gets held against you. Nothing there about cancel culture, it's doing due diligence on potential applicants. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm trying to focus on the bigger picture while also not supporting Miller's actions. He violated the NAP by assaulting another person, which he should have compunction for, and be reprimanded . Considering that he was arrested twice in such short time also should give WB pause to determine whether or not his PR problems are workable or not worth future effort.

I'm just not on the side of the fence that feels so certain that he should be banished.

Many employers require adherance to a code of conduct. Getting arrested, regardless of a conviction would fall in that category of potentially being fired. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:45 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Doesn't seem like an efficient blanket.

how in the world this guy wasn't fired after the first arrest is beyond me. it's not like he's a household name, where they would be an outrage over firing the Flash guy. I bet most of the general populace doesn't even know who he is. He was an ensemble cast member in the DC universe, not even close to a franchise star. Easily replaceable. 

This to me, sums up the lack of direction within WB. Remember Marvel fired James Gunn, a guy who took D list characters (Guardians of the Galaxy) and built a franchise around them, 3 films and counting. Some internet warrior drudges through his past tweets from years ago and they fire him over that. Swift decisive action. Not neccesarily the popular or right choice, but they took action. Later, it seemed they realized their mistake and brought back. There's a similar thing unfolding where they may replace or reduce Shuri's role. But at least they seem to have some direction behind their moves. 

On the other hand, WB doesn't seem to be doing anything with Miller. Just letting him go on his merry way and acting out. Better to axe him, cauterize the wound and do some early damage control. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:40 PM, Lpgk said:

Many employers require adherance to a code of conduct. Getting arrested, regardless of a conviction would fall in that category of potentially being fired. 

Can't say that I've ever read a code of conduct that covers your personal life, other than making sure that one adheres to passing drug tests.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:18 PM, Lpgk said:

how in the world this guy wasn't fired after the first arrest is beyond me. it's not like he's a household name, where they would be an outrage over firing the Flash guy. I bet most of the general populace doesn't even know who he is. He was an ensemble cast member in the DC universe, not even close to a franchise star. Easily replaceable. 

This to me, sums up the lack of direction within WB. Remember Marvel fired James Gunn, a guy who took D list characters (Guardians of the Galaxy) and built a franchise around them, 3 films and counting. Some internet warrior drudges through his past tweets from years ago and they fire him over that. Swift decisive action. Not neccesarily the popular or right choice, but they took action. Later, it seemed they realized their mistake and brought back. There's a similar thing unfolding where they may replace or reduce Shuri's role. But at least they seem to have some direction behind their moves. 

On the other hand, WB doesn't seem to be doing anything with Miller. Just letting him go on his merry way and acting out. Better to axe him, cauterize the wound and do some early damage control. 

Probably because they're 1 year away from his tentpole film being released and they need him to advertise the movie that he's playing 3 roles in?

Kevin Feige also re-hired him after realizing that cancel culture is just cancer of another name. He's unlikely to fire others because of this lesson.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Can't say that I've ever read a code of conduct that covers your personal life, other than making sure that one adheres to passing drug tests.

Public Sector examples: NYPD, FDNY, Sanitation

Precise example: Sanitation: Code of Conduct - "3.2 Employees shall not bring discredit to the City or the Department by being arrested, issued a desk appearance ticket, indicted and/or charged with the commission of any crime." Note that this is separate from workplace incidents. 

Private sectors examples: Most everyone.  If I am arrested for doing something on my personal time and it becomes known to the public, and my employer feels that these actions are diminish my ability to fulfill my work obligations or portrays the entity in a negative light than I can be disciplined up to and including relief of job responsibilities and employment.   Catholic school teachers have been fired for becoming pregnant out of wedlock.  When I worked for Disney we were explicitly warned that we could be fired if it was discovered we were doing something in our private lives that would cause a distraction to the "Disney Experience".  So if you were at a protest or a stripper on the side and discovered or recognized as such you could be fired because it detracted from the "Disney Experience."

On 4/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, Buzzetta said:

Private sectors examples: Most everyone.  If I am arrested for doing something on my personal time and it becomes known to the public, and my employer feels that these actions are diminish my ability to fulfill my work obligations or portrays the entity in a negative light than I can be disciplined up to and including relief of job responsibilities and employment.   Catholic school teachers have been fired for becoming pregnant out of wedlock.  When I worked for Disney we were explicitly warned that we could be fired if it was discovered we were doing something in our private lives that would cause a distraction to the "Disney Experience".  So if you were at a protest or a stripper on the side and discovered or recognized as such you could be fired because it detracted from the "Disney Experience."

How often does this happen with non-public figures?

Most states are at-will. Hypothetically, you could be pulled over in front of your office for a speeding violation and be terminated. Doesn't mean that would happen.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

How often does this happen with non-public figures?

Most states are at-will. Hypothetically, you could be pulled over in front of your office for a speeding violation and be terminated. Doesn't mean that would happen.

Basically it happens any time some insufficiently_thoughtful_person does something stupid on TikTok, Snapchat, social media.  Remember the woman who called police on the bird watcher who complained to her about not walking her dog on a leash (which she was required her to?)  Yea.. she got fired. https://www.financial-planning.com/articles/franklin-templeton-fires-amy-cooper-after-christian-cooper-park-video-goes-viral This dude in Connecticut: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/24/merrill-lynch-fires-james-iannazzo-after-arrest-for-tiktok-filmed-rant.html  And this Husband and Wife combo (the wife was fired, the husband was placed on leave and allowed to resign.) https://abc7.com/temecula-teacher-fired-racist-comments-viral-tiktok-video-sandra-miller/11531392/  I can keep posting like hundreds of these from just the last few years.

No company cares about a parking/speeding ticket.  But companies DO care about you making the company look bad (even if you didn't actually do it).  

On 4/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Basically it happens any time some insufficiently_thoughtful_person does something stupid on TikTok, Snapchat, social media.  Remember the woman who called police on the bird watcher who complained to her about not walking her dog on a leash (which she was required her to?)  Yea.. she got fired. https://www.financial-planning.com/articles/franklin-templeton-fires-amy-cooper-after-christian-cooper-park-video-goes-viral This dude in Connecticut: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/24/merrill-lynch-fires-james-iannazzo-after-arrest-for-tiktok-filmed-rant.html  And this Husband and Wife combo (the wife was fired, the husband was placed on leave and allowed to resign.) https://abc7.com/temecula-teacher-fired-racist-comments-viral-tiktok-video-sandra-miller/11531392/  I can keep posting like hundreds of these from just the last few years.

No company cares about a parking/speeding ticket.  But companies DO care about you making the company look bad (even if you didn't actually do it).  

I wouldn't say this with certainty. Do you think that it makes the company look worse if you're pulled over in front of the building, or if you got a DUI on Saturday night?

On 4/22/2022 at 9:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wouldn't say this with certainty. Do you think that it makes the company look worse if you're pulled over in front of the building, or if you got a DUI on Saturday night?

i remember at one of my jobs, someone got into an accident in our company parking lot, a lower level employee hit a higher up's. Cops showed up. No one was fired.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

It's almost like there... is... a multiverse... of madness... 

I feel as if Flash has the possibility of being the better movie with the Keaton draw.  However, they are going to play second fiddle as it were to Doctor Strange due to release date when it comes to the inevitable comparison. 

Edited by Buzzetta