• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

The Batman is not an origin story – not for Robert Pattinson's version of the Caped Crusader, anyway. Director Matt Reeves, though, saw the movie as an opportunity to dig into the origins of those characters around Batman. 

"Early on, this idea of doing a serial-killer story popped into my head, and I started thinking about superheroes; the idea of wearing costumes," Reeves tells Total Film over Zoom for the new issue of the magazine, available this Thursday.

"I read Mindhunter. It made me think of the Zodiac killer, and how he actually wore this primitive costume that really is a primitive superhero costume... a rogues’ gallery costume. And I was like, ‘Oh, that’s really scary, the idea of people really wearing masks, and withholding their identities, and terrorizing people, and how scary that is.’ And so I started thinking, 'Well, it could be an origin tale for the Riddler, and it could be an origin tale for some of these other characters.'"

Specifically of the Riddler, who will be played by Paul Dano, Reeves says, "He’s not just a serial killer. He definitely has a political agenda. There’s a terrorist aspect to him. He’s indicting the city for what it is. And one of the things he’s doing with each of these crimes is, he’s attacking the so-called legitimate pillars of the city. The whole point of it was to put [Batman] on the path of trying to solve a mystery that was not only going to reveal the history of the city, and why it’s so corrupt, but that also is going to turn at a point, and become actually quite personal."

On 2/1/2022 at 2:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

What a hero, standing out in the middle of the street to take a pic

He must know all the teenagers in my neighborhood who have absolutely no concept of how a sidewalk works

On 2/1/2022 at 1:41 PM, The Meta said:

What a hero, standing out in the middle of the street to take a pic

He must know all the teenagers in my neighborhood who have absolutely no concept of how a sidewalk works

Erick Weber is an entertainment journalist in the Los Angeles area. So probably standing in the street there to take a picture is like being in a warzone.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

Erick Weber is an entertainment journalist in the Los Angeles area. So probably standing in the street there to take a picture is like being in a warzone.

To be honest I'd be yelling at anybody standing in the middle of the street taking pictures, although if I knew it was a journalist, probably throw an empty water bottle too

On 2/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

Have you seen his later movies? He moved on from that roles years ago.

MV5BZTlmODIyNGUtNDkxOS00ODI5LWE4ZmMtMDBkMDMxNzEwZTJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA4NjE0NjEy._V1_.jpg.5469e38bcccae4ba655b7a2a748bf43a.jpg

download.jpeg.1e9c0441b9843445d5bd3aa46b16c180.jpeg

Both are worth seeing.

you never can move on from pretty glittery vampire technically speaking.