• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,390 posts in this topic

@fantastic_four 

I have to admit that I am tempted by Galactus but not for the Marvel Legends line of 6".  To me, Galactus should be even bigger than this so I think he would be incredible with the 3 3/4" line.  I have a 3 3/4" Silver Surfer that could be cupped in his hands. 

Then... part of me says I should revisit my giant Lego Galactus project but that was started in red and blue as purple is so hard to come by. lol 

Byrne established that Galactus grows and shrinks as his hunger grows or is satiated, so really any size works, and you can easily keep the Toy Biz BAF figure, the Marvel Universe figure, or this Haslab figure and have it work in displays.  He could also be planet sized, but that sounds hard to fit into a display.  :insane:  I generally agree the bigger, the better, so yea, having him displayed with smaller figures makes complete sense.

FYI I think we figured out the first and second stretch goal tiers--first is Silver Surfer with a swirly-twirly cloud display base, and second is Frankie Raye (wish Bryne hadn't named her Nova so people confuse her for Richard Ryder or the Kree Nova Corps, but meh, whatever) also with a flame display base.  Beyond that nobody is sure except that one of the team members claimed that it makes the project an "army builder," and the only army-building item anyone has thought of yet is one of the Punisher robots shown in FF #49 below.  He only deploys one in that issue and it completely dominates the whole FF team, but in later stories he deploys multiple Punishers.

K8dVfT9al2TP9HLBqNLY9obxDE_53lu7ZQ_b1vITa9F7-5KpnEd8J836-vU91aU0n1c7a17QO1Lo=s1600 P2ex6Jv7Bx-p0FgHGG5jQIjQZDebwhAg_K8rVj1kVKib-JP7T33DGv3TjNihy7e7vqQAYekODUqm=s1600 IYamtjBiccFfRP415bZpG-1uzYYmfCprwB_8LHBTfcI57LjUBc7k9q0bwqoUmt5ecrzsogKn7H7V=s1600 jqdtEAvsdOtttLS8HiLJv3RnG3zRkZd6mX7ROHkD1UKkgm9TkJjCylKxjphvbZ5s1-h48XRVWLHi=s1600

Edited by fantastic_four

Oh, and if you didn't see it the Legends team unveiled a Watcher Build-A-Figure shown below.  I thought he looked QUITE strange at first, and I figured out why.  I thought the same thing when I saw Thanos in Infinity War where they had modeled his face after Josh Brolin, and below I think we're seeing the actor Jeffrey Wright (best known now for playing Arnold in Westworld) modeled into that of the Watcher since Wright is doing the voice for Uatu.

marvel-legends-fan-first-wednesday-revea Jeffrey_Wright_cropped_by_David_Shankbon

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/29/2021 at 10:25 AM, fantastic_four said:

Oh, and if you didn't see it the Legends team unveiled a Watcher Build-A-Figure shown below.  I thought he looked QUITE strange at first, and I figured out why.  I thought the same thing when I saw Thanos in Infinity War where they had modeled his face after Josh Brolin, and below I think we're seeing the actor Jeffrey Wright (best known now for playing Arnold in Westworld) modeled into that of the Watcher since Wright is doing the voice for Uatu.

marvel-legends-fan-first-wednesday-revea Jeffrey_Wright_cropped_by_David_Shankbon

I am trying to decide if it is solely Wright or a combination of how they were depicted in GotG2.

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 1.48.22 PM.png

On 7/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, Buzzetta said:

I am trying to decide if it is solely Wright or a combination of how they were depicted in GotG2.

I assume it's a combination.  The first thing I did when I saw the BAF was go back and compare it to the Watchers shown in GotG2 and saw it looked different.  Then I saw the What If promo poster below and realized yep, they did make the BAF look like it's supposed to look to match his appearance in the show.  Then I realized from this poster, wait--he's got dark skin!  Then I remembered Wright is playing him, so they must have taken the GotG2 Watchers and made one look like Wright.

What-If-Key-Art.jpg

So why post a page of art?  I stumbled across this on Metro's website and it spoke more about the toys that we played with as kids than about war or a comic page.   This was the final page in a four page story.  The first three pages depict the 'hero's exploits during WWII as he storms the enemy encampment.  The final pages reveals that the first three pages were the imagination of the boy as his mother calls to him wondering why he is in his dad's study.  As soon as I saw this it was every GI Joe setup I had as a kid. 

I know this is a Plastic Crack thread but it speaks about the toys we collect.   

I finally got the notification that it shipped so it should be safe to post. 

For those that like ads

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Weird-War-Tales-1971/Issue-79?id=35647&readType=1

219809472_10158229817447963_4176979864544138183_n.thumb.jpg.34f70dc772bb0ffd81541358274d1985.jpg

On 7/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, F For Fake said:

Hello all! Long time no see, well, at least a couple of weeks!

Today was the summer KY GIJoe fest. Since I blew a hefty sum on those Sears Dreadnoks sets last month, I didn’t have as much on me this time, so I just focused on getting some small stuff. Finally caved in and bought Gnawgahyde and Road Pig to officially finish my Dreadnoks. Also picked up this Swampfire primarily for the box. The actual vehicle is also nicer than the one I currently have, so I’ll probably sell the dupe.

I picked up these battle stations last year, and now that my Dreadnoks are complete, my next goal will be getting all of these with boxes, and getting the corresponding figures from the box art. I picked these guys today to go ahead and complete the ones I had. I was also looking for a nice Spirit for my Forward Observer Unit, but each one I saw today was yellowed. I’m not in the mood to drop $75 for a bright blue one on eBay, so the hunt continues.

C3AF98B6-E37C-4437-83B2-CECBE84C8A8B.jpeg

A8F44839-7D4F-4758-8A34-0BECEBEEEC4F.jpeg

DD31CDE7-D173-4ED7-85C6-4C6D00C993D3.jpeg

E420CA90-13BB-4821-9491-2186D9992244.jpeg

63F50A11-EA83-44E7-B201-922659A09ABE.jpeg

B62F31FC-FF45-45D4-B100-C972E092689F.jpeg

Gnawgahyde has soooo many accessories.   A little tougher to complete than others. 

Checkpoint is one of my favorite mini sets.  The box looks really nice.

Patrick

On 8/1/2021 at 11:12 PM, followtheleader said:

Gnawgahyde has soooo many accessories.   A little tougher to complete than others. 

Checkpoint is one of my favorite mini sets.  The box looks really nice.

Patrick

Yes, exactly! There were a handful of Gnawgahyde’s in the room, but only one complete figure. I was hoping to buy one of the cheaper incomplete figures and spent a lot of time digging through weapons bins looking for his knife and wristblade, but never found them, so I gave in and paid up for the complete one. The accessories and sculpts from that wave were really cool. I had stopped collecting Joes by that point in my life, and apparently missed out on some really cool stuff.

I got that checkpoint in the same original owner auction where I got my Crimson Attack Tank, and all of that guy’s stuff was really nice. I love the battle stations because they come with so many neat accessories, are generally cheaper/less sought after than most of the full vehicles, and take less space to display with the boxes.