• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,349 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2022 at 9:22 AM, fantastic_four said:

What scale, and what exact style are you looking for?  Finding one that looks exactly like that one in the art you linked could be tough.

The best 1:18 scale Rex I know of is the recent Mattel Hammond Collection T-Rex; it's the first fully-articulated Rex in that scale that's ever been sold.  Creative Beast is also about to release a fully-articulated 1:18 scale Rex that's more scientifically accurate, but at $225 it's also far more expensive than the $50 Mattel Rex.  I was going to get the Creative Beast Rex, but once the Mattel Rex was announced earlier this year that's now my favorite one.

The best 1:12 scale Rex I know of is the Mattel Super Colossal Rex.  I have that one too.

The closest Rex to the style in that Batman art you posted that exhibits the traits paleontologists used to think applied to Rex that we now know is inaccurate I've seen is an older non-articulated Rex from a company called Papo, but that's really more of a statue than a toy figure and the scale wouldn't match most action figures if you want to display a Rex with other toys.

Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking maybe 12"-18" tall, and similar green to the comic book color green. I don't really care for articulation, nor do I care to spend more than $50, lol.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:08 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking maybe 12"-18" tall, and similar green to the comic book color green. I don't really care for articulation, nor do I care to spend more than $50, lol.

Does the Jurassic Park Rex style turn you off?  The pics below show the Hammond Collection Rex and is my favorite Rex toy of all time, can't recommend this guy enough.  Mattel has the Jurassic Park license, and they're cranking out the best dinosaur toys available.  You can get this Rex below from Target today for $50 MSRP, or with Target's current promotions he's on sale for 25% off plus you get a $10 gift certificate.  He's about 24" long and 8" to 12" tall depending upon what angle you pose the body at.

https://www.target.com/p/jurassic-world-hammond-collection-tyrannosaurus-rex-figure/-/A-84794347

First pic shows the 1:12 scale Super Colossal Rex on the left and the 1:18 Hammond Collection Rex on the right, and the second pic shows the Hammond Collection Rex eating a 6-inch Marvel Legends Happy Hogan figure.  MSRP on both is around $50 with the Super Colossal Rex being that price because he's barely articulated, although he has a fun feature where you can shove action figures down his throat and poop them out of his back side.  :insane:  Most 6-inch figures fit down his throat fine, and his stomach is big enough to store at least half a dozen figures of that size.  He's about 42 inches long and 12 to 18 inches tall depending upon the angle you pose the body at.

The thing I particularly love about Mattel's 1:18 scale Hammond Collection line is they just started it this year and they're cranking out TONS of dinosaur types that scale well together, are fully articulated, and relatively cheap.  So far they have a velociraptor, dilophosaurus, parasaurophalus, triceratops, gallimimus, Rex, baryonyx, ceratosaurus, and various human figures in 1:18 scale from the Jurassic Park movies with lots more on the way.  I have all of the figures from that line, and they're absolutely great, love them all.

I particularly love the paint job on the Hammond Collection Rex, it's really good.  The feet on all of those figures are oversized relative to how big they'd be on the real animals so that the figures are easier to stand up, so they're not the best with scientific accuracy both due to the big feet and the liberties the Jurassic Park franchise has taken to make species more impressive on film than the real animals were.

AL9nZEXGKxnIeGioG_4561A8ep585krHupuGXX8v_WvYQB6FdbYqaCItquiXmGmA5pyW1wFr1JKkbucqx8IW1K6RsiGHdEDUXrRJcfOI_mLbPj_WFvAXq_7dJSYDQukyj8XgPMf9o5ETv_ziLGLtnwlJBv9qpA=w4032-h2268 AL9nZEW2KMRqT30YT43C2MvxEcrSQ_i5VX6ZaxdBKupM48ZC4N3PBoM_FXkgjS-AtMJg2GJMOFbkgbryBpGq121JdzJMgxZvXBQhd6AuX9gWOHltR173fPJXE0RyqOPKdjsdDIqMpf35VtniaPNKsrLpYp1DVw=w4032-h2268

Edited by fantastic_four

Also if the Jurassic Park style doesn't turn you off Mattel has a bunch of more basic Rex toys they've created in the $20 to $30 range.  They have a relationship with Target to offer many of them exclusively at their stores, so just browsing the Jurassic Park section at a Target store or on their web site is a good way to go.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

Also if the Jurassic Park style doesn't turn you off Mattel has a bunch of more basic Rex toys they've created in the $20 to $30 range.  They have a relationship with Target to offer many of them exclusively at their stores, so just browsing the Jurassic Park section at a Target store or on their web site is a good way to go.

Thank you very much. Will check 'em out later today.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, MultiSig Mike said:
On 10/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

Thank you very much. Will check 'em out later today.

Also try searching "mattel rex" on eBay.  Mattel has made a LOT of Rex figures the last few years, and with that new Hammond Collection Rex just released a few months ago I'm sure a lot of collectors are upgrading to him and selling off their older Rex figures.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:16 PM, fantastic_four said:

I like this wave, particularly Maggott.   I wasn't familiar with him but the figure is the best-executed of the wave besides Bonebreaker and that awesome new Vulcan sculpt that they're planning to use as their mainstream male body from now on.

Maggott is the only figure of that wave I ordered. That was really the tail-end of my era of X-Men (I'd love a Cecilia Reyes) and I want anything designed by Joe Madureira. 

i havent seen this figure come up too often on heritage, but maybe i havent been paying attention to their toy auctions as much as their comic ones. seems like it would have gone for more had it been an AFA label. 

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie-tv-memorabilia/toys/star-wars-boba-fett-21-back-b-cas-80-c80-b80-f85-sw-early-release-kenner-1979-/a/7301-77063.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

boba-fett-heritage.jpg

On 10/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, Krismusic said:

Picked this up today at local comic shop!! Was so cool to play with it… going to have to get some pics of it lighted up.. comes with a cool collectible tin and tons of different heads and hands with fx 

EBC205B4-E7B6-4E37-B7DD-5F8E5E59730C.thumb.jpeg.373a9749e121cf5bbc3d2785b0057e77.jpeg

Nice score!! 

On 10/31/2022 at 6:58 AM, Cat said:

Nice score!! 

Thanks yeah it’s really cool had a clear arm to so you can pose wolverine in the air as well 

This is a stop-motion animation someone's done, but I've NEVER seen one this smooth before. It's beautifully done. 

Enjoy! 

https://imgur.com/gallery/ELiSv97

I'd really like the upcoming TVC Scout Trooper with Speeder Bike. No way I'm paying $48USD for the privilege, though. That's more than what I paid for the 6 inch Black Series ones!