• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

HAW!

How many copies of this scarce treasure have shown up on ebay this weekend?

Where did the Crimes font come from? I did a quick survey of Crime logos and didn't see it. From a pulp?

Jack

The "CRIMES" font was a standard Poster font that I made 3 dimensional and then drew in the cracks. I did this cover fairly quickly because I assumed that it would be taken as a joke. I knew that the pulp guys like BZ would recognize the image. The story about the missing Ajax/Farrell issue #15 coupled with Buck saying he saw one must have given this ruse some believability. If I had more time, I would have come up with an original image in the style of Don Heck. :insane:

HAW!

Where did the Crimes font come from? I did a quick survey of Crime logos and didn't see it. From a pulp?

Jack

The "CRIMES" font was a standard Poster font that I made 3 dimensional and then drew in the cracks. I did this cover fairly quickly because I assumed that it would be taken as a joke. I knew that the pulp guys like BZ would recognize the image. The story about the missing Ajax/Farrell issue #15 coupled with Buck saying he saw one must have given this ruse some believability. If I had more time, I would have come up with an original image in the style of Don Heck. :insane:

I grant thee...MORE TIME! :grin:

I wanna see! :wishluck:

HAW!

Jack

This was very, very naughty and you must promise to never do it again. (tsk)

:gossip: Unless it's for me.

Okay...I was reading my Adventures into Darkness 13 tonight and just now noticed the following in the story called, "Satan's Pawn". In a nutshell....

The artist is called Mr. Gaines. People tell him he has no talent and his art has no place. He then fights back, goes mad and kills those who put him down. In the end he is jailed. Then the jail guards outside his cell says, "Horrible and to think theres a lot more like him out there."

Foreshadowing of SOTI and the CCA? hm

If this has been posted before my bad but I stumbled on it myself and wanted to share.

AdventuresIntoDarkness1380-1954.jpg

ad.jpg

COOL Adventures into Darkness ....I feel that MANY of those STANDARD comics from that time period are REALLY TOUGH....Especially copies of UNSEEN ...WHO IS NEXT (one shot) is another that comes to mind...

I think that was a pretty good prank you played on us with that HORROR CRIMES, although I remained skeptical from the start.

It just goes to show how NEAT it would be to discover another cool PRE-CODE cover.

When I first saw your HORROR CRIMES my eyes BUGGED OUT kind of like when I first saw many of the covers when I cracked open my GERBER PHOTO-JOURNALS years ago.

I guess we get a bit JADED seeing the same covers OVER and OVER and.....

I guess that's why I'm so IN LOVE with my THIS MAG IS HAUNTED # 3....you never really see it.

THiH3.jpg

I just REALIZED that I'm not really sure why I tend to CAPITALIZE certain words....hmmmm.

I asked FM to do this and what he came up with was just awesome. The guy has skills.

Why did I do this?

I was just having a little fun after I made a typo in posting the hardest precode to get. I was going to do the inside next. However, the very kind posts from Shiverbones and Precode Keith about my trustworthiness made me feel guilty. :blush: So I had to quickly come clean.

Sure does sound like a precode title hm

It was a good joke. Probably the best joke I've seen on the boards. (thumbs u

So Andrew, was your nominee supposed to be "Monster Crime" or were you thinking of "The Horrors of the Underworld." ?? (shrug)

Several people have PMed me about the Lio strip. Lio is a nationally syndicated strip running in about 200 newspaper and so is Eek! I should post more examples of Eek!, it's a fun strip as well.

There are several online services that will email you strips daily as they appear in the paper (uclick.com, comics.com, ...) I subscribe to www.mycomicpages.com (part of the uclick network). Everyday I received my selected strips via email. The service is dirt cheap: $11.95 for a whole year subscription and well worth the 12 bucks (I mean, man, $ 1 a month!!). You get exposed to new strips, old standards, soaps, political cartoons, ... You guys should try it. The service allows for a 2-week free trial. Also, the site maintains a strip archive to go back and browse strip history. (thumbs u

Several people have PMed me about the Lio strip. Lio is a nationally syndicated strip running in about 200 newspaper and so is Eek! I should post more examples of Eek!, it's a fun strip as well.

There are several online services that will email you strips daily as they appear in the paper (uclick.com, comics.com, ...) I subscribe to www.mycomicpages.com (part of the uclick network). Everyday I received my selected strips via email. The service is dirt cheap: $11.95 for a whole year subscription and well worth the 12 bucks (I mean, man, $ 1 a month!!). You get exposed to new strips, old standards, soaps, political cartoons, ... You guys should try it. The service allows for a 2-week free trial. Also, the site maintains a strip archive to go back and browse strip history. (thumbs u

(thumbs u