• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

It was an uncanny and unbelievable experience. Jon Berk is such a warm and friendly person, and was happy talking to anyone and everyone. 

I also got to meet and spend some time with Junkdrawer, Squeggs, and ComicJack, all wonderful people and Gentlemen Scholars. 

I'll post a few additional photos soon. Here's one that needs no introduction. 

IMG_1606.JPG

Who is is this Gentlemen Scholars that you met? Is he a boardie?

2 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

lol

I suppose it's all relative in the world of the funny books! Let's just say, more gentlemanly than Billy Batson and Sheena and more scholarly than Woozy Winks. 

;)

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Gino, you could also bid on this:

IMG_1610.JPG

Oh gawd..........don't show me a close-up of that cover!  :censored:

Serves only to remind me of the time that I passed on the Allentown copy of this book when Harley was showing it to me.  Took the Allentown Wonderworld 13 instead, when I really should have been more greedy and taken both books.  :screwy:

Called Harley a couple of weeks later, only to find out the book was now in the hands of Metro and priced at almost doubled what Harley was willing to sell the book to me for.  doh!  :frustrated:

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Serves only to remind me of the time that I passed on the Allentown copy of this book when Harley was showing it to me.  Took the Allentown Wonderworld 13 instead, when I really should have been more greedy and taken both books.  :screwy:

Called Harley a couple of weeks later, only to find out the book was now in the hands of Metro and priced at almost doubled what Harley was willing to sell the book to me for.  doh!  :frustrated:

Sorry for triggering that PTSD moment for you. :frown: (At least you have the Wonderworld 13, which is a lot more Allentown than I can say!)

11 hours ago, adamstrange said:

The exhibit was set up in the reception area and one other small room.  Given the crowd and the lighting it was very hard to get decent pictures of the books.

Berkfest1.jpg

Berkfest2.jpg

Berkfest3.jpg

Berkfest4.jpg

Berkfest5.jpg

Berkfest6.jpg

Berkfest7.jpg

Adam;

Some fantastic photos that you have here and thanks for sharing with us!  (thumbsu

Absolutely love those 2 Mystery Men books down in your bottom photo there!!!  :cloud9:  :takeit:

BTW:  Since I don't see 18,000 books out here, did they pass out any breakfast invitations to select lucky collectors for the next day so that they can wheel out cartloads of boxes filled with comics for everybody to scarf away into their own huge piles?  lol

Jon did admit to keeping a book or two and one of them is his duplicate copy of Mystery Men 3, the Larson.

2 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sorry for triggering that PTSD moment for you. :frown: (At least you have the Wonderworld 13, which is a lot more Allentown than I can say!)

Unfortunately, I don't anymore.  :cry:

You'll have to ask some weird looking tall Texan dude about this one now.  :gossip:

I decided to turf this one out since it was at the end of the Wonderworld run that I was unable to complete, and I also wanted to see how CGC's grading was like when they first opened their doors back in 2000.  Looks like it came out alright since it got a CGC 9.6 grade and it sold at auction for something like 7X top of guide.  :whatthe:  :banana:

Needless to say, apparently the tall Texan paid a lot less for the book in the end, with his superior gun slinging negotiating skills.  (thumbsu

30 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I was wondering about that. Did he keep anything that he just couldn't part with or was it an all or nothing senario?

Jon chose what he wanted to keep but it is very, very minimal.  His collection is essentially being sold off in this upcoming auction.

Edited by adamstrange

10 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Jon chose what he wanted to keep but it is very, very minimal.  His collection is essentially being sold off in this upcoming auction.

Do you know if his entire collection will be sold in their next auction,or will it be broken into several auctions?

13 minutes ago, Electron said:

Do you know if his entire collection will be sold in their next auction,or will it be broken into several auctions?

I don't know with certainty, but given it's size, I would think it would have to be spread across multiple auctions. 

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:
4 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

lol

I suppose it's all relative in the world of the funny books! Let's just say, more gentlemanly than Billy Batson and Sheena and more scholarly than Woozy Winks. 

;)

I'll more than settle for those comparisons! :)

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't know with certainty, but given it's size, I would think it would have to be spread across multiple auctions. 

That's what I was thinking(hoping) as well. Just wondered if anyone who attended knew for sure.

37 minutes ago, Electron said:
44 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That's what I was thinking(hoping) as well. Just wondered if anyone who attended knew for sure.

CC averages around 1.5-2K books per auction. No way they'll have 18K books in one auction.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Jon did admit to keeping a book or two and one of them is his duplicate copy of Mystery Men 3, the Larson.

It's fitting that he should keep a Larson.....that one book could easily open the floodgates to ALL the memories of 5 decades of collecting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

CC averages around 2K books per auction. No way they'll have 18K books in one auction.

They obviously know their business a lot better than I do, but if it were me, I would spread the big books across at least a couple of auctions to let the underbidders gather themselves for the next round and the winners have a chance to replenish their war chests.  I realize, though, there's a school of thought that grouping the best books together in a single auction ups the excitement level and yields better results.